GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Swearing......"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/06/01 at 19:05
Regular
I've noticed an increase in swearing recently. In both films and music. It used to be that only hardcore rap music had swearing in. I remember not being able to buy on of the OutHere Brothers singles as it had some swearing in it, i needed to be 16 years old to be able to buy it.

Now it seems that everything has swearing in it. The recent Jennifer Lopez, sorry J-Lo, single had swearing in it. One of the lines is: "Play my mother f'ing song". An example in the film industry could be the Lethal Weapon series. The first one is rated an 18, the 4th one is rated a 15, yet the swearing content is about the same. It used to be that any film that had the F-word in more than once or twice was automatically an 18, now that doesnt seem to be. Look at films like American Pie, that's a 15 but it has numerous swear words in.

Some people say that swearing in music and films is bad. Eminem has been criticised a lot for his swearing, as well as other things. People say that if kids listen to songs/watch films with swearing then they, the kids, will swear more. In other words the films and songs are having a bad effect on the population.

But what if it is actually the other way around? What if films and songs are reflecting the society we live in? After having just watched Snatch, it made me think. The F-word is used loads in that film. Has it made me swear more after watching it a lot? No. I swore a lot before watching that film. Maybe it's because i'm from essex and that's the way we speak. Maybe it's because the "rude words" are losing their meaning.

Any one listen to Chrise Moyles on Radio 1? If you have, you'll have heard him use the word @r$e regularly and the word bloody occasionally as well. A few years ago words like that wouldn't have been heard on the radio at all. Why not? It's only a word after all. I'm pretty sure some one didn't say to themselves "Right, i'm going to think of a really rude word, here it is: F***. Sorted." I doubt very much that is what happened.

It is more likely that these words started off being normal words, and then were perceived as being rude. What is wrong with them going back to being normal words?

I appriciate this can be a touchy topic, so feel free to comment/criticse on what i have written.
Thu 07/06/01 at 19:05
Regular
I've noticed an increase in swearing recently. In both films and music. It used to be that only hardcore rap music had swearing in. I remember not being able to buy on of the OutHere Brothers singles as it had some swearing in it, i needed to be 16 years old to be able to buy it.

Now it seems that everything has swearing in it. The recent Jennifer Lopez, sorry J-Lo, single had swearing in it. One of the lines is: "Play my mother f'ing song". An example in the film industry could be the Lethal Weapon series. The first one is rated an 18, the 4th one is rated a 15, yet the swearing content is about the same. It used to be that any film that had the F-word in more than once or twice was automatically an 18, now that doesnt seem to be. Look at films like American Pie, that's a 15 but it has numerous swear words in.

Some people say that swearing in music and films is bad. Eminem has been criticised a lot for his swearing, as well as other things. People say that if kids listen to songs/watch films with swearing then they, the kids, will swear more. In other words the films and songs are having a bad effect on the population.

But what if it is actually the other way around? What if films and songs are reflecting the society we live in? After having just watched Snatch, it made me think. The F-word is used loads in that film. Has it made me swear more after watching it a lot? No. I swore a lot before watching that film. Maybe it's because i'm from essex and that's the way we speak. Maybe it's because the "rude words" are losing their meaning.

Any one listen to Chrise Moyles on Radio 1? If you have, you'll have heard him use the word @r$e regularly and the word bloody occasionally as well. A few years ago words like that wouldn't have been heard on the radio at all. Why not? It's only a word after all. I'm pretty sure some one didn't say to themselves "Right, i'm going to think of a really rude word, here it is: F***. Sorted." I doubt very much that is what happened.

It is more likely that these words started off being normal words, and then were perceived as being rude. What is wrong with them going back to being normal words?

I appriciate this can be a touchy topic, so feel free to comment/criticse on what i have written.
Thu 07/06/01 at 23:24
Regular
"Sexy Mexican Worker"
well i think that is a complete load of fu%@ing bol#~cks, who writes this £hit they are seriously talking out of the fu$£ing a*+e
Thu 14/06/01 at 23:25
I don't care that people are swearing more... because i don't think it matters. So children pif**k up swear words - so? Why does it matter? What's the *real* difference between a kid saying 'damn' or a kid saying 'f*f**k'? They both serve the same purpose yet 'damn' is more accepted. While it's true that the f word has sexual connotations.. the kid isn't going to know that, and will not deliberatly use the word in that context.. so how is it offensive? I think people are waaaaay to conservative on issues like this and should just ar$ing well let go. As i said in another post about swearing, whats worse: Your kid comes home and says 'f*f**k off' or they say 'I'm going to rip off your head, shove my hand down your nef**k, rip out your spleen and choke you on it'???? well?
Fri 15/06/01 at 15:33
The f*f**k off one.
At least the spleen alternative shows imagination and a keen interest in Biology.
Fri 15/06/01 at 15:36
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I think swearing is big and clever.

So is drinking until you are sick and smoking lots of ciggies.
Fri 15/06/01 at 18:50
Regular
i dunno.....but i got screwed at school for writing the queend a t****r and a few other swearwords in a history test. Swearwords are part of are everyday language but apparently you get disqualified from a exam if you swear in it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.