GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grr! What the hell can I do about this?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/09/05 at 00:57
"High polygon count"
Some may recall that I posted here a while ago about not being able to access a certain SR competitor's website. I could ping and tracert to it no problem, but couldn't access it through any browser.

The same also happened with the Sky One website for a period of about 2 months.

In both cases, the problem pretty much resolved itself - I've no idea how, because I didn't change a thing... I just tried it one day and it worked.

I now have two other sites which I could access several months ago, but can't now.

One is http://www.kephyr.com - home of Bazooka Spyware Scanner. I've uninstalled that software because I simply can't update the definitions database. This has been the case for about 14 months now.

The other site, as mentioned in another thread, is http://www.freshdevices.com - which I tried tonight for the first time in about a year.

I can ping and tracert both sites, but simply cannot access them in any of 4 browsers - IE, Netscape, Firefox and Opera.

I know it's not down to any of my settings, simply because I've accessed them before and have not made any configuration changes.

I'd say it's down to NTL, but others here are also on NTL and when I've asked previously, they've had no problems accessing these sites. It's really bloody frustrating.

I also have another issue which I'll be contacting NTL about later this week - namely that any mail sent from my own domain to any ntlworld.com address gets retried a number of times, then rejected outright. It doesn't appear to be their spam filters, as I've disabled them on my own NTL mail account and messages are still rejected.
Wed 28/09/05 at 22:03
Regular
"YTS Primate"
I hope you get it sorted out quickly.
Good luck.
Wed 28/09/05 at 21:33
"High polygon count"
Okay, I'm now convinced that it's NTL.

I removed the router from the setup and connected my PC directly to the cable modem, and I still can't access the websites or send e-mail from my domain to ntlworld.com addresses.
Wed 28/09/05 at 20:28
"High polygon count"
The router isn't supplied by NTL - it was recommended by them on their website, but bought from dabs.com.

As I said earlier, though, everything used to work fine - mail and the websites I've mentioned. No settings have been changed, they just stopped working.

The eBuyer site also 'came back' on its own, with no changes in any of my hardware.

I've also reset the router to its original configuration (which worked) and still no joy. The only change I'd made was port forwarding for BitTorrent.
Wed 28/09/05 at 19:52
Regular
"YTS Primate"
I still think it’s more likely to be a local problem. I don’t know that model of router but I haven’t seen one that didn’t give you the option of configuring the MTU in a web browser. If it’s a NTL supplied one they may have had the firmware modified to hide certain options.

One way of being certain that it’s an NTL problem and not the router settings would be to borrow a cable modem. Failing that it looks like a call to NTL might be in order.
Wed 28/09/05 at 15:26
"High polygon count"
Assuming you mean the Max Transmission Unit, I have no idea how to find that out. The router (Actiontec R3010UW) is configured by a browser interface; I've been through every setup page, and I can't see any info about the MTU anywhere. I've also Googled the router model and couldn't find anything abuot the MTU.

The mail problem is, I think, definitely down to NTL. If I send mail from my own ntlworld.com address (on the same PC), it goes through just fine.

I get the following whenever I send to any ntlworld.com address from my domain hosted by Netrillium (it worked fine until a few months ago):

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its recipients after more than 72 hours on the queue on orion.netrillium.net.

The message identifier is: 1EH7yD-0003AT-Dg
The subject of the message is: Test
The date of the message is: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:49:29 +0100

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

[email protected]
Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host smtpin.ntlworld.com [81.103.221.10]: 452 Message rejected

No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for some time, and this warning may be repeated at intervals if the message remains undelivered. Eventually the mail delivery software will give up, and when that happens, the message will be returned to you.
Wed 28/09/05 at 14:33
Regular
"YTS Primate"
The web problem could be related to the email problem as the wrong MTU setting on the router could cause both.
Could you have a look at what its set to and report back.
Wed 28/09/05 at 01:02
"High polygon count"
Okay, sorted that. DNS settings are correct now, and I still can't access the sites.

It must be NTL.
Wed 28/09/05 at 00:07
"High polygon count"
Sly Fox wrote:
> That sounds like a DNS problem.
>
> Make sure your system or router if you are using one have the DNS
> addresses set correctly to
> Primary 194.168.4.100
> Secondary 194.168.8.100

My router (Actiontec) obtains addresses automatically via DHCP. The primary is correct, but the secondary is set to 38.8.82.2 for some reason.

I can't figure out any way of changing it at the moment.
Tue 27/09/05 at 11:40
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I've had problems getting access to some sites in the past. Try changing the DNS server you are using as NTL are known to not update their servers regualrly enough.
Could also try changing the proxy and go through a different ntl server.
[URL]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html[/URL]
That has a list of some ntl servers you could try.
Tue 27/09/05 at 09:55
Regular
"YTS Primate"
That sounds like a DNS problem.

Make sure your system or router if you are using one have the DNS addresses set correctly to
Primary 194.168.4.100
Secondary 194.168.8.100

If you still have problems you could try using another service providers DNS server. I haven’t tried that but I believe it works.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.