GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Memory replacement/upgrade for old MAXX PC"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/09/05 at 14:19
"High polygon count"
So, any memory wizards out there?

My mum has an old MAXX PC which has started to play up - locking up every so often, or just crashing with the BSOD (it's running WinME with all updates and patches installed).

I'm thinking there's possibly a memory problem, so am looking to replace or upgrade the memory - which apart from (hopefully) solving the problem, will also give the old dog a bit of a performance boost. (The "old dog" being the PC, not my mother!)

Of course, I will download some memory test software first before I replace the memory unnecessarily.

It's an old P3-500 system with 128MB RAM (by way of a single 128MB stick), running on a Gigabyte GA-BX2000 motherboard. Not much, granted, but it does her for her web surfing and weekly Tesco shopping spree!

Now, to the memory. When I use the Crucial Memory Advisor tool, it can't automatically detect what's needed. So I go through the manual method of drop-down lists to select the make and model of board. That then recommends PC133 SDRAM DIMM modules.

The only thing is, Everest (diagnosis software) says that the machine uses PC100 SDRAM DIMM's. After a lengthy hunt for the manual, that also states that memory must be PC100 SDRAM.

So... questions...

1a. Will the board accept PC133 RAM?

1b. I presume all installed memory must be of the same type, so if I buy an additional stick, should it be PC100 - or can it be PC133?

2. Given the problems described above, do you think it would be wise to replace the existing RAM with a larger stick, or just add to it?

3. It's a long time since I tinkered with memory. Am I right in thinking that with DIMMS, I can mix-n-match capacities - i.e. add a 256MB to the current 128MB?

4. One final thing, just out of curiosity: Althought there's only one DIMM installed, Everest reports two memory timings:
-- @125MHz 3.0-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
-- @100MHz 2.0-2-2-5 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

With the memory being a DIMM, does this indicate a difference in speed between the 2 banks, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for your input.
Wed 28/09/05 at 17:04
Regular
"YTS Primate"
That would be fine and yes your right the picture is DDR dimm.

You would be better going for GG9653 as it's in stock at the same price.
Wed 28/09/05 at 16:57
"High polygon count"
Many thanks.

Am I right in thinking these will be okay? [URL]http://specialreserve.co.uk/DIMM-256-MB-RAM-PC_1613_r.html[/URL]

(The DIMMs in the image look different from the one in the PC, but this appears to be a 'stock' photo which is also used on other memory types.)
Wed 28/09/05 at 14:30
Regular
"YTS Primate"
You can mix and match speeds and sizes and the memory will run at the speed of the slowest stick.

You are seeing two memory timings been reported because it is reading the information from the serial presence detect chip on the stick. This holds the speed and timings of what the chip can run at in different setups.

Add to the present stick and see if it works. Memory from different manufacturers can sometimes have trouble running together.
Wed 28/09/05 at 14:22
Regular
"..."
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> 3. It's a long time since I tinkered with memory. Am I right in
> thinking that with DIMMS, I can mix-n-match capacities - i.e. add a
> 256MB to the current 128MB?

Only part I know the answer to Wookie, that's a yes.
The rest is too techie for me!
Wed 28/09/05 at 14:19
"High polygon count"
So, any memory wizards out there?

My mum has an old MAXX PC which has started to play up - locking up every so often, or just crashing with the BSOD (it's running WinME with all updates and patches installed).

I'm thinking there's possibly a memory problem, so am looking to replace or upgrade the memory - which apart from (hopefully) solving the problem, will also give the old dog a bit of a performance boost. (The "old dog" being the PC, not my mother!)

Of course, I will download some memory test software first before I replace the memory unnecessarily.

It's an old P3-500 system with 128MB RAM (by way of a single 128MB stick), running on a Gigabyte GA-BX2000 motherboard. Not much, granted, but it does her for her web surfing and weekly Tesco shopping spree!

Now, to the memory. When I use the Crucial Memory Advisor tool, it can't automatically detect what's needed. So I go through the manual method of drop-down lists to select the make and model of board. That then recommends PC133 SDRAM DIMM modules.

The only thing is, Everest (diagnosis software) says that the machine uses PC100 SDRAM DIMM's. After a lengthy hunt for the manual, that also states that memory must be PC100 SDRAM.

So... questions...

1a. Will the board accept PC133 RAM?

1b. I presume all installed memory must be of the same type, so if I buy an additional stick, should it be PC100 - or can it be PC133?

2. Given the problems described above, do you think it would be wise to replace the existing RAM with a larger stick, or just add to it?

3. It's a long time since I tinkered with memory. Am I right in thinking that with DIMMS, I can mix-n-match capacities - i.e. add a 256MB to the current 128MB?

4. One final thing, just out of curiosity: Althought there's only one DIMM installed, Everest reports two memory timings:
-- @125MHz 3.0-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
-- @100MHz 2.0-2-2-5 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

With the memory being a DIMM, does this indicate a difference in speed between the 2 banks, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for your input.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.