GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Piracy: Cut Down"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/06/01 at 15:45
Regular
A new game being made by Codemasters has implemented a new technology known as FADE, which should help to cut down piracy.
FADE works by deleting gameplay elements gradually on the pirated version, until the game becomes totally unplayable.
I know that Codemasters had a crack at this with LMA Manager but it didn't completly cut down piracy.
But hopefully, this should.

But if it does work, will this technology be used by other companies in order to cut down Piracy. They should do.
Tue 27/10/09 at 07:37
Regular
"GONE FISHIN"
1st Antony Wall 15lb 4oz

2nd Eddie Harvey 12lb 10oz

3rd Ian Hibbitt 12lb 5oz
Thu 07/06/01 at 23:17
Regular
Batistuta wrote:
> You cant anything off napster now anyway, everything is filtered
> out. And its so damn annoying!

Well there's other Software u can find!
Thu 07/06/01 at 21:42
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> Is piracy really that bad? It can mean some cheap games.

You buy a Pirate copy off a market stand in the street for a fiver.....you get home....put in the disk and it's blank....or faulty....or just doesn't work....

You've been conned and there's nothing you can do!

So yes Pircay is that bad!
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:53
Regular
You cant anything off napster now anyway, everything is filtered out. And its so damn annoying!
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:46
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually, here is an argument:

the industry loses £30 million a year from illegal games. This assumes that 2 out of 3 illegal games would not be bought. So it adds up.

Anyway, I cannot really comment as I have several copied CD albums... however, these are all old (Bowie, Queen etc)... some of which I have on vinyl (so not illegal), but the rest of which I would never buy anyway. Is this wrong? If it is then ask yourselves... do u have napster?

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 18:25
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I currently have 14 pirated games on my PC, which I have downloaded illegally. If you want a good debate, you have to be controversial.

*waits for the torrent of verbal abuse*

Am I killing the games industry? Unlikely. I wouldn't have bought them anyway. I mean that. I haven't even gotten around to playing half of them yet. I stress that again - I would not have bought any of them anyway. Same goes for the other software on my PC - would I really fork out god knows how much for the latest version of dreamweaver? Nope.

I'm getting something for nothing, that isn't depriving anyone else of anything. Not technically stealing.

Convince me I'm wrong.
Thu 07/06/01 at 16:46
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Is piracy really that bad? It can mean some cheap games.
Thu 07/06/01 at 16:00
"High polygon count"
SonicRav wrote:
> I would rather have piracy being tackled by getting
> rid of regional lock out, universal release dates and lower
> prices...

That would be far too logical and sensible! Go sit in the corner until you learn!
Thu 07/06/01 at 15:59
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Super Gohan wrote:
> A new game being made by Codemasters has implemented a new
> technology known as FADE, which should help to cut down piracy.

> FADE works by deleting gameplay elements gradually on the pirated
> version, until the game becomes totally unplayable.
I know that
> Codemasters had a crack at this with LMA Manager but it didn't
> completly cut down piracy.

Not to sound like I like piracy... but why do u say that "hopefully" it will cut down piracy. I would rather have piracy being tackled by getting rid of regional lock out, universal release dates and lower prices...

I have posted on this many times in the past, and have named ways that they can all be implemented, and why they will work.

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 15:45
A new game being made by Codemasters has implemented a new technology known as FADE, which should help to cut down piracy.
FADE works by deleting gameplay elements gradually on the pirated version, until the game becomes totally unplayable.
I know that Codemasters had a crack at this with LMA Manager but it didn't completly cut down piracy.

But if it does work, will this technology be used by other companies in order to cut down Piracy. They should do.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.