GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Spiking' Connection"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/10/05 at 15:00
Regular
"Selected"
My brother has a 1Mbps connection that 'spikes' when playing Battlefield 2. One minute the game will be working fine with a ping of around 20, the next minute the screen judders and his ping shoots up to 400. It'll settle down after a second but this happens randomly and often. This happened before and after a format of the hard drive too.

The weird thing is, I'm on a 512kbps connection with the same ISP (Karoo)and can play the game perfectly - he's on a faster connection and can't and he only lives down the road! His system spec is pretty much the same as mine and his modem is the same so we're baffled as to what's causing it.

Could it be a problem with his telephone line?

Any ideas?
Mon 10/10/05 at 02:39
Regular
"Captain to you."
Does his house have cordless phones? Just they can cause signal problems as i assume his is through the phone line not a broad band line.

I only recently learnt that this was the cause of my connection problems so now i just go downstairs and turn the phone hub off for a second and my connection is fixed.

Yeah if he has speed-step on his computer, tell him to check in his BIOs and disable it as it's gay and causes lagging.
Mon 10/10/05 at 02:11
Regular
"Selected"
YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY MOUTH ICARUS.

Seems to be fixed now anyway, alot of people have it with the new patch. Turning VoIP off and deleting the BF2 folder in My Documents seemed to work for some strange reason.
Sun 09/10/05 at 20:07
I hope you didn't do a format just because of this problem.
Sun 09/10/05 at 19:14
Regular
Line contention?
Sun 09/10/05 at 16:55
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I get this too with my laptop - something to do with speedstep? The (weird) solution is to take out the power adaptor, then it clears for about 30 seconds, then will happen again and I have to put the adaptor back in. Vice versa if it's already running on batteries.

Very odd.
Sat 08/10/05 at 15:00
Regular
"Selected"
My brother has a 1Mbps connection that 'spikes' when playing Battlefield 2. One minute the game will be working fine with a ping of around 20, the next minute the screen judders and his ping shoots up to 400. It'll settle down after a second but this happens randomly and often. This happened before and after a format of the hard drive too.

The weird thing is, I'm on a 512kbps connection with the same ISP (Karoo)and can play the game perfectly - he's on a faster connection and can't and he only lives down the road! His system spec is pretty much the same as mine and his modem is the same so we're baffled as to what's causing it.

Could it be a problem with his telephone line?

Any ideas?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.