GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fitting 3rd HDD"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 13/10/05 at 09:34
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I know it may sound like a dumb question but is it possible to fit a 3rd HDD to a PC if you already have 2 Optical Drives and 2 HDDs? I have 2 120GB IDE HDD and saw a 300GB IDE for just over £80 and at the moment I could really do with some extra space. How do I go about fitting a 3rd HDD as I think I have used the IDE spaces up as I have 2 cables, 1 for the Optical drives and 1 for the HDDs. The Mobo is a Abit NF7-S 2.0, any advice would be great.

EDIT I see the mobo has only 2 IDE connectors so it means I cant connect any thing else. But it has 2 SATA ports. I remember when building the system it had something about SATA but I think the drives werent out or it didnt work properly as you needed to use a extra box thing.
Thu 13/10/05 at 12:11
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
If your unsure about the SATA ports on the MB, then ignore them. But I'd suggest getting a SATA controller card instead of an IDE and going SATA with the new HDD as this would prevent youhaving to replace all your IDE's with SATA if you ever had to upgrade (iirc you get 4 ports on a SATA control card too)
Thu 13/10/05 at 09:53
"High polygon count"
You'll need to get a PCI IDE controller card if you want to add more drives.

I have seen them before, but I've just had a quick look here, and on eBuyer and dabs, and couldn't see them.

Alternatively, replace both of your current drives with larger versions! :-)
Thu 13/10/05 at 09:34
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I know it may sound like a dumb question but is it possible to fit a 3rd HDD to a PC if you already have 2 Optical Drives and 2 HDDs? I have 2 120GB IDE HDD and saw a 300GB IDE for just over £80 and at the moment I could really do with some extra space. How do I go about fitting a 3rd HDD as I think I have used the IDE spaces up as I have 2 cables, 1 for the Optical drives and 1 for the HDDs. The Mobo is a Abit NF7-S 2.0, any advice would be great.

EDIT I see the mobo has only 2 IDE connectors so it means I cant connect any thing else. But it has 2 SATA ports. I remember when building the system it had something about SATA but I think the drives werent out or it didnt work properly as you needed to use a extra box thing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.