GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life 2 Review"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Sat 09/10/04 at 10:39
Regular
Picked up my copy of PC Zone today. And looks like Half Life 2 is dissapointing... Only getting 65%.. Very disapointing.

Just kidding, it got 97% Brilliant. My brother is gonna get it
Sun 10/10/04 at 12:46
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Neo Keyboard wrote:
> Isn't the collectors edition being released over here? If it isn't I
> might have to go with stea.

From what I can tell, so far no UK retailer has it in stock, it's only appeared in the US up to now.

> But I don't want to have to connect to
> the internet every time I want to play. When you get it off steam
> and you play on it without logging into the actual steam program?

I think you'l actually be able to install the game once it's been fully loaded onto your machine, at least I would assume so.
Sun 10/10/04 at 11:44
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Scope wrote:
> Looks like I reach the high end specs.. ish.

Dude, IGN.com put up a guide on how to optimise your machine for it:
[URL]http://gear.ign.com/articles/554/554744p1.html[/URL]
Sun 10/10/04 at 09:12
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
Isn't the collectors edition being released over here? If it isn't I might have to go with stea. But I don't want to have to connect to the internet every time I want to play. When you get it off steam and you play on it without logging into the actual steam program?
Sat 09/10/04 at 17:54
Regular
"A man with a stick"
If you download it off steam, not only will you not have to go through the hassle of installing the game (if you pre-load now that is) and not bother with putting the CD everytime you want to play , you'll also get to play the game as soon as it's released, two days before it's European ship date.

Plus you can get Counter Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life: Source and the entire back catalogue of Valve games if you get either the Silver or Gold packages.

It beats waiting for the Collector edition of the game, that might not even be released in the UK. Importing it would cost a bomb.
Sat 09/10/04 at 17:32
Regular
"where's my tag?"
You're all best buying the retail product rather than downloading it, this is because if buy it from a shop you can use the CD-Key for downloading it anyway, but if you first download it you can't really go to a shop and get the solid product after. Best doing the shop-then-Steam way.
Sat 09/10/04 at 17:07
Regular
Valve boss Gabe Newell has revealed the hardware requirements for Half-Life 2, ahead of the game's expected late summer release.

Taking time out to post on HL2Fallout's forums last week, Newell said that the minimum spec would be a 1.2GHz powered PC with 256MB RAM, Win 98/ME/2000/XP and a DirectX 7 compatible graphics card.

But for those who want to see the game running in all its glory, be prepared to spec up to around a 2.4 GHz machine, with 512MB RAM, Windows 2000/XP and a DirectX 9 capable graphics card.

Looks like I reach the high end specs.. ish.
Sat 09/10/04 at 17:04
Regular
That's not recommended specs. that's minimum specs
Sat 09/10/04 at 17:02
Regular
"where's my tag?"
nova prospekt wrote:
> you dont need a great system to run hl2. theyve gone for story and
> real believable atmosphere istead of memory crunching pixel shading
> Minimum Specification:
> Processor: 700MHz
> 32 MB Graphics
> 64MB RAM
>
> Recommended Specification:
> Processor 1GHz +
> 64 MB Graphics +
> 256 MB RAM +
> Fast Hard Drive

Wow! That's seems amazing! I wonder if the recommended spec is like the graphica settings on medium and not low, because in todays modern games the 'low' settings look worse than games from 1993. I really mean that. Unreal Tour 2003/2004's low settings have worse texture quality that the original Doom's bitmaps.

I also hope that I will get a steady frame rate in HL2. My spec is 256MB RAM, P4 1.6Ghz and GeForce 3 Ti200, which shakes apart in UT20003/04.
Sat 09/10/04 at 16:56
Regular
You are all gits, obey me now or else. IF YOU ARE resentful TO YOUR MASTER I WILL DESTROY you with my magic Spoon-ALL OF YOU< NONE WILL ESCAPE.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And a merry christmas.
Sat 09/10/04 at 16:42
Regular
you dont need a great system to run hl2. theyve gone for story and real believable atmosphere istead of memory crunching pixel shading
Minimum Specification:
Processor: 700MHz
32 MB Graphics
64MB RAM

Recommended Specification:
Processor 1GHz +
64 MB Graphics +
256 MB RAM +
Fast Hard Drive

so dont buy any new hardware till u get the game then see if its unplayable on ur system

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.