GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC34 - Deep in a hole"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/10/05 at 22:27
"possibly impossible"
In a hole. Deep in a hole. Down here no one can hear me. Oh, yes, they may pass by overhead, but here only the worms keep me company. No rescue for me.

They tell me things I don’t want to hear. It’s dark and damp and the worms are whispering to me. ‘Try to stay calm’ they say, ‘it’s just a matter of time’. But what do they know? They’re just worms, hollow to the core.

It’s warm, even with the damp. At least that’s something. I did try to call out before, but I’m not bothering now. The blackness seems to muffle my calls and my heart is not in it any more.

There it goes. Another shiver in my bones. The smell of the earth, the earth in my toenails. The ground is life, but it doesn’t let up it’s life to me. People I knew are earth now. Perhaps we will meet. So nice to meet you, earth.

The wood went first, before I met the worms. Splinters and creaks rattled through my eardrums. I worried then, but it was nothing really. Now I know. Now I realise. Now I understand what I’m doing here.

No rescue for me. Not down here. Deep in a hole.
Sun 16/10/05 at 22:27
"possibly impossible"
In a hole. Deep in a hole. Down here no one can hear me. Oh, yes, they may pass by overhead, but here only the worms keep me company. No rescue for me.

They tell me things I don’t want to hear. It’s dark and damp and the worms are whispering to me. ‘Try to stay calm’ they say, ‘it’s just a matter of time’. But what do they know? They’re just worms, hollow to the core.

It’s warm, even with the damp. At least that’s something. I did try to call out before, but I’m not bothering now. The blackness seems to muffle my calls and my heart is not in it any more.

There it goes. Another shiver in my bones. The smell of the earth, the earth in my toenails. The ground is life, but it doesn’t let up it’s life to me. People I knew are earth now. Perhaps we will meet. So nice to meet you, earth.

The wood went first, before I met the worms. Splinters and creaks rattled through my eardrums. I worried then, but it was nothing really. Now I know. Now I realise. Now I understand what I’m doing here.

No rescue for me. Not down here. Deep in a hole.
Mon 17/10/05 at 20:18
Regular
"Catch it!"
Short but good. I liked it.
Sun 23/10/05 at 11:37
"Retarded List"
Interesting.

As Bob said, a bit short, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Sun 23/10/05 at 13:54
Regular
"Great minds think alike", as they say.

I also thought the best way to write the story was in the first person, simply because there was some interesting little slants that could be put into the situation.

My story was more psychological, but I thought this was a very good example of how to write from the mind of someone who was stuck underground, writing about the physical descriptions.

For me it was the repitition of some comments that are simply associated with being underground and death, combined with the imagery it created. References to death and decay made it atmospheric.

So, yeah, good stuff.
Wed 26/10/05 at 14:27
Regular
I don't think it's too short. It felt, maybe, a bit too rushed, but I liked the length. Felt right for the despair the story conveys.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.