GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dual Boot"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/09/05 at 14:09
Regular
Can anyone help me? I have two hard drives and recently upgraded to a new version of XP, I have XP on my C Drive (old version) and the new version ended up on my D drive, when I boot up the PC I get the option of wich system to use, I would like to delete the old version (C drive) and have the new version on the C Drive. Is this poss?

Cheers
Sun 25/09/05 at 16:13
Regular
"YTS Primate"
That can be very tricky. Follow this link and look at Win XP/Win 2000. Just think of your old version of XP as Win 2000 and follow the instructions.

Click on 19)Remove Windows 2000/XP and leave XP

[URL] http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#19 [/URL]

Unless you’re sure of what you are doing and are confident on editing hidden system files I’d advice against it. You could end up with neither operating system being bootable or available. Even if it works it’s far from an ideal setup.

The best course of action would be to copy everything you want to save off the D drive on to the C drive.
Disconnect the C drive and Set D as the master.
Do a format and clean install of your new XP onto the drive.
Replace your old C drive as slave which will now become D.
Copy anything you want to keep from D onto the new C drive.
Format the new D drive.

Doing it that way will give you a get out clause should anything go wrong?
Am I right in thinking that the D drive is a new drive you fitted recently? If not let me know.
I hope that makes sense to you and helps.
Sun 25/09/05 at 14:09
Regular
Can anyone help me? I have two hard drives and recently upgraded to a new version of XP, I have XP on my C Drive (old version) and the new version ended up on my D drive, when I boot up the PC I get the option of wich system to use, I would like to delete the old version (C drive) and have the new version on the C Drive. Is this poss?

Cheers

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.