GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS killed originality"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/06/01 at 21:01
Regular
Nowadays, almost every game can be defined into any one genre. Publishers seem to think that if one genre is pproving popular, then any gaming released in it will therefore be popular as well. Anyone remember the surgance in extreme sports, as there were a few original games like Cool Boarders and Tony Hawk? Only a few months after this was released, there were rip offs of other "extreme sports", like Matt Hoffman and Dave Mirra BMX games. These games prove that the only good game made involving a bicycle was PaperBoy.

I have to admit that some genres were redefined over the past few years, with the advent of proper 3D games, as well as the increased power, the genres of beat-em-ups and driving games were revolutionised.

The Playstations ease of programming meant that there were many independant publishers would make PS games, and although this did compromise the average quality of games, it did produce some great games, like Crash Bandicoot, Smackdown, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver etc. Although there were many good games on the DC and N64 like Crazy Taxi and Perfect Dark, but the sheer number of PS games meant that the number of good games were higher.

This did not however, encourage any originality, with sequels that did not harness the extra power available to them, to take a risk to create a game that would become a cult game like GoldenEye.

Even though the Playstation allowed the creation of some great games, but because of the lower general standard of games, publishers became afraid of creating original games, as they new it wasn't needed to be succesful.

The PS brought gaming to the forefront of society, and made it socially acceptable, but in doing so, it compromised keeping higher standards of games, for the sake of becoming acceptable.
Sun 10/06/01 at 00:52
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
They were both good posts Er-no!
Sat 09/06/01 at 19:32
nice post jd.
Sat 09/06/01 at 19:04
Regular
"everyone says it"
Hey, Well Done, I thought my topic er-prediction would be a threat but looks like you swept it from me...

:)
Sat 09/06/01 at 18:49
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Thanks game.

Where is the joke about sniper?
Sat 09/06/01 at 18:25
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Congratulations,

I didn't think jd99's post would beat my joke about Sniper, but it just goes to show. Quality posts can win.

A VERY good post, in my opinion!

Well Done

Game

(This should be an incentive for all of you to post good stuff... emphasis on SHOULD!)

^_^
Sat 09/06/01 at 17:09
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
RPG's are more original than most games, CBFD was original, Zelda isn't the most original but is still quite original, now I'm getting sick of writing ORIGINAL so I'm going to shut up now!
Sat 09/06/01 at 16:44
jd99 wrote:
> Argh. I finally write something half decent and no-one
> responds...can it really be that boring. :-)

It was an excellent post that I found very interesting and you thoroughly deserve the game! What will you choose? Herdy Gerdy?
Fri 08/06/01 at 18:28
I agree very strongly that paperboy is one of the best games with a bicycle and that publishers should think up more original games. I was exited at the thought of a surfing game (i know its sad) and then i heard that there were another three of the near exact same game. They should just quit copying and get more people like shigero myamoto to think up such brilliant games as mario and zelda
Fri 08/06/01 at 17:36
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Argh. I finally write something half decent and no-one responds...can it really be that boring. :-)
Fri 08/06/01 at 09:51
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
The fact is right now that we don't really want originality. We already have the main genres sorted out, some people love racing games others love RPG's. Over the years many thousands of games have been made creating new genres and widening the scope of others. As more and more games have been released it makes it much harder for an original idea to make it in to a game. Sure, Japan manage to do it with all manner of wierd games, they play original games every day but would we want to play them? I doubt it.

Great games over the years have continually improved the quality of genres and have helped to make gaming what it is now. Games like Tony Hawks although not creating a new genre as such have given life to an ailing one. Before Tony Hawks what else was there in the extreme sports genre? 1080 and cool boarders spring to mind and these may have been entertaining for a while but lets face it, were flawed. Tony Hawks reinvented this genre and paved the way for games such as SSX. The consequences of this is that games developers made more mediocre games in this genre to try and cash in on this popularity.

This genre advancement is present in nearly all genres, Final Fantasy 7 made the RPG genre more widely open to normal gamers and Metal Gear Solid was undoubtably original in that it changed and improved greatly upon previous attempts in this genre.

Originality is a different subject altogether. If the games are not already out there in one form or another then it will take an incredibly amazing game to create a new genre. Herdy Gerdy is probably the most original game that is coming our way in the near future. It is in essence a sheep-herding game. It is not the first attempt at this as other sheep herding games have been made on the PS1, hmmmm and they say it killed originality.

Herdy Gerdy is an attempt to bring the sheep herding genre to a mainstream gaming audience. It looks to be a nice game with lush colours and a nice fairy book style but will it suceed? Sadly not. Will Herdy Gerdy sell more copies than GT3 or MGS2? NO. We as gamers would rather stick with updates of proven favourites as all the good genres are taken leaving originality only to brave developers who will undoubtably only have appeal to niche gamers.

Who killed originality?

I guess we did.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.