GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The (almost correct) history of Freeola chat"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/06/06 at 11:53
"possibly impossible"
The (almost correct) history of Freeola chat*

*actually, probably 99% false

Freeola Chat as we know it today is an offshoot of a company started by one Tony Rainbird. He was drinking a nice vintage Claret one day when an idea popped into his head to start a games retail business. He named the company Special Reserve in tribute to that fine wine.

The Chat rooms came about almost by accident when a long drunken conversation with fellow staff members was posted on an internet site. Trying to explain himself, Tony got them to set up a communications service which then became the world’s first Internet chat room.

The Chat rooms built up many members over time and became very popular, but the US Military were interested in the technology and closed the company down so it could poach the chat rooms. Not wanting to be outdone, Tony formed Freeola

In the meantime, several of his staff were coming in late to work because they were staying up late trying to complete games. Tony had another idea (amazingly enough, attributed to another fine bottle of wine) and created a cheat and walkthrough site.

Once he had the rest of his master-plan in place, he employed several ex-MI5 experts to poach the chat forum code back from the US Military using a story involving a WMD and the General’s wife. This code then formed the basis of the Freeola chatroom that we know and love today.
Sun 24/09/06 at 11:20
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
snake11 wrote:
> No, its pretty much the same, accept for the lack of people.
> You'd get plenty of n00bs in who found the site from buying
> games.

And so often I'd end up insulting them for ages... happy days, ha ha ha!
Sat 19/08/06 at 23:42
Regular
Tune in next week for the cult classic 'porpoise boy saves Hugh Manity'
Sat 19/08/06 at 16:42
Regular
"Mooching around"
Was that supposed to be a joke?
Sat 19/08/06 at 16:15
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Well, even though you mean differently, I would, becausse in every single n00b thread I had a post telling them to write properly and if they wouldn't get out.

Also advertisers, one time an advertiser actually got mad at me.

Edit: Just to say, if sometimes letters are missing form my posts, its because I tend to tap them a bit too lightly.
Fri 18/08/06 at 23:34
Regular
"Mooching around"
Snake would know :-P
Sat 05/08/06 at 21:02
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
No, its pretty much the same, accept for the lack of people. You'd get plenty of n00bs in who found the site from buying games.
Fri 04/08/06 at 15:25
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
I'm curious, so would you guys say this place has improved a lot over the time you've spent on here?

If so/not how?

Forgetting the fact there are now probably less people using the forums as much as before.
Fri 28/07/06 at 07:53
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
This was the first chatroom I ever used. Back then the forums were full of young men looking desperately for girl gamers... realising there were none so we would suck up to the mods to get a free game. Good times. Tony would post occasionally was Ali the main mod back then I forget?
Fri 14/07/06 at 18:29
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Now I remember why I loved this place so much.;D
Fri 16/06/06 at 11:53
"possibly impossible"
The (almost correct) history of Freeola chat*

*actually, probably 99% false

Freeola Chat as we know it today is an offshoot of a company started by one Tony Rainbird. He was drinking a nice vintage Claret one day when an idea popped into his head to start a games retail business. He named the company Special Reserve in tribute to that fine wine.

The Chat rooms came about almost by accident when a long drunken conversation with fellow staff members was posted on an internet site. Trying to explain himself, Tony got them to set up a communications service which then became the world’s first Internet chat room.

The Chat rooms built up many members over time and became very popular, but the US Military were interested in the technology and closed the company down so it could poach the chat rooms. Not wanting to be outdone, Tony formed Freeola

In the meantime, several of his staff were coming in late to work because they were staying up late trying to complete games. Tony had another idea (amazingly enough, attributed to another fine bottle of wine) and created a cheat and walkthrough site.

Once he had the rest of his master-plan in place, he employed several ex-MI5 experts to poach the chat forum code back from the US Military using a story involving a WMD and the General’s wife. This code then formed the basis of the Freeola chatroom that we know and love today.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.