GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation 2 - The Future!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/06/01 at 19:13
Regular
There are at the moment 2 big players trying to get your hard earned cash in the console market - Playstation 2 and Dreamcast. Playstation 2 is an awesome console with some great games already and the release schedule looks amazing not only games but hardware wise too with the modem and hard drive package planned soon.
Dreamcast is without doubt a great console and at its current price is a bargain but Sega's recent announcement that Dreamcast is ceasing production can't help make me feel that the games will dry up and buying a Dreamcast will only last you 6 months at most.

From next year, 2 new big players are entering the market, X Box and Gamecube.
I have to be honest in that I am totally against the X Box. I respect Sega and Nintendo immensely for the games that they make and I respect Sony for bringing gaming to a mainstream audience but aren't Microsoft just cashing in on the market? They are not renowned for any classics like Gran Turismo, Mario or Sonic. Also, have you seen the size of it?Its like a VCR!!
Gamcube should be a wicked console with some great games but it all depends on whether Nintendo can get the likes of Namco and Konami to bring their current batch of great games to their system, something the N64 really lacked!

All in all gaming is gonna really hot up soon with the new consoles.
My vote goes to Playstation 2 becuase you know what they say "live for today" and seeing as how it is the best on the market and I belive will stay that way I think it's a wise choice but I am hoping Nintendo bring up the goods as well.
Thu 07/06/01 at 19:13
There are at the moment 2 big players trying to get your hard earned cash in the console market - Playstation 2 and Dreamcast. Playstation 2 is an awesome console with some great games already and the release schedule looks amazing not only games but hardware wise too with the modem and hard drive package planned soon.
Dreamcast is without doubt a great console and at its current price is a bargain but Sega's recent announcement that Dreamcast is ceasing production can't help make me feel that the games will dry up and buying a Dreamcast will only last you 6 months at most.

From next year, 2 new big players are entering the market, X Box and Gamecube.
I have to be honest in that I am totally against the X Box. I respect Sega and Nintendo immensely for the games that they make and I respect Sony for bringing gaming to a mainstream audience but aren't Microsoft just cashing in on the market? They are not renowned for any classics like Gran Turismo, Mario or Sonic. Also, have you seen the size of it?Its like a VCR!!
Gamcube should be a wicked console with some great games but it all depends on whether Nintendo can get the likes of Namco and Konami to bring their current batch of great games to their system, something the N64 really lacked!

All in all gaming is gonna really hot up soon with the new consoles.
My vote goes to Playstation 2 becuase you know what they say "live for today" and seeing as how it is the best on the market and I belive will stay that way I think it's a wise choice but I am hoping Nintendo bring up the goods as well.
Thu 07/06/01 at 19:15
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Ben can i give you a tip, dont write that lentgh of text in a intro of a topic. Less people read it as it is to long. And use more paragraphs, it looks shorter
Mon 11/06/01 at 11:21
Ild dissagree, I think Sony has to get its act together, and really push the PS2 sales up now. No company can afford to ignore the threat from Nintendo or Microsoft.
Mon 11/06/01 at 14:40
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Good post.. but a few things. Firstly, this is a "console wars" topic basically. We have heard all of this before, and it will not win you a game. That's not to say the post isn;t good... it's just that it's nothing new. Secondly, you seem to have a lot of bias (against Microsoft... who could well be the next Sony)... and in this forum bias doesn't go down well! Anyway, here are my views on the post:

> Playstation 2 is an awesome console with some great games already
> and the release schedule looks amazing not only games but hardware
> wise too with the modem and hard drive package planned
> soon.

Hmmm... I'm not so sure. If the modem isn't included with the console, then not everyone will have one, and many developers may not use internet options as much. This also alienates gamers who cannot afford both the modem and HDD

>Dreamcast is without doubt a great console and at its >current price is a bargain but Sega's recent announcement >that Dreamcast is ceasing production can't help make me >feel that the games will dry up and buying a Dreamcast >will only last you 6 months at most.

True... however, the question you must ask is "would I rather have a PS2 where some excellent games will come out eventually (by which time the Xbox or GC might be dominating the scene), or would I rather be able to play games like "Code: Veronica" and "MSR" now?

>From next year, 2 new big players are entering the market, >X Box and Gamecube.
>I have to be honest in that I am totally against the X Box.

This is VERY biased... read on...

>I respect Sega and Nintendo immensely for the games that >they make and I respect Sony for bringing gaming to a >mainstream audience but aren't Microsoft just cashing in >on the market? They are not renowned for any classics like >Gran Turismo, Mario or Sonic. Also, have you seen the size >of it?Its like a VCR!!

This is all rubbish! MS are doing exactly the same with the XBOX as Sony did with the PSX. IS this a bad thing? Making gaming even more mass market... answer No. Also, Sony don't make ANY games... Gran Turismo was made by a 2nd/3rd party games maker. Many developers just as good as Poly___, who make gran turismo, are making games for the Xbox, and it has a strong line up (esp. with games like Halo!)

>Gamcube should be a wicked console with some great games >but it all depends on whether Nintendo can get the likes >of Namco and Konami to bring their current batch of great >games to their system, something the N64 really lacked!

Excellent point! Ninty have to break their "we want all you profits" mentality and acknowledge that gamers will only buy consoles with games from people other than themselves!

So overall, a good post.. but not much that is new to the forum!

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.