GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"An easy way to cheat on GAD?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/06/01 at 09:19
Regular
I was just thinking that it is possible to increase your word count drematically by simply hitting the "reply quoting this message". Well, actually that's a stupid point because its not like your word count counts to anything... it's not like a score.

The only place where it might count is when newbies want to become regulars... u need 300 posts and 800 words or something? How about getting rid of the word count as people can easily only type "yes" in a post, but have 50 or so words on their total!

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 10:40
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Shadowman wrote:
"...."

In reply... yes! There should be something done.. but I don't think that blocking would work. Maybe if the staff just take off people who have multiple complaints (obviosuly the complaints need justification!)

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 10:35
Regular
You are probably right, but something needs to happen. When you log on there seems to be reams of posts from New Posters and whilst you can add them to the list of people to ignore in future this is starting to get a long list
Thu 07/06/01 at 10:26
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I take your point 2 shadowman, but hold to my point 1. I think that if you told newbies they can only post 10 times a day then less people could be bothered to do it. Although this would definately increase the quality of the posts, SR would lose some custom and therefore not do this.

The price we pay for capitalism!

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 10:13
Regular
SonicRav wrote:
> Goos move on supporting star ratting Shadowman... but I don't think
> that the newbie limit would work for 2 reasons:

1) GAD is made to
> encourage people to come on the SR website... this will deter
> people.

I am not sure you are right about this, i think there are those on the site just to try and win GAD but i think the majority are here to share information and have a laugh.

2) Lots of newbies do have good things to say... it's
> just one or 2 morons that let them all down!

I agree but i think you will find there seems to be more than just one or two recently, anyway a limit at some level whether it be 10 or higher will stop people appearing one day and reaching regular the next be posting drivel.

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 10:05
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Goos move on supporting star ratting Shadowman... but I don't think that the newbie limit would work for 2 reasons:

1) GAD is made to encourage people to come on the SR website... this will deter people.

2) Lots of newbies do have good things to say... it's just one or 2 morons that let them all down!

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 10:02
Regular
Sounds like a good idea, then perhaps we will see the end of mindless drivel being posted just for people to acheive the regular status like it is a big deal or something. There are some Newbies that give other Newbies a bad name.

Another good idea to stop this would be to allow Newbies a limit of 10 posts a day until they reach Regular status, then every post whould have to be of good quality to count.
Thu 07/06/01 at 09:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
VenomByte wrote:
> Okay...but once you're a regular, your 'post count' doesn't really
> make much diffeence either.

Very true... this would be where my Star System comes into play...

Everyday the staff can award as many (or as few) stars... basically if you post a good topic/review u get a star. These don't count towards GAD, but instead have 2 purposes:

1) newbies have to make 300 posts AND have say 10 stars (depending how hard it ius to get these stars). This ensures that you can only become a regular if you posts are of good quality

2) For regulars, stars will be a kind of "repect".. the more stars you have, the more respect you willl have. It will also allow people more informed decisions when making notable elections

The number of stars you have will be displayed in your tag-line for all to see!

I've said all this before, but it has been widly ignored... maybe with GAD much bigger than it used to be then we will have a chance to see it implemented???

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 09:42
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Okay...but once you're a regular, your 'post count' doesn't really make much diffeence either.

You can rank the list in terms of words or posts, so there can't be tht much difference in importance between them?

More words per post will at least go some way to showing that the majority of your posts are meaningful. Is that important to your or not? It's all a matter of personal taste, I guess....
Thu 07/06/01 at 09:19
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I was just thinking that it is possible to increase your word count drematically by simply hitting the "reply quoting this message". Well, actually that's a stupid point because its not like your word count counts to anything... it's not like a score.

The only place where it might count is when newbies want to become regulars... u need 300 posts and 800 words or something? How about getting rid of the word count as people can easily only type "yes" in a post, but have 50 or so words on their total!

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.