GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Multi-lingual Website"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/09/05 at 08:15
Regular
Ok, so I've been asked to add several languages to the website I'm creating. Seen as though I've never done anything multi-lingual before and I only have a few days to do it, what would be the best way?

I'm thinking either a recopy of the website in a new subdomain or using php includes and query strings.

I think I'll be opting for the second option. Thoughts? Any better ways?
Thu 22/09/05 at 09:09
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Damarus wrote:
> Pandaemonium wrote:
> Are you planning on centering the site?
>
> Possibly.

I'd suggest it. It's fixed width to start with, and on high resolution monitors you're getting a hell of a lot of blank space to the right. You would get the same if it was centered, but it'd look neater IMHO. Add a subtle dither in the background to give the main site promenance. [URL]http://happycog.com/[/URL]

> I know, but I can never be arsed to sort IE out. ^^

Unfortunately it's still browser number one. Assey as it is, you *have* to design for it.
Thu 22/09/05 at 08:59
Regular
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Are you planning on centering the site?

Possibly.

> Not sure about the product page. The link to the product detail isn't
> clear, the detail is squashed to the right and it's broken in IE.

I know, but I can never be arsed to sort IE out. ^^

As with the product links, I'll see what I can do.
Thu 22/09/05 at 08:43
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Damarus wrote:
> Also, just a look at how I'm getting on.
> [URL]http://regal.w3-realm.com/index.php[/URL]

Quite nice. I like.

Are you planning on centering the site?

Nice and clean, industiral looking.

Not sure about the product page. The link to the product detail isn't clear, the detail is squashed to the right and it's broken in IE.
Thu 22/09/05 at 08:28
Regular
Tyla wrote:
> I would however point out to them that junior developers are paid in
> the region of £25k+/year for this sort of thing and that what
> they are asking is taking the p!ss somewhat.

I've told them it would cost somewhere in the region of 2/3k minimum to have it done elsewhere.

However, as I'm back at college next week, I wont be able to come to the office and work so I'll enjoy charging high prices for when the french side of things needs fully adding in a few weeks.

Also, just a look at how I'm getting on. [URL]http://regal.w3-realm.com/index.php[/URL]
Wed 21/09/05 at 17:06
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Emitime wrote:
> If they're not gonna pay you lots, then why bother doing it?

Experience, a live site and something to put on a CV?
Wed 21/09/05 at 16:58
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Emitime wrote:
> If they're not gonna pay you lots, then why bother doing it?

Doesn't have a choice does he... The joys of being employed instead of working for yourself, you offset regular income against hourly rate and get shafted at the same time. Personally, I'd rather be back in an office fulltime on peanuts atm.

Back tot he topic... I'd go with the latter if it's a case of "choose language" options. Milti lingual is a pain in the harris at the best of times especially when you get into the depths of unicode and carachter sets.

I would however point out to them that junior developers are paid in the region of £25k+/year for this sort of thing and that what they are asking is taking the p!ss somewhat.
Wed 21/09/05 at 16:53
Regular
"\\"
If they're not gonna pay you lots, then why bother doing it?
Wed 21/09/05 at 12:38
Regular
I would charge them if I could. In fact, I'm on minimum wage to do it.

I know it's s**t but I've been working with the company over the summer holidays doing other stuff and then I ended up doing their website. My dad and brother work at company so I got summer work through that way. I can't really ask for more money because they didn't need to take me on in the first place.

It's a bit of a sticky situation but in the end, I'm enjoying doing the website much more than what I was previously doing and at the end of the day I'm getting experience from it and hopefully a word of mouth to others.
Wed 21/09/05 at 12:08
Regular
"NULL"
Charge them lots for it. I've just finished a site that allows my client to add translations of everything on the site (page content, photo captions, dish names, etc), in any language they wish.

It will end up being more time consuming than you imagine.
Wed 21/09/05 at 08:50
Regular
monkey_man wrote:
> Bascially make it so you/they can add more languages without any
> trouble.

Don't worry about that. They plan to call me when it needs updating.

Not got time for all the database malarky anyway.

I think I'll just use:

get['lang']

include lang.php

echo $desc (from lang.php)

or similar anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.