GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Lost Review"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/10/05 at 17:46
Regular
"Huh?"
It’s got one button, it’s barely interactive and some people claim that it’s barely a game. What am I talking about? I’m talking about the Please Wait game you find at road crossings.

It obviously must be a game, to keep pedestrians occupied while they’re waiting for the (green) man. I mean otherwise what’s the point? Surely we’re not meant to believe that us pressing one button could control the traffic flow on a major metropolitan road. No way. Doesn’t make sense.

So let’s just review this game for what it is, starting with graphics. Now these are undeniably realistic, with cars perfectly modelled on real life, not like those gleaming showroom models in GT4 or Burnout, and they generally move (or don’t move) like their real world counterparts ie too fast or too slow.

The character modelling is also realistic, although on my review copy, East London, they weren’t entirely convincingly human. Equally there wasn’t lot of sky to be seen but the half built flats and office blocks were convincing.

Sound is more of a mixed bag – mostly car engine noise with a bit of swearing but luckily there is the option to add your own soundtrack (via mp3 or the voices in your head).

Gameplay is more problematic. You can press the button; please wait will confirm your action but deep down you wonder are you really controlling anything. Sure the Green man will arrive, often within seconds but it sometimes seems like the AI is taking care of everything. Cynics might suggest that the green man would arrive even if you weren’t there but it wasn’t possible to check this out in the review copy.

There is fun to be had with multiplayer and mini games though, particularly those involving bikers who don't believe that the lights of any colour have anything to do with them.

Overall then where does Please Wait rank? Well obviously it’s better than Daikatana, any Army Men game and the latter Turok’s but is it any good?

Tell you what, try the demo, available on most high streets and decide for yourself

Release: All Formats (and none)
Publisher: Highways Agency
Developer: Some Guy In An Office Software
Tue 04/10/05 at 17:46
Regular
"Huh?"
It’s got one button, it’s barely interactive and some people claim that it’s barely a game. What am I talking about? I’m talking about the Please Wait game you find at road crossings.

It obviously must be a game, to keep pedestrians occupied while they’re waiting for the (green) man. I mean otherwise what’s the point? Surely we’re not meant to believe that us pressing one button could control the traffic flow on a major metropolitan road. No way. Doesn’t make sense.

So let’s just review this game for what it is, starting with graphics. Now these are undeniably realistic, with cars perfectly modelled on real life, not like those gleaming showroom models in GT4 or Burnout, and they generally move (or don’t move) like their real world counterparts ie too fast or too slow.

The character modelling is also realistic, although on my review copy, East London, they weren’t entirely convincingly human. Equally there wasn’t lot of sky to be seen but the half built flats and office blocks were convincing.

Sound is more of a mixed bag – mostly car engine noise with a bit of swearing but luckily there is the option to add your own soundtrack (via mp3 or the voices in your head).

Gameplay is more problematic. You can press the button; please wait will confirm your action but deep down you wonder are you really controlling anything. Sure the Green man will arrive, often within seconds but it sometimes seems like the AI is taking care of everything. Cynics might suggest that the green man would arrive even if you weren’t there but it wasn’t possible to check this out in the review copy.

There is fun to be had with multiplayer and mini games though, particularly those involving bikers who don't believe that the lights of any colour have anything to do with them.

Overall then where does Please Wait rank? Well obviously it’s better than Daikatana, any Army Men game and the latter Turok’s but is it any good?

Tell you what, try the demo, available on most high streets and decide for yourself

Release: All Formats (and none)
Publisher: Highways Agency
Developer: Some Guy In An Office Software
Tue 04/10/05 at 17:49
Regular
"0228"
Heh. Good stuff.
Tue 04/10/05 at 18:25
Regular
"not dead"
Nice. ;o)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.