GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"All About the Money!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/06/01 at 18:16
Regular
The consoles of the past and near future have always been around the same price tag at launch, but with two new consoles being released in europe within the next twelve months how will the prices effect the different parts of the market?

The games of the future are being produced on DVD's or similar material, continous production of these disks for a company is a lot cheaper then previous methods and materials, hence a probable drop in price of every console game, although I don't see this happening until the Xbox release I still feel the Gamecubes and PS2's games price will drop to around the £30.00 mark by next April.

The Playstation 2 has recently just lowered in price by £30.00 in the UK, ok so its not exactly a massive drop but I think I know that Sony are planning to drop it again nearer to the other next-generation consoles, causing a very competitive price along side the Xbox.

The three consoles are now all going to be fairly difference in prices, this will cause many people to go with the cheapest and many to go with the second cheapest.

and as I run out of things to type about this subject I just thought I would mention I no longer work for Eidos, and this topic is extremely boring, but it would be nice to hear peoples opinions!
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:16
Regular
"everyone says it"
The consoles of the past and near future have always been around the same price tag at launch, but with two new consoles being released in europe within the next twelve months how will the prices effect the different parts of the market?

The games of the future are being produced on DVD's or similar material, continous production of these disks for a company is a lot cheaper then previous methods and materials, hence a probable drop in price of every console game, although I don't see this happening until the Xbox release I still feel the Gamecubes and PS2's games price will drop to around the £30.00 mark by next April.

The Playstation 2 has recently just lowered in price by £30.00 in the UK, ok so its not exactly a massive drop but I think I know that Sony are planning to drop it again nearer to the other next-generation consoles, causing a very competitive price along side the Xbox.

The three consoles are now all going to be fairly difference in prices, this will cause many people to go with the cheapest and many to go with the second cheapest.

and as I run out of things to type about this subject I just thought I would mention I no longer work for Eidos, and this topic is extremely boring, but it would be nice to hear peoples opinions!
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:19
Regular
The only reason for the price drop on the UK PS2s is apparently because there has been an improvement on the strength of the yen making the exchange rate difference lower.

I cannot see the price of games coming down on these consoles in the near future as the cost of developing the games is becoming more and more expensive, especially this early into the new generation of consoles life cycles. I have no doubt that the price of games will drop once companies get to grips with the new systems, but we may need to wait a while for this to be the case with the PS2.
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:20
Apparently the PS2 is going to drop a third off its price by October - is this true?
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:23
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
One of my friends said that he had heard somewhere that the GC could go as low as £150.

I still dont care if the PS2 does end up lower than priced than the GC cos I would still probably get on!
Wed 06/06/01 at 18:32
Regular
Zelda deserves a Blue Peter bagde for inginuity. Price doesn't matter, if MGS2 comes out at £50, i'll buy it. I paid £300 for my PS2, and will buy the HDD, modem, mouse and Keyboad to go with them. It's the quality of the games that counts, and I'm happy with my PS2.
Wed 06/06/01 at 19:04
The price of a console does have some affect on the success of a console. Some people will buy the cheaper console where as gaming fanatics will spend as much as they can on one or more consoles.

The main reason that people buy the cheapest one is because they simply can't afford to get the most expensive one. This one normally falls down to parents, as some of them simply can't afford to spend about £300 on a console, and when they see one that is £150-£200, a much more attractive price, they will most likely buy that one. In most cases, the parents don't know too much about consoles, so the cheapest one is always the most attractive one.
In other cases, some people just don't earn enough money to but one, I know I don't, so I will probably stick with my PS2 instead of buying another one.

Of course, you get those gaming fanatics, who will buy all of the consoles, because they want to sample every console, and its games, and have the best of all three, instead of just one.

It is a very similar story with games. The most attractive looking games are nearly always the ones that are cheaper. People will walk around a shop, and then they'll see a great game for £40, and then notice an equally great game for £20. Which one would you buy?
People like me, who knows quite a lot about games, will obviously go for the games they know are absolutely brilliant, regardless of the price, but other people, who don't know so much about games, will most likely buy the cheapest one.

I could be wrong with this, but I find that this is normally the case.
Wed 06/06/01 at 19:08
The price of a console does have some affect on the success of a console. Some people will buy the cheaper console where as gaming fanatics will spend as much as they can on one or more consoles.

The main reason that people buy the cheapest one is because they simply can't afford to get the most expensive one. This one normally falls down to parents, as some of them simply can't afford to spend about £300 on a console, and when they see one that is £150-£200, a much more attractive price, they will most likely buy that one. In most cases, the parents don't know too much about consoles, so the cheapest one is always the most attractive one.
In other cases, some people just don't earn enough money to but one, I know I don't, so I will probably stick with my PS2 instead of buying another one.

Of course, you get those gaming fanatics, who will buy all of the consoles, because they want to sample every console, and its games, and have the best of all three, instead of just one.

It is a very similar story with games. The most attractive looking games are nearly always the ones that are cheaper. People will walk around a shop, and then they'll see a great game for £40, and then notice an equally great game for £20. Which one would you buy?
People like me, who knows quite a lot about games, will obviously go for the games they know are absolutely brilliant, regardless of the price, but other people, who don't know so much about games, will most likely buy the cheapest one.

I could be wrong with this, but I find that this is normally the case.
Wed 06/06/01 at 19:10
Sorry, didn't mean to post the same message twice. I was having problems with my internet connection.
Tony, feel free to delete one of them.
I didn't mean to cause any problems
Wed 06/06/01 at 19:14
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
you make me sick.

I'm sorry that wasn't called for was it. Please accept my full apologies
Wed 06/06/01 at 19:16
The_Vottanator wrote:
> you make me sick.

I'm sorry that wasn't called for was it. Please
> accept my full apologies

What was that for. I apoligised didn't I. It was an accident.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.