GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The end of poverty lies with consoles"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/09/05 at 13:21
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
... Well not really, but:

[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4275448.stm[/URL]
Sun 25/09/05 at 20:22
BBC tech correspondents are usually amateurs, writing articles that show their five minutes worth of google research to the world as being "informed".

He mentions recyling old consoles; but obviously, their nature wasn't to use it as a PC. Hence it isn't exactly an ideal platform for absolute beginners to setup and fix. If he was actually savvy, he would have mentioned obvious things like recycling old PCs (duh), Pocket Pcs or the AMD $100 PCs that were actually designed for use in deprived countries. But of course, that would have required use of the brain. Why bother?
Sun 25/09/05 at 14:30
Regular
Maybe the guy missed the fact that the PS2 linux kit is absolutely rotten for doing anything other than running applications you write for it.

It runs decent enough on a command line based mode, but try running a GUI and then running something like Firefox and you enter a world of pain, it just simply doesn't have enough RAM.

Almost everyone I know who uses the PS2 linux kit and the Uni of Abertay network them to a PC, use Visual Studio to write their programs, use a Samba server to use it in windows as an external hard drive and then use Telnet to compile and execture the apps.

As a stand alone PC replacement, the PS2 is useless. The processor is optimised for calculating Vertex operations and only has 32Mb RAM.
Sun 25/09/05 at 13:21
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
... Well not really, but:

[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4275448.stm[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.