GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Course Changing [uni]"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/10/05 at 13:30
Regular
"SOUP!"
Has anyone else (not just this year, but like, ever) changed their uni course?

Journalism is an absolute joke. I'm in a class with people who don't know what a sentence is and at the end of the day, news is boring, the writing is generic (they try to robotise our writing) and the career prospects are slim.

I've decided to drop my course.

Initially I considered being a bum and staying in bed for at leasy 8 weeks, sobbing and touching myself. However after 15 minutes of this I decided to do a different course.

I'm now, hopefully, going to do BA(hons) Public Relations. It's a year longer than my previous degree course was going to be (so it's a 4-year thingy) with a placement for a year which I get paid for (wooh) and stuff.

Just wondered how other people who have changed courses (or have friends who have changed, etc) have found the transition to be.

Oh and I know I'm an indecisive pansy before anyone points it out. I've come to terms with that.
Tue 18/10/05 at 21:52
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Media is interesting. Not sure I'd do it at degree level, but horses for courses. People can do whatever they want, who are you to deny them that?

I'm liking my History/Philosophy - in fact, one might argue they are both useless in terms of jobs, very popular, and not always the hardest things to do, yet why are they not considered rubbish? Cos they're older?
Tue 18/10/05 at 18:34
Regular
"SOUP!"
Changed today.

Nice and deliciously sorted!

Just got to sort out loan rubbish. Gah!
Mon 17/10/05 at 17:38
Wow, like media related courses suck? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT

There's a good course down at Swansea, BA Surfing w/ Management. It'll do you good.
Mon 17/10/05 at 16:28
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
One of my mates changed his course while at uni.
He found the change quite easy, but he got a lot of information from the course organisers and managed to do it early on in the year. If you are going to change do it as soon as you can, don't want to be too far behind with the new course material.
Mon 17/10/05 at 14:38
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Sounds alright then, thought it was some customer service course that lasted 4 years.

New isn't boring either so there.
Mon 17/10/05 at 14:27
Regular
Paradox: wrote:
> OddToe wrote:
> If it means you have to work with the public, don't bother doing it.
> Most members of the public you would be made to deal with are much
> worse than those on your current course.
>
> It's not like social work or customer services or something; it seems
> like that's what you're thinking about. I thought PR was basically
> that before I actually looked at the course.
>
> Qualifications mean jack.
>
> So you're a dropout, huh? :-)

Actually I am at College. I wouldn't mind dropping out though - its not as though im actually learning much.
Mon 17/10/05 at 13:54
Regular
"..."
Ah right, well I didn't change my course, did Software engineering from start to finish, although I did swap a few modules around when I decided they were rubbish. The obvious example was changing 'Computer Communications' (the joys of learning how computers communicate with each other) for visual programming, which was also pretty bad, although I was able to cheat by downloading code off t'internet (I got caught before anyone says anything!).
Mon 17/10/05 at 13:52
Regular
"SOUP!"
OddToe wrote:
> If it means you have to work with the public, don't bother doing it.
> Most members of the public you would be made to deal with are much
> worse than those on your current course.

It's not like social work or customer services or something; it seems like that's what you're thinking about. I thought PR was basically that before I actually looked at the course.

> Qualifications mean jack.

So you're a dropout, huh? :-)
Mon 17/10/05 at 13:51
Regular
"SOUP!"
I've spoken to the uni, I'm not just going to start turning up to different lectures :-)

I need to fill out a few forms and talk to some people. A guy is rinigng me at 5 to see if I have been accepted onto the course.

Sheepy: Public Relations is basically a broad communications course. 'Communications' sounds really slack like 'media studies' or something. But basically it's like journalism, only has more career prospects. It's about writing and speaking to audiences/customers/etc. All big companies have public relations and it's pretty decently paid in most circumstances too.

Here's the course overview: [URL]http://www.ukac.org/courses.asp?id=bapr[/URL]
Mon 17/10/05 at 13:45
Regular
"..."
I'd speak to your uni about this, there's usually forms to be filled in and stuff but each uni seems to have a different procedure.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.