GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"WOULD U LIKE TO SEGA RELEASE A NEW CONSOLE? I WOULDN'T!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/06/01 at 20:43
Regular
I find lots of people in the forums (including me) saying that they'd love to see Sega release another console- but is that really a good thing?

Admittedly, Sonic on a Sega hardware product would bring back the memories, but look at the plus points that exist when Sega are 3rd Party:

1) They can target games at multiple audiences. This lets more people buy their games, and creates more money for sega which means that they can...

2) Make better games! As I was saying in another topic, there are some 100 million games players out there... only 6 million of these have Sega's console and this severely limits the number of people able to buy Sega games. If they could target any console/consoles then they could sell up to 10 times the number of games that they are now!

3) More flexibility. Say that the Xbox flops (unlikely, but u get the idea)... then sega still have the option to transfer interest to other consoles. As it is, Sega are putting games on all 4 major consoles (DC, Ps2, GC, Xbox)... and they can be more versatile as a company this way.

4) Games will use the best of both worlds. When Sega made their own hardware they could do it in a way that they wanted. But there are so many problems with this... for example, online facilities! Wouldn't it be better if Naka-san came along in 5 years to make PSO 2... looked at the console with the best online features, and then made games for this console? Alternatively, he might want to release Sonic on every single consoles out to allow a HUGE market for it!

Anyway, those are just my views. As I've said, Sega are the biggest 3rd party developer in existance... Sega is made of 9 divisions, each of which is over twice the size of normal developers! It's huge, and has leading games in every genre... it simply cannot go wrong as a 3rd party company!

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 21:03
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Batistuta wrote:
> Maybe sega are working on a console right now! a super console to
> knock out all consoles that will released in ten years.....

lol... if theyt were they would have to use hyperthetical models about how hardware will work, and how fas t can go in 10 years. Then they will have to use hyperthetical adverts to get people to buy them... etc

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:48
Regular
Maybe sega are working on a console right now! a super console to knock out all consoles that will released in ten years.....
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:44
I think Sega has left making consoles for good. They've been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, but the t-shirt just didn't fit. But they have now found one that does, and I think they will stick with it.
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:38
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
I hope sega stick with the games for the time being. But i really can't see them developing for other consoles forever.
There will be a time, maybe ten years, when sega will release a new console. It cant be stopped, it's in their nature.
They started off with consoles and really, they are a console company, if the past 6 years is to go by 'not a successful console company'.
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:28
I have always liked Sega, and they have contributed a lot to the gaming world.

Master System - The 8-bit console, that went into direct competition with Ninty's NES. I'm sorry, but I can't remember which one was most successful, but the Master System was the fist console I ever had, and I loved it. It had some brilliant games, including Sonic, and my favourite, Secret Command.

Game Gear - The mighty Sega had a crack at taking on the mighty Gameboy, but the popularity of Ninty's little hand held wiped uot the poor Game Gear. It was a good little console and was more powerful than the Gameboy, but with a lack of stunning games, it lost out to the Gameboy.

Megadrive - Sega's most successful console that they ever made, and still one of the best, with some all time classics in Sonic and Streets of Rage. Had some stiff competition with Ninty's SNES, but prevailed.

Mega CD and 32X - Sega had a crack at making some add-ons in order to make the Megadrive even better. The Mega CD turned out to be crap, with the addition of FMV because of the CD format, still didn't help. Sega lost a lot od money due to this. The 32x was another add on and again another flop. The games just weren't good enough.

Saturn - Sega's 32-bit console came out before Sony's PSX and from what I can remember, was quite popular until the all mighty PSX did finally came out, to which the Saturn just couldn't keep up with the PSX, and lost a lot of developers and publishers to Sony. It was a pity to see a good console go.

Dreamcast - Sega's 128-bit attempt came out to massive acclaim and was doing relly well, with some absolutely brilliant games being released, including that brilliant Shenmue, one of the best games ever if you ask me. But once again, Sony knocked them out with the PS2, which was a shame, the DC was a good console.

But, I hail Sony for this, because now, Sega are concentrating solely on games, and the fact of the matter is, Sega produce some of the most innovative, original and fun games ever.

Do I want them to make another console. No! They are now doing what they do best, and we are the ones that benifit from it. They will soon become the biggest and best company in the software market.
Thu 07/06/01 at 20:09
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
PinkPig wrote:
> Well, I don't think that any competition on the gaming market can be
> a bad thing. What I certainly don't want is one company to become
> really dominate, and have no competitors, as they might end up doing
> anything they liked.

On the other hand, I would (personally) be
> very unlikely to buy a Sega console. It's all very well to say the
> Dreamcast is brilliant, but the limited fanbase, and lack of large
> numbers of games, is enough, in my opinion, to stop me buying
> one.

I think the same would apply with a future SEGA console,-
> after all, the only real reason that the Dreamcast did badly was
> because the Sega Saturn was a complete flop - there is nothing wrong
> with the console itself!

Well, obviously you have made an informed choice about buying a DC... when I had to make the same choice I was aware it might flop, but simply playing games like Code veronica and Shenmue until the GC next year was enough to make me buy it. Personal opinion eh!

Anyway, a dominating hardware maker would mbe just like a dictatorship labour government... they need proper opposition!

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 18:50
Regular
Well, I don't think that any competition on the gaming market can be a bad thing. What I certainly don't want is one company to become really dominate, and have no competitors, as they might end up doing anything they liked.

On the other hand, I would (personally) be very unlikely to buy a Sega console. It's all very well to say the Dreamcast is brilliant, but the limited fanbase, and lack of large numbers of games, is enough, in my opinion, to stop me buying one.

I think the same would apply with a future SEGA console,- after all, the only real reason that the Dreamcast did badly was because the Sega Saturn was a complete flop - there is nothing wrong with the console itself!
Thu 07/06/01 at 09:51
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
WELCOME ZENDRIXI!

Interesting name eh! Anyway, Naka-san is a bit OTT. For example, in Edge he is quoted as saying that he wants to make "Flying cars" as this would be an extension of his current work... ummmmmmm. What is his REAL job anyway?

Sonic
Thu 07/06/01 at 09:33
In a recent interview Segas Yuji Naka of sonic team hinted at the possibility of a new Sega console in the future:

IGNcube: Finally, while we look forward to all the fantastic new Sega projects on other consoles, do you think SEGA will ever make a new hardware console again?

YN: Well, I think Sega's new business direction is very exciting, giving us the freedom and creativity to work on new platforms. But given Sega's popularity in the past, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a new Sega console sometime in the future.

http://cube.ign.com/news/35378.html

Who knows, what he meant, I think the possibility of Sega making a new handheld is fairly strong. A few years in the red will be just what Sega needs to get back into the hardware making business again. But who knows??
Wed 06/06/01 at 21:17
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Zeldapro wrote:
> It would be interesting to see what SEGA would bring out but if they
> did I would wait maybe 3-4 yrs!

Very interesting. This is the FOG... so speculate!

As I see it in 3-4 years the gaming community will be as big as films, and the income from films and games will be equal (games are slightly more now!). Now, if Sega did decide to go back in could they? Answer... well, yes. They should be the biggest third party games makers in the world, and will dominate so many genres! So if they say, "we're first party only now", then people will follow in droves, as will companies.

However, I have neglected the strength of the other players. hmm... Well, Ninty will always be in there. Out of Sony and MS, I think one of these will be huge. BUT, the reason ninty have survived is their games... and sega will have estbalished their games to be just as good by then... I hope!

So there u have it.

One problem though... in 3-4years time Sega will never release a console for 2 reasons:

1) They will have reached a peak in sales and will wnat to sustain this using the "safe path"

2) They will be coming in one generation after the DC "failed", which is one generation after the Saturn "failed". I doubt they'd come into the market until a gap of a generation by which time the market will ahve changed soooo much!

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.