GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"games consoles?.... computer consoles?... who cares."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/06/01 at 20:12
Regular
These days consoles are starting to stray from the fact that they are being made for which is the games. Now they are being made for internet use, online gaming and now even hard drives like a pc.

the problem is that gaming consoles are bought fort he games and not anything else. Sure these added bonuses are great buti buy for the games and them only. Apparently the Xbox is so powerful that you have to shut it down when turning off because the Ram or whatever is so powerful.

Bill gates seems to think that he can win the console war with a pc hardrive made into the shape of an X. Now this is kinda stupid and although the games look good i think there will be better. games like Halo, or Unreal championship are porbably going to all formats anyway.

Anyway my point is that consoles might start to get less about gaming and more... well it is hard to tell but I don't think in 15 years time that games will be a big hit with the console and there will probably be some whole new scheme to consoles that don't make them purely games consoles...

anyway I am speaking my mind...

T_W
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:12
These days consoles are starting to stray from the fact that they are being made for which is the games. Now they are being made for internet use, online gaming and now even hard drives like a pc.

the problem is that gaming consoles are bought fort he games and not anything else. Sure these added bonuses are great buti buy for the games and them only. Apparently the Xbox is so powerful that you have to shut it down when turning off because the Ram or whatever is so powerful.

Bill gates seems to think that he can win the console war with a pc hardrive made into the shape of an X. Now this is kinda stupid and although the games look good i think there will be better. games like Halo, or Unreal championship are porbably going to all formats anyway.

Anyway my point is that consoles might start to get less about gaming and more... well it is hard to tell but I don't think in 15 years time that games will be a big hit with the console and there will probably be some whole new scheme to consoles that don't make them purely games consoles...

T_W
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:25
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Time_Warp wrote:
> These days consoles are starting to stray from the fact that they
> are being made for which is the games. Now they are being made for
> internet use, online gaming and now even hard drives like a
> pc.

the problem is that gaming consoles are bought fort he games
> and not anything else. Sure these added bonuses are great buti buy
> for the games and them only. Apparently the Xbox is so powerful that
> you have to shut it down when turning off because the Ram or
> whatever is so powerful.

Bill gates seems to think that he can
> win the console war with a pc hardrive made into the shape of an X.
> Now this is kinda stupid and although the games look good i think
> there will be better. games like Halo, or Unreal championship are
> porbably going to all formats anyway.

Anyway my point is that
> consoles might start to get less about gaming and more... well it is
> hard to tell but I don't think in 15 years time that games will be a
> big hit with the console and there will probably be some whole new
> scheme to consoles that don't make them purely games
> consoles...

T_W

This is rubbish! You have read bias about the Xbox being a PC.. it is NOT! It is like every other next gen console! Maybe you should have read my "bias in this forum" topic all about people saying stupid stuff like "Xbox is a PC"... "it'll fail because MS have no experience" etc etc

The way to think about the xbox is as though MS aren't making it! Infact, it is made by an independant company fronted by J Allard who has been involved in games since the 8bit era. The company has sooo many years behind it- more than Sony. It just happens to be part of MS... so what? It's not a PC, it doesn't have to be shut down and there will be no more ports than on the DC

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:27
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Now that I've said that...

This topic is actually raising good points. The fact is that the console as we know it is evolving... added DVD and internet options are enhancing their selling point, and increasing the industry market. This can only be a good thing for real gamers :)

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:28
Sorry it was only a joke, SPider wanted me to come up with a new, inventive topic so i just wrote ABSOLUTE TRIFLE! (:)
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:34
It isn't all trifle. The sole purpose for consoles was games.

The internet options are to expand the games multiplayer abilities so that people can play each other from opposite sides of the country or even the world.

The hard drives are also to make the games better, being opening the option of downloading extra levels off the ineternet (another good use of the internet), and cheats, and these can then be stored on the hard drive

So, all of these add-ons don't change the fact, that console are made solely for games.
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:38
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Actually I think the online capabilities on consoles is a great step forward and is far from leaving behind what consoles are made for.

Companies have been including this on consoles so that it adds more to multiplayer gaming. Of course with this comes access to web sites but then again, this will also be useful in the future for developing further. When you buy a game, wouldn't you like to be able to go online and download extra things for it to further the challenge ?

Look at F-Zero X on the N64, lots of racers with different skills when it came to things like top speed, cornering, etc. If you bought a game like this and you could download even more new racers with different abilities, surely this would really improve the title.

And of course theres the multiplayer option, which is really why companies looked to making their consoles online capable in the first place. I don't think we're very far away from seeing some amazing moments in online gaming. Besides things like lots of player in 1 game with no slow down, maybe other ideas will come into effect.

One that has popped into my head would be a racing game such as F-Zero, or at least in the mould of that. With all the different players and their levels of skill, maybe a kind of league format could be introduced. I'll use F-Zero as an example. You could choose a racer and go online. Say its your first time on the online race, so you have no record of online race wins. You start a race in a beginners league. There could be say 20 people in this race. You end up winning the race and this win is recorded onto your memory card, hard drive, or whatever. After obtaining a certain level of wins or good race positions, you are given the reward of being able to race in better leagues with better players until you finally reach the top league and can enter any race you wish.

Maybe the beginners league can be restricted to beginners so that really good players can't just enter and use them as fodder and make them look bad and ruin races for them.
This no doubt sounds pretty distant at the moment, but give companies a chance to look into this area of gaming and we could end up seeing results like this in the not too distant future :-)
Thu 07/06/01 at 21:16
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Yes, I agree that consoles are being made not only for playing games. The exception is the GAMECUBE but even that is going to play online games within a year or so. Let’s take the PS2 for example, that plays games. However, that doesn’t stop there, it also plays DVD movies and music CD’s. This effected the console in more ways than one, and they are not for the better. The first point I would like to make is the price. We all know that the price is outrages. Not only are they ripping off everyone who buys it, but they are also ripping of me, and all the other gamers out there. This is really unfair play because I am not the richest person in the world and so £300 is a lot of money to pay out on a games console. Luckily, I had saved up long and hard so I could just about afford it but I haven’t got many games as I haven’t got any money. That is my first and most important point about consoles being more than just a games console. My second point is that it is not seen as just a games console from people now. The PlayStation2 is now known as a home entertainment system. All is well for the people who have not got a DVD player because they will be getting their moneys worth, people who already have it will be wasting some money. Still, I will give PS2 some credit because it is looking very promising even if it’s not classed as a games console.

It will be interesting to see how the GAMECUBE gets on because as I have said before the GAMECUBE is JUST a games console. This will make the price of the console much, much more cheaper than the PS2, which it should be!

Years ago, I would go to my local game store to buy a games console. The console would be a something where you insert games into it, and a controller or two and that’s basically it. Now days, this has changed, but it is for the better or not?
Some may agree others will disagree with me when I say that the way consoles have changed over the years is for the worse. Obviously it hasn’t all gone down hill. The good things with the changes have been mostly the ability to have much, much better graphics and sound quality. All of which change the way we play games.

Sony, Microsoft and Sega need to get their priorities right, games first or the industry will be pushing daises from 6ft under! If we manage to get rid of DVD’s and music CD’s on game consoles then we could be looking at a brighter future. The hardware will be cheaper, and with the hardware being cheaper, the company would get a bigger user base attracting the neutral developers and the customer could buy more games, have more fun and in turn making money for game company’s. Everybody’s happy!

I am not so confident that this will come true though because as long as people continue buying “games consoles” which have DVD players on, game companies will continue to make them DVD compatible.

However, I am quite pleased with the bright future of online gaming. I am one of the doughnuts who has not experienced this wonderful side of gaming, but I have heard different views from people. From what I can tell, it is good. It can be expensive, but is also worth the money. Also, I hope that we will see more and more games that are going online, just imagine what Metal Gear Solid 2 would be like if you could play it online! Maybe you could be a guard having to shoot down Snake or vice versa. All this adds to the brilliance of gaming, and I think that companies need to experiment with varies ways of making and designing consoles to come of with a total dream game console.
Thu 07/06/01 at 22:24
The price's of consoles nowadays is often a problem, because they are often, way to expensive to afford. But, the companies that make these consoles need to cover their costs. Now, of course, this doesn't benifit us, because not all of us have loads of money to spend on consoles. But, prices do come down, although it may be a long time in coming, but they do come down. The PS2's price has now dropped, not by much, but has still dropped. And will most likely drop again around the time of release of the Xbox and Gamecube.

With relevance to the PS2 having DVD capabilities, this is not only for playing DVDs, some of the PS2 games are now being released on DVD, such as SSX DVD. The main reason is DVD's can hold more information than a traditional PS2 disc, so games will be bigger. I wouldn't be surprised if all PS2 games eventually start to come out on DVDs.

The online future of console looks very promising, and I for one can not wait to ba able to play a Gran Turismo game online.

Console may be developed with DVD capabilities and the prices may be high because of this, but essentially, at the moment, DVD is the future of consoles, because they can hold much more than conventional disc, and this will continue until a new disc format is discovered or a new format of holding games is discovered all together.
Fri 08/06/01 at 09:30
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
The one thing that worries me most about the future of consoles is that there may come a time when games are released PC style. By this I mean chucking out half finished games complete with annoying bugs and expecting us to love them. Then they bring out patches for these games. Some of these patches are good as they add to a game but most are fixes for lame problems that the developers couldn't be bothered to sort out before release. If this sort of thing happens then console gaming will be indiscernible from PC gaming and will consequently disapear.
Fri 08/06/01 at 09:36
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
jd99 wrote:
> The one thing that worries me most about the future of consoles is
> that there may come a time when games are released PC style. By
> this I mean chucking out half finished games complete with annoying
> bugs and expecting us to love them. Then they bring out patches for
> these games. Some of these patches are good as they add to a game
> but most are fixes for lame problems that the developers couldn't be
> bothered to sort out before release. If this sort of thing happens
> then console gaming will be indiscernible from PC gaming and will
> consequently disapear.

What? Why? ... Console games market is VERY different from the PC games market...

Not because of patches... but marketing, target audience, buyers, etc...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.