GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC 33: The Veg Cupboard"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/10/05 at 13:17
Regular
"For One Night Only"
Banjo the terrier was snoozing in the light of an upstairs window of his house. His sister Jodo was sat downstairs in the kitchen, a look of interest upon her shaggy face.

Del had come home by this point. His sister Jenna was already at home and his parents were both at work. There was no Banjo to jump up at him and say hello though; and quite unusually Jodo had no intention of leaving her post in the kitchen to welcome him home the way a loyal pet does.

"Del" Jenna said as they both strode into the kitchen while Del put the kettle on. "I think there might be something like a bird or something in the kitchen. Jodo keeps whining and staring at the cupboards, and I'm sure I keep hearing fluttering."

Sure enough, the boisterous terrier in the kitchen was wagging her tail at an unseen something in the direction of the veg cupboard.

"Has she been in the crawl space next to the washer?" asked Del.
"Yeah" replied Jenna, and they eyed each other suspiciously.

Banjo never went in the crawl space by the washing machine. It was something only Jodo did, and usually when she was up to something.

"I'll get the torch" said Del without enthusiasm. After gulping down some of the tea he'd been making while in the kitchen, he hurried upstairs to his parents' bedroom to get the torch. He stroked Banjo, who wasn't too interested as Del was disturbing his light; and hurried out again, back to the kitchen.

Del forced himself through the crawlspace, torch in hand, looking for the sign of a bird. There was nothing in there. Jodo was still kicking up a fuss, however, and Jenna decided that it was best to take her upstairs incase she attacked whatever she was trying to find. Del put down his torch and he and Jenna opened every cupboard, even looked in the slightly open oven, and found nothing. They turned off the washing machine and the dryer, eventually, and decided just to listen out for any fluttering noises.

A couple of minutes went by and they decided that they were imagining things and shut all the cupboards. Jenna went back upstairs and sent Jodo back down incase she wanted to go out. The dog, naturally, went straight back to the kitchen and stared enthusistically at the cupboards again.

Del sniggered and planted himself in the lounge with a book, telling Jodo that there was nothing there. Then he heard it, a flutter. It definately came from the veg cupboard, but it couldn't have done, he'd looked in there already.

The sink above the veg cupboard, ofcourse, how had he not thought to look there? Look, he did, though. Again, there was nothing. It HAD to have come from that cupboard!

Crouching down, he grabbed Jodo's collar firmly and slowly re-opened the veg cupboard. "AAAAGGGGHHHH!" was his initial reaction as a bird flew right over him and smacked into the livingroom window. He shoved Jodo back upstairs, and came back down with Jenna to show her the bird. It seemed fine, though it looked panicky.

Together, they opened all the windows and the front and back doors. They tried to shoo the bird out but it kept flying back and forth between the two bottom corners of the window. Del decided to quit being a coward and just grab it. It took that one attempt, and before Del could even grab it, it soared past him and out the front door.

Mission accomplished, Jenna went back upstairs yet again and sent the two dogs back down. Banjo curled up on the sofa; and Jodo just stared at the window menacingly, hoping she hadn't lost her prey. How long that bird had been stuck in that cupboard, Del didn't know. Nor did he know how it had even got in there, AND he'd already checked it.

However, after a few scary hours trapped in a tiny dark space with a vicious dog waiting for it outside, the bird was now free.
Mon 10/10/05 at 15:58
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Well written and well told, but as has been said, not sure if it fits the theme.
Sun 09/10/05 at 20:52
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Well I read it but have no comments to make other than transforming a trapped bird into a freed bird is stretching the Alchemy link a bit thin :)
Fri 07/10/05 at 19:19
Regular
"For One Night Only"
Fri 07/10/05 at 19:14
Regular
"not dead"
In which case it did its job well. ;o)
Fri 07/10/05 at 19:11
Regular
"For One Night Only"
It WAS an account. It's based on what happened to me the day before I wrote it. The names were different, ofcourse...
Fri 07/10/05 at 13:27
Regular
"not dead"
More like an account of an event than a story. Could have done with a bit more tension.
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:31
Regular
"Catch it!"
Very good I liked it.
Wed 05/10/05 at 13:17
Regular
"For One Night Only"
Banjo the terrier was snoozing in the light of an upstairs window of his house. His sister Jodo was sat downstairs in the kitchen, a look of interest upon her shaggy face.

Del had come home by this point. His sister Jenna was already at home and his parents were both at work. There was no Banjo to jump up at him and say hello though; and quite unusually Jodo had no intention of leaving her post in the kitchen to welcome him home the way a loyal pet does.

"Del" Jenna said as they both strode into the kitchen while Del put the kettle on. "I think there might be something like a bird or something in the kitchen. Jodo keeps whining and staring at the cupboards, and I'm sure I keep hearing fluttering."

Sure enough, the boisterous terrier in the kitchen was wagging her tail at an unseen something in the direction of the veg cupboard.

"Has she been in the crawl space next to the washer?" asked Del.
"Yeah" replied Jenna, and they eyed each other suspiciously.

Banjo never went in the crawl space by the washing machine. It was something only Jodo did, and usually when she was up to something.

"I'll get the torch" said Del without enthusiasm. After gulping down some of the tea he'd been making while in the kitchen, he hurried upstairs to his parents' bedroom to get the torch. He stroked Banjo, who wasn't too interested as Del was disturbing his light; and hurried out again, back to the kitchen.

Del forced himself through the crawlspace, torch in hand, looking for the sign of a bird. There was nothing in there. Jodo was still kicking up a fuss, however, and Jenna decided that it was best to take her upstairs incase she attacked whatever she was trying to find. Del put down his torch and he and Jenna opened every cupboard, even looked in the slightly open oven, and found nothing. They turned off the washing machine and the dryer, eventually, and decided just to listen out for any fluttering noises.

A couple of minutes went by and they decided that they were imagining things and shut all the cupboards. Jenna went back upstairs and sent Jodo back down incase she wanted to go out. The dog, naturally, went straight back to the kitchen and stared enthusistically at the cupboards again.

Del sniggered and planted himself in the lounge with a book, telling Jodo that there was nothing there. Then he heard it, a flutter. It definately came from the veg cupboard, but it couldn't have done, he'd looked in there already.

The sink above the veg cupboard, ofcourse, how had he not thought to look there? Look, he did, though. Again, there was nothing. It HAD to have come from that cupboard!

Crouching down, he grabbed Jodo's collar firmly and slowly re-opened the veg cupboard. "AAAAGGGGHHHH!" was his initial reaction as a bird flew right over him and smacked into the livingroom window. He shoved Jodo back upstairs, and came back down with Jenna to show her the bird. It seemed fine, though it looked panicky.

Together, they opened all the windows and the front and back doors. They tried to shoo the bird out but it kept flying back and forth between the two bottom corners of the window. Del decided to quit being a coward and just grab it. It took that one attempt, and before Del could even grab it, it soared past him and out the front door.

Mission accomplished, Jenna went back upstairs yet again and sent the two dogs back down. Banjo curled up on the sofa; and Jodo just stared at the window menacingly, hoping she hadn't lost her prey. How long that bird had been stuck in that cupboard, Del didn't know. Nor did he know how it had even got in there, AND he'd already checked it.

However, after a few scary hours trapped in a tiny dark space with a vicious dog waiting for it outside, the bird was now free.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.