GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Timmargh"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/10/05 at 13:48
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
I've just been forwarded a load of emails to do with disability.

It says here:

"The government's own 'Minister for disabled people' (Anne McGuire) refers to herself as just that. Many disabled people find the term 'people with disabilities' offensive and most of the major disability charities - RADAR, Scope etc - use the term 'disabled people'. The Department for Work and Pensions who lead on disability issues also use this preferred term."

What the fu..? Unless I've gone mental that's saying that the term 'people with disabilities' is offensive, while the term 'disabled people' is not.

I don't know any other wheelies I can ask - can you explain this horsesh!t to me?
Fri 07/10/05 at 12:38
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Cycloon wrote:
> Timmargh, how exactly are you disabled?

I was born with FSH muscular dystrophy - [URL]http://timmargh.net/2005/04/fsh_muscular_dy.php[/URL]

Niddle wrote:
> Timmargh, if you end up completely plastered on a night, do you wake up and find that
> you've been wheeled into wierd/wonderful/odd places?

It has happened, yes. One particular night I was out in Stratford-on-Avon with a mate and we both got completely lashed and decided to go to a club. Unfortunately, I passed out in a corner and woke up when they turned all the lights on and the cleaners came in - my mate was nowhere to be seen but was soon discovered sat on the bog (also passed out) by one of the bouncers. We were both somewhat embarrassed ...

monkey_man wrote:
> ... other...er..."ability-challenged"...people may take offence, which makes it awkward
> for anyone confronted with a situation where they don't know how to approach you.
> That's why someone, somewhere, has to decide what you are, as opposed to
> who you are - for the sake of proles.

I agree it's difficult for people to know what to say to crips - I sometimes have the same trouble when meeting a fellow crip because, as I said before, there are a few around with big chips on their shoulders ... a crip chip, if you like.

Meka Dragon wrote:
> Aye, your acceptance of the term crip, and light-hearted use of, means it now slips off
> my tongue at the worst times, with me vacantly thinking I've said nothing wrong.
>
> I think it was 'cripmobile'.

Your Honour wrote:
> I've done the same Meka. I used the term "Crip My Ride" at a rather inappropriate moment...

Hahaha! That's great. Seriously, though, if people take offence just tell them why you said it and they'll probably understand - if they don't then sod 'em.

I've got a mate who's gay and another who's bisexual and I call them both "queerboys" and this has gotten me into trouble when I've used it conversation with someone I don't know - they immediately assume I'm a homophobe.
Fri 07/10/05 at 10:25
Regular
I've done the same Meka. I used the term "Crip My Ride" at a rather inappropriate moment...
Fri 07/10/05 at 09:46
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yeah, I agree with Meka and his homo community.
Fri 07/10/05 at 09:44
Regular
"not dead"
Aye, your acceptance of the term crip, and light-hearted use of, means it now slips off my tongue at the worst times, with me vacantly thinking I've said nothing wrong.

I think it was 'cripmobile'.

Now for the patronising bit. It's okay for you to use the term 'crip' Timmargh, you're reclaiming the word, much in the same way as the homosexual community have taken back terms previously deemed unnacceptable. ;o)
Fri 07/10/05 at 09:39
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Timmargh wrote:
> And calling someone "handi-capable" will probably get you a wheelchair > on your foot or worse.

Ahahaha, nice mental image of Timmy owning someone's foot.

> My fondness of the term "crip" is partly because it's easy
> for me to say (I have speech problems with certain letters) but
> mostly because it shocks people and snaps them out of the usual way
> people talk to me when they realise I can joke about it.

But that's ok for you, because you're a jolly fellow (online, anyway), but other...er..."ability-challenged"...people may take offence, which makes it awkward for anyone confronted with a situation where they don't know how to approach you. That's why someone, somewhere, has to decide what you are, as opposed to who you are - for the sake of proles.
Fri 07/10/05 at 09:28
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Tops, thanks for that Timmargh. Kinda suspected as much but...well, didn't want to fall into the same trap as these PC cockwallahs; that of assuming a particular group of society is less capable of thinking for themselves and arriving at their own conclusions.
Thu 06/10/05 at 23:18
"slightlyshortertagl"
Random crip-question that just came to me...

Timmargh, if you end up completely plastered on a night, do you wake up and find that you've been wheeled into wierd/wonderful/odd places?
Thu 06/10/05 at 23:18
this summer, I volunteered at a Vitalise centre which is like a holiday camp for disabled people, though anyone could go if they want to. there were various excursions and whatnot, and my god the attitudes of some people really pisssed me off.

one was to a shopping centre, and each volunteer was assigned to a guest. I got a guy called Howard, who was really decent, and a kinda manical Arsenal fan, so we could talk really endlessly about football.

anyway, when we were going round the shopping centre, when we went into shops, assistants nearly always talked to me instead of Howard, even though I clearly wasn't showing any interest. he had some degnerative muscle condition, which meant that he couldn't speak very loudly, but whenever he tried, they just completely ignored him and looked at me instead, and it was really really irritating. eventually when we went into shops I just turned my back on the assistant and went to look at something else if they tried to talk to me, it was the only way they'd listen to Howard

another thing was some of the shop assistants were just over eager, trying to do things which he could clearly do himself, and just complicating matters. another thing they did was if they didn't hear him, instead of asking him to repeat they looked at me balnkly, it was just so incredibly rude

aaargh, some people
Thu 06/10/05 at 23:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Timmargh, how exactly are you disabled?
Thu 06/10/05 at 23:05
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Light: most people who decide which terms are offensive and which are not aren't actually disabled - they just assume disabled people will take offence. Some terms are frowned upon, e.g. "special", "brave" and other patronising stuff - we're not brave, we're just getting on with it. Any crip who takes offence at "disabled" or "handicapped" most likely has a chip on their shoulder. And calling someone "handi-capable" will probably get you a wheelchair on your foot or worse.

Personally I don't care what people call me as I know a lot of perambulators just don't know how to handle it - they get flustered and worried I'll take offence. I never take offence ... unless I'm being patronised. That's usually the case with anyone who has a disability of any kind, e.g. a stutter, deafness etc.

My fondness of the term "crip" is partly because it's easy for me to say (I have speech problems with certain letters) but mostly because it shocks people and snaps them out of the usual way people talk to me when they realise I can joke about it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.