GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wireless Internet??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/10/05 at 09:39
Regular
I have a PC downstairs with 1MB broadband supplied by NTL, and my son would like broadband upstairs in his bedroom, so I rang NTL last night and tried to purchase the £17.99 a month broadband package, but they were very reluctant to sell it to me and suggested I got wireless internet, so basically, how do I get wireless internet? What do I need? How much will it cost? And how do I set it up?

I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks.
Tue 25/10/05 at 00:10
"High polygon count"
Good to hear!
Mon 24/10/05 at 14:54
Regular
Couldn't for the life of me get that Buffalo equipment set up, so went down to my local PC World, and they recommened that i get a Belkin set up, so i did, got it home and had it up and running within 10 minutes!

So thanks for all your help and suggestions, much appreciated.
Fri 21/10/05 at 13:24
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
If you are having trouble getting it to work I'd suggest calling the helpline for the hardware you purchased.
They will be able to provide much better help.
Fri 21/10/05 at 13:03
"High polygon count"
Sorry, can't give any specific help as I don't know the hardware.

If all else fails, I'd recommend returning what you have and getting the Actiontec package I linked to earlier. They are ridiculously simple to get working.
Thu 20/10/05 at 10:03
Regular
I'm finding it very hard to install the Buffalo Airstation software, as all i keep on getting in the right hand corner is no adaptor??
Wed 19/10/05 at 14:35
"High polygon count"
There's not a lot I can say in the way of exact instructions that will be of much use, as each system is usually set up with its own software.

I've got one of the older Actiontec models (bought it through NTL a few years ago now) and it was beautifully simple to set up. I just had to plug in the hardware and insert the CD-ROM - that took care of everything.

My own router is hardwired to the cable modem, and my PC is hardwired to that. The second PC is connected wirelessly through a USB dongle (basically an external network card).

Your router should have 2 IP addresses, one for the local network (usually 192.168.0.1) and one for the NTL network (usually something like 81.nnn.nnn.nnn). Each PC should be allocated an address of 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3 and so on.

On the Actiontec set-up, all this is taken care of by the supplied CD-ROM.
Wed 19/10/05 at 13:34
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Any more questions, just ask - I'm with NTL and have a wireless
> set-up, so I'll do my best to help.

I have bought a 54mpbs wireless cable/dsl router and a 54mbps wireless lan pc adapter.

I have managed to fit the card into my PC, but i am struggling with setting the actual network up. any tips or pointers you could give me?

Cheers
Tue 18/10/05 at 19:32
"High polygon count"
Microfilters are useless with NTL as they supply through proper fibre-optic cable and not BT's dodgy phone lines.

All you need should be here: [URL]http://bbplus.ntlworld.com/help/services/wireless/[/URL]

Any more questions, just ask - I'm with NTL and have a wireless set-up, so I'll do my best to help.
Tue 18/10/05 at 19:26
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Tyla; When I was with NTL they didn't use a phone line for broadband, it was the same dual core cable that is used for their set top boxes and this plugged into an external modem which could then be connected to the PC via USB or ethernet.

Does the required equipment change? - Or will it be a case of using USB for the modem and using the ethernet port with the router?
Tue 18/10/05 at 13:40
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
What they mean is, you are already a customer, which is why they are reluctant. What they are suggesting by "wireless internet" is that you set up a small wireless network between the two computers so that they both share one connection to the internet. That way, you get broadband internet on both computers without having to sign up again for a second package.

The equipment you use for this will vary in price from shop to shop, but I'll assume you'll be buying from Special Reserve here, so below is a list of the eqipment you will need in order to set this up, and links to the devices for more info:

1 x Wireless Access Point [URL]http://specialreserve.co.uk/US-Robotics-SureConn_4669_r.html[/URL]
1 x Wireless Network Card for your son's computer [URL]http://specialreserve.co.uk/US-Robotics-SureConn_4745_r.html[/URL]
Microfilters

The amount of microfilters you will need depends on how many phone sockets you have in your home and how many you are currently using. If broadband is already working as it should on your computer downstairs though, then you probably have all the microfilters you need, and they are probably already set up properly.

To make it all work, you simply plug 'em all in as described in each instruction manual for each device.

Good luck!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.