GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Messy Client"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/10/05 at 22:27
Regular
"NULL"
Right, I've gotta hold my hands up to this one. I made a mistake. I didn't sign a contract with this client. Now they're changing the specification and I've not been paid yet.

They're also asking me to do things that I can do, but really don't want to. They want it so that when you go to the website, you see the logo filling the screen, which then spins and spirals up to the top corner of the screen whilst fading to reveal the home page behind it.

Oh, and they want some content that will stay in place as you scroll the rest of the page behind it.

The way I see it is, I have two options.

1) I do the work they're asking me to, which will take me a few more days, then hopefully I'll get paid. Bearing in mind, it will make the site look tacky and outdated, and there is no way I'd be able to put it in my portfolio because it will look awful.

2) I email them and tell them I'm dropping the project, that they don't owe me anything, and that they can keep their artwork. I then rebrand the site and run it myself - it's an advertising site so that'd be easy to do.
Sat 08/10/05 at 12:22
Regular
"NULL"
I've emailed them today and made it clear that they have two options.

Since the site is all done according to the original specification and hence quote, that I will upload the site and then send them an invoice for £880.

Alternatively, we can end it here - they will owe me nothing, and I'll retain the source code for my own use.

Either way, the project shall endeth.

Damned clients. Lol.
Sat 08/10/05 at 10:51
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Ooh, ouch, what a mess you've gotten yourself in to. It's time like these when a solicitor and professional contract writers fees are worth it!

Don't know what to say really, except "suck it up" - you've learnt the hard way that clients don't have a clue what goes into building bits of websites, but they do have a clue that not having a specific brief of the work written down and signed makes you their beehutch. Basically, you have little/no argument.

EDIT: And I agree with Tyla, not Wookie - reputation is more important than the money. You're off to Uni, yeah? What do you need to worry about money for, that's what the loan is for!? It's no good pitching for your next job and asking this client for a reference if they're not happy. You'll be penniless anyway, I've yet to meet the graduate that isn't, so a good reputation is priceless.
Fri 07/10/05 at 23:07
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Nimco wrote:
> Right, I've gotta hold my hands up to this one. I made a mistake. I
> didn't sign a contract with this client. Now they're changing the
> specification and I've not been paid yet.

Firstly... You tw@t! YOU NEVER DO ANYTHING WITHOUT A WRITTEN CONTRACT OF SOME FORM!!

Right now thats out of the way...

1. Do you have any correspondence, emails, brief, propsal or anything such like which has their sign off?

2. Prepare to suck up and lose a little face on this one. This could be damaging to your reputation, and despite everything else, reputation is more important than the money.

> They're also asking me to do things that I can do, but really don't
> want to. They want it so that when you go to the website, you see the
> logo filling the screen, which then spins and spirals up to the top
> corner of the screen whilst fading to reveal the home page behind
> it.

Yup, that sucks, but we all end up having to do stuff sometimes which goes against what we know best. The problem here is the client is always right whether you agree or not. They're paying for this and if you have nothing at all in writing/email agreeing to the spec of the site, you either go with it or prepare to lose a fat wad of cash...

> The way I see it is, I have two options.
>
> 1) I do the work they're asking me to, which will take me a few more
> days, then hopefully I'll get paid. Bearing in mind, it will make the
> site look tacky and outdated, and there is no way I'd be able to put
> it in my portfolio because it will look awful.

Recovery time...

1) Agree to do the extra work, but do this in wrting/email and get them to sign off the changes as being the final set before invoice. You make it clear that what they have asked for falls out side of the original scope, but you are willing, this once, to over look this. Anything after this work will be charged at an additional rate.

2) Ignore the site looking tacky, and don't worry about the portfolio, I have 20 odd sites myself which have never ever been shown to prospective clients, so ommiting this one isn't an issue. These things happen, clients always think they know better, and at the end of the day they have the purse strings. If it looks crap, that's there problem, not yours.

> 2) I email them and tell them I'm dropping the project, that they
> don't owe me anything, and that they can keep their artwork. I then
> rebrand the site and run it myself - it's an advertising site so
> that'd be easy to do.

DON'T. £900 is a lot of money to throw away. Swallow your pride and just think of the money. There's nothing saying that you have to keep working with these people after the project is finished.

As for ownership. It's a merky one. Techniclally, thay own the design rights and the source code, but due to the nature of the internet, you also own the rights to that code unless other wise stated in an agreement with the client. If there is no agreement of ownership, then your sorted. Do the site, deliver it, get the money and then do what you want.
Fri 07/10/05 at 22:33
Regular
"NULL"
Thing is, if I accept money, then they have a claim to the work. Since I never signed a contract, they could argue that their claim includes a claim to the source code.

On the basis that they owe me just under £900 and a subscription to the site will cost £99 a year, if I run the site (which is designed to be completely autonomous), I need just 9 customers and I've got my money back in a year.
Fri 07/10/05 at 22:30
"High polygon count"
Try (1), then if they change again, go with (2)?

Better to have the money, I'd say.

"Don't cut off you nose to spite your face," as they say. Whoever "they" are.
Fri 07/10/05 at 22:27
Regular
"NULL"
Right, I've gotta hold my hands up to this one. I made a mistake. I didn't sign a contract with this client. Now they're changing the specification and I've not been paid yet.

They're also asking me to do things that I can do, but really don't want to. They want it so that when you go to the website, you see the logo filling the screen, which then spins and spirals up to the top corner of the screen whilst fading to reveal the home page behind it.

Oh, and they want some content that will stay in place as you scroll the rest of the page behind it.

The way I see it is, I have two options.

1) I do the work they're asking me to, which will take me a few more days, then hopefully I'll get paid. Bearing in mind, it will make the site look tacky and outdated, and there is no way I'd be able to put it in my portfolio because it will look awful.

2) I email them and tell them I'm dropping the project, that they don't owe me anything, and that they can keep their artwork. I then rebrand the site and run it myself - it's an advertising site so that'd be easy to do.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.