GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Buying A PC..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/09/05 at 17:11
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Hi all, just wondering if you could lend me a hand or two. Seeing as my current pc is beginning to splutter and suck at everything it does I have decided its time to get a new one, problem is I dont really know where to start.

I have up to £1500 to spend and Id rather buy one pre-build although I could probably build one myself if need be. So just looking for recommendations of where to go what to buy ect ect.

I want it for gaming mostly along with some coursework for college and other general tasks. I was considering waiting for SR to bring back its MAXX pcs but its been a while since they were last here and I don;t know if they are still planning on re-introducing them.

Thanks, any help is much appreciated.
Sat 24/09/05 at 12:42
Regular
"Beg For Mercy"
Check this web site is going on a great deal [URL]http://www.pcs4less.com/index.php[/URL]
Tue 20/09/05 at 19:55
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Until you wake up next morning.
Mon 19/09/05 at 23:44
"Tesco value"
Put the money in the bank and wait a month.

Not a great deal of time but stuff will be that little cheaper.

or you could wait two months and the stuff that was better will be that little bit cheaper, or you could get the better stuff out at the time.

Or perhaps three months....

so on and so forth.

Technology sucks when as soon as you buy something it's obsolete.

Take said moneys, go to pub and exchange for liquid refreshment.

Go home and then cry

it's less painful, trust me.
Mon 19/09/05 at 23:38
Regular
harhharhahr
Mon 19/09/05 at 23:27
Regular
get a compaq presario for £399 and just upgrade the RAM to 1Gig and slot a pci express graphics card in, ortho u wont need 1 until a bit later, mine plays half-life 2 and doom 3 on medium-high settings fine.
Mon 19/09/05 at 22:11
Regular
"the burning sky"
About TFT's if you want to watch movies, use graphics software etc, dont go for 8ms. They may be good for games but suck for everything else. My advice got for a 12ms or 16ms, good all rounders and get one with a DVI socket. Mine is 16ms and i've not yet had a problem with my FPSs (quick moving games)

My mate had that budget and bought a beast of a gaming PC from a local shop, but they do deliver... [URL]http://www.gladiatorcomputers.com/ProductList.aspx?CategoryId=5.6&Link=BrowseSubCategory[/URL] Some beauties there, well within your budget...

This shop also won an award for this range of PC's from some magazine...
Mon 19/09/05 at 22:07
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Dell have some great offers but as you have £1500 to spend you'll probably have to look elsewhere to spend that kind of money.

One of my mates gave me a tip for buying at PC world - order the product online and say you'll pick it up at the store. It's usually cheaper than going to the store and buying it there for some reason (?)

Of course the best place to buy from is Special Reserve!
Mon 19/09/05 at 22:07
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I have replied to your same topic in the Internet forum, gr13ve, if you'd care to look.

:-)
Mon 19/09/05 at 21:24
Regular
"hulagadoo"
gerrid wrote:
> £1500 wow someone's loaded. My first suggestion is to put this
> topic in Web Design & PC, as everyone's favourite thing is coming
> up with new rigs for people. Anyway, build it yourself and save
> yourself some money on a super fast computer which will last you for
> ages.
>
> You want an AMD processer, perhaps an Athlon FX55 or 57, 2GB RAM, a
> nVidia 7800GTX GFX card, and a good case PSU and a compatible
> motherboard. You could go for a sound card if you're big on sound but
> otherwise onboard sound is fine. HDD size is your choice but you could
> get a 10,000rpm one. A screen with under 8ms response time. Anyway,
> like I say, Web Design & PC.

cheers, and i will :)
Mon 19/09/05 at 21:08
Regular
"bit of a brain"
£1500 wow someone's loaded. My first suggestion is to put this topic in Web Design & PC, as everyone's favourite thing is coming up with new rigs for people. Anyway, build it yourself and save yourself some money on a super fast computer which will last you for ages.

You want an AMD processer, perhaps an Athlon FX55 or 57, 2GB RAM, a nVidia 7800GTX GFX card, and a good case PSU and a compatible motherboard. You could go for a sound card if you're big on sound but otherwise onboard sound is fine. HDD size is your choice but you could get a 10,000rpm one. A screen with under 8ms response time. Anyway, like I say, Web Design & PC.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.