GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Any good (i.e. cheap) shader programming resources??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/09/05 at 11:04
Regular
If anyone knows any let me know. I've gotten into learning shader assembly to further my career but am struggling to find the theory behind what you can actually do with them, so if anyone knows of anything let me know.

Anyone with a pdf of Shaderx get in touch too, I'm too skint to be able to afford it until I start my full time job ;-).
Thu 29/09/05 at 22:27
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I have some shader programming pdf's, including the ones I suspect you want. If you want me to email them over just give me your address, but they're 23MB compressed.
Fri 23/09/05 at 18:47
Regular
They make you validate your version Windows with their new fangled authentication software before you can download it, which funnily enough, my "version" of XP doesn't like :-D.

I'll need to get someone I know, maybe my girlfriend to get it and put it on a CD :-).
Fri 23/09/05 at 18:45
I'm still using the DX 2004 SDK, so no idea there. To be honest, I don't use DX anymore so there's no need. What's up with it though?
Fri 23/09/05 at 18:38
Regular
I bought Learn Vertex and Shader Programming with DirectX9. It just covers the assembly instruction sets for the two though, doesn't actually work through any algorithms for materials or the like to begin working with.

I did download RenderMonkey from the ATI site and had a look at their demos. I can't get the Nvidia SDK to run because I can't download the latest version of the DirectX SDK, anyone who has tried recently might know why ;-).

I also got my hands on a pdf of ShaderX, saves me £50 and it turns out that the only tutorial on setting up DirectX to handle shaders on gamedev is the first section of the shaderx book, so at least I've got my base application set up, just need some meshes and shaders to work through now.
Fri 23/09/05 at 18:34
Buy a dedicated book, or visit a library and order the newest copy of one to rent out. Flipcode had some stuff on it, but no longer :(

Google will reveal all, of course.
Fri 23/09/05 at 16:14
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Bonus wrote:
> because the engine
> framework I've written renders in DX9.

Then the SDK examples are the best way to go.
Fri 23/09/05 at 16:09
Regular
I'll move into opengl and cg eventually, I'm looking at DX9, HLSL and some shader model 2.0 assembly at the moment because the engine framework I've written renders in DX9.
Fri 23/09/05 at 15:37
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
NEHE might be more what you're looking for.

[URL]http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=47[/URL]
Fri 23/09/05 at 14:28
Regular
gamedev.net doesn't have all that much in the way of graphics algorithms.

I do have realtime rendering which I could use the algorithms from and program, but I'm just starting out on writing shaders and wanted some easy to do stuff, not jumping into vertex manipulation for good looking skinning etc.

I suppose I could do some nice water rippling effects, or particle systems such as fire.
Fri 23/09/05 at 12:19
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Gamedev.net
Directx9c SDK

Apparantly the shaderx bookm isn't the best.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.