GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The curse of Epic's UT engine..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Unreal Tournament'.
Sat 09/10/04 at 17:18
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Anyone else feel that since Digital Extremes lost the UT license, the Unreal games have been going down into 'boringness'? The actual content that the latest unreal games have (UT03/04) is quite perfect though, so it must be Epic's 'super-curvy-shiny engine' that's to blame. It must be, as I've noticed any game that uses it feels kind of boring, ie: Deadly Shadows. Deadly Shadows is a good example in fact, as I bet if it used any other engine than Epic's it would be scoring a 94-95% mark instead of 80%.

If Diginal Extremes got back to making Unreal games again I bet they would recapture the style. Epic has killed it I think, and any game that uses their new Unreal engine seems to feel rubbished (it might be 'coz their engine makes everything look 'FAT' and plastic).
Sat 09/10/04 at 21:02
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Agree with most stuff, but I did like Deadly Shadows.
I don't think that engine's doing Tribes:Vengeance any favours though.
Sat 09/10/04 at 19:01
Regular
Although it might not be the particularly relevant thing to bring up, I think Unreal 2 was a disappointment for many, becuase it wasn't similar enough to the original Unreal.

We weren't looking to have to fight HUMANS, of all people. At least not in the quantity we were faced with here. I loved unreal because it was focused around the monsters, and alien settings. Not going into a human structure to plant BOMBS, or collect artifacts, and be the victim of an attempt for players to get emotionally connected with the characters.

Surely you must know what I mean. The weapons were also different from the well-known, good-working classics. WHY, I'll never know, but it just didn't seem to be 'Unreal'. Skaarj were scarce and too humanised.

But back to the topic, I think Unreal's engine is one of the best currently in use. It's all down to the game you use it on, really.
Sat 09/10/04 at 18:08
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Deadly Shadows was superb. I think you’ll find any disappointing aspect with that game can be linked with it’s cross development with the X-Box version, and unfortunate as it is, sacrifices had to be made due to the X-Box not being able to cope with the scale of some of the levels. On the whole though, Thief 3 looks great, with some of the finest lighting (aside from Doom3) in any game I’ve ever played.

Personally I think UT2004 is the finest Unreal game to date, and I really can’t see how the graphics can make the game feel boring. Compare it to the like of Joint Operations, a fun online game, but one that suffers from numerous bugs and glitches. I actually find the Unreal engine to be quite perfect, great to look at with little to no flaws, the way every game engine should be.
Sat 09/10/04 at 17:18
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Anyone else feel that since Digital Extremes lost the UT license, the Unreal games have been going down into 'boringness'? The actual content that the latest unreal games have (UT03/04) is quite perfect though, so it must be Epic's 'super-curvy-shiny engine' that's to blame. It must be, as I've noticed any game that uses it feels kind of boring, ie: Deadly Shadows. Deadly Shadows is a good example in fact, as I bet if it used any other engine than Epic's it would be scoring a 94-95% mark instead of 80%.

If Diginal Extremes got back to making Unreal games again I bet they would recapture the style. Epic has killed it I think, and any game that uses their new Unreal engine seems to feel rubbished (it might be 'coz their engine makes everything look 'FAT' and plastic).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.