GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Motherboard Serial Number + Model Name finder"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/09/05 at 14:04
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi,

Is it possible to find out my motherboard's 'serial number' and 'model name' from the desktop, so I don't have to take the tower apart?
Sat 24/09/05 at 16:42
Regular
"YTS Primate"
It’s a BIOS serial number of sorts but much more of an identifier for the BIOS manufacturer and will be the same for each chip in that batch.

Motherboard manufacturers ask for the serial number to register a product because it allows them to identify the geographical region/market sector it was supplied to.

Then they can easily reject support and warrant claims on grey imports and OEM supplied products.
Sat 24/09/05 at 16:20
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I have a serial number on the BIOS screen. Maybe it's the BOIS's serial number?
Sat 24/09/05 at 16:17
Regular
"YTS Primate"
Sorry Twain that wont work. That will only give you the BIOS details which are quite separate from the M/B serial number.

Boards roll off the production line. A Sticky paper label with a unique number is stuck on the board and another on the outside of the box. The serial number is not contained in ROM and the only way to obtain it is to look at the sticker.
Sat 24/09/05 at 15:39
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
To find your mobo's serial number without opening your PC, do this:

If you have a window in the side of your case, peek through it.

If not, this is what you do:
1. Restart your PC
2. When the BIOs info is displayed as soon as your PC restarts (black screen with white text), press the Pause Break key.
3. This will freeze the screen until you press it again. Now read through the info onscreen. It'll be there somewhere. Most likely one of the firt pieces of info on the screen.
Sat 24/09/05 at 15:11
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Ok, thanks anyway.
Sat 24/09/05 at 14:30
Regular
"YTS Primate"
The only way is to take the side off unless you still have the box it came in.
Sat 24/09/05 at 14:20
Regular
"where's my tag?"
There's a lot more too it than that for some peoples' pcs. Mine has so many fiddley wires in the way i really don't want to go back in now i've put it together.

i want to register the mobo with asus which is why i need these 2 details,
Sat 24/09/05 at 14:09
Regular
It's not really that hard to just undo the side panel and have a peer inside you know.

You just need a screwdriver.
Sat 24/09/05 at 14:04
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi,

Is it possible to find out my motherboard's 'serial number' and 'model name' from the desktop, so I don't have to take the tower apart?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.