GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"are we being ripped off ?!?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/06/01 at 19:56
Regular
have you ever thought about how much we are being ripped off by sony, EA, codemaster, etc

well i want to know your opinion on prices of games, i mean why do we have to pay £40-£50 for a new playstation 2 game and such, if you think about it all you get is a cd (£3 for top quality) a few months programing and a few weeks laugh

please reply to this and give me your thoughts
Thu 07/06/01 at 19:56
have you ever thought about how much we are being ripped off by sony, EA, codemaster, etc

well i want to know your opinion on prices of games, i mean why do we have to pay £40-£50 for a new playstation 2 game and such, if you think about it all you get is a cd (£3 for top quality) a few months programing and a few weeks laugh

please reply to this and give me your thoughts
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:00
Regular
"Back For Good"
yeah but the money goes to everyone who made the game, the retailer and the people who published it and probably alot of other places too.
Thu 07/06/01 at 22:54
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
We get ripped of in this country there is no two ways about it. Cars, consoles, games etc the list goes on.
Thu 07/06/01 at 23:05
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
spunky 2k wrote:
well i want to know your opinion on
> prices of games, i mean why do we have to pay £40-£50
> for a new playstation 2 game and such, if you think about it all you
> get is a cd (£3 for top quality) a few months programing and a
> few weeks laugh

For a few months programming I would only be willing to spend £10 on a game as you can bet it would be the worst game ever. Most games take a good year to be developed fully. Some games take longer e.g. GT3, MGS2. I think that the prices are pretty fair. From SR you can buy alot of top games for anywhere between £34-39 which is cheaper than in the shops. I remember buying Tekken 2 from SR at £41 when it was released.

Games also cost alot to make e.g Shenmue. That cost something like $70 million to develope and make. The Final Fantasy games can cost $20 million to make aswell.

The Companies need to recover there money some how and with alot of priacy the prices are higher than they should be. Also we dont buy the games from the company but from a shop. They need there cut in profits aswell.

£40 is worth the money when you think that a team of people have dedicated there a year or more of there lives working on a game that you will play.
Thu 07/06/01 at 23:10
adrian wrote:
> spunky 2k wrote:
well i want to know your opinion on
> prices
> of games, i mean why do we have to pay £40-£50
> for
> a new playstation 2 game and such, if you think about it all
> you
> get is a cd (£3 for top quality) a few months
> programing and a
> few weeks laugh

For a few months
> programming I would only be willing to spend £10 on a game as
> you can bet it would be the worst game ever. Most games take a good
> year to be developed fully. Some games take longer e.g. GT3, MGS2. I
> think that the prices are pretty fair. From SR you can buy alot of
> top games for anywhere between £34-39 which is cheaper than in
> the shops. I remember buying Tekken 2 from SR at £41 when it
> was released.

Games also cost alot to make e.g Shenmue. That cost
> something like $70 million to develope and make. The Final Fantasy
> games can cost $20 million to make aswell.

The Companies need to
> recover there money some how and with alot of priacy the prices are
> higher than they should be. Also we dont buy the games from the
> company but from a shop. They need there cut in profits
> aswell.

£40 is worth the money when you think that a team
> of people have dedicated there a year or more of there lives working
> on a game that you will play.

You took the words right out of my mouth, or fingers so to speak.
Fri 08/06/01 at 01:26
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Ok we all know that the UK pays more than anyone else for " games, consoles, cars and all the rest". But when you think of all the people who contribute to making games the price dosnt' seem that high. There is the developers, the guy with the original ideas, programmers, testers, advertisment adgency and lots of others. But when people make great games we dont really question the price, only when games dont meet or standard?? Maybee the PrimeMinester should try reduce prices of PS2 software(He'd get my vote) As £35 still seems to much to be asking for( New games should be £20 in my opinion).
Fri 08/06/01 at 10:48
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I bought a new game in Spain and it cost me £20-25 while in the UK it cost £30-35.
Sat 09/06/01 at 19:17
Regular
Almost everything is expensive in the UK than everywhere else. Not only games.
Sat 09/06/01 at 20:00
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Everything in the uk costs more than most places in the world, but with games its not just one person who makes the games. There are designers,retailers,advertising,and lots of others who contribute to making and releasing a game. So a percentage of each sale goes to each one. But we do get overcharged in the UK and maybee its time something is done about it. Does anyone know how we can change this. ie Who to write too to complain about the high prices???

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.