GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wireless Network"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/10/04 at 09:20
I want to hook my Xbox up to the net. But my tv/Xbox set up is in another room, far away from my broadband connection and computer.

So I was thinking of setting up a wireless connection. I was wondering if anybody here has done or has look in to the possibilities of setting one up?

Any advice on price of the set-up, difficulty or feasibility would be great.
Wed 06/10/04 at 09:52
Regular
I use a Netgear setup, as follows:

[URL]http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=12&products_id=91[/URL] - Netgear DG834G
This is a fantastic wireless Modem/router combo. Easy-to-use web-style GUI, very stable and can be customised loads for port forwarding, reserved local IPs and connection details. And now, with the V2 model, it's tiny and even better looking than the original. You can get cheaper out there, but I'd recommend Netgear every time.

[URL]http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=12&products_id=73[/URL] - Netgear WGE101 Wireless Bridge
This device plugs into the back of your Xbox. Again, very stable and never lost a connection. You need to enter a few settings into your Xbox before it'll recognise the bridge though. Stuff like MAC address and IP if I remember rightly. Nothing too complicated. Once set up, it'll run just like a normal wired connection!

Now, like I said before, you can get cheaper. But these are the ones I use and can honestly say, hand on heart, I've never had a problem that was due to fault of equipment (any problems have been caused by my own error).

Plus, there's also the bonus of 802.11G capability, if you have thick walls or there is a bigger distance than 2 adjecent rooms.
Wed 06/10/04 at 09:20
I want to hook my Xbox up to the net. But my tv/Xbox set up is in another room, far away from my broadband connection and computer.

So I was thinking of setting up a wireless connection. I was wondering if anybody here has done or has look in to the possibilities of setting one up?

Any advice on price of the set-up, difficulty or feasibility would be great.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.