GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A PSP For Your Thoughts?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/09/05 at 11:21
Regular
I'm fairly new here, so sorry if this is a bit rough round the edges. But anyway...

I guess the release of a SONY handheld was inevitable. Nintendo’s dominance of the console market came to an end in the PlayStation era and SONY weren’t going to stop there. It looks like Nintendo’s formerly undeniable two-handed grip on the handheld console market is beginning to slip too thanks to SONYs little black beauty.

My first impressions are good. If, like me, you’ve got no dead pixels on your machine, then count your blessings, some weren’t as fortunate! Regardless of SONY’s Apple-like ability to create slick, sexy products I was still wowed by the PSP. The screen, the casing, the buttons, the way the background colour changes according to the month of the year - it’s all very special!

At £180, the PSP isn’t cheap. You could get a Gameboy Advance AND a Nintendo DS for the price. Also, with over 5,000 Gameboy games in the back catalogue, you’d be hard pushed not to find a decent alternative to all the PSP launch titles! Still, one thing that you can’t deny the PSP does well is graphics - while not quite to the same standard as the PS2 (probably due to developers’ lack of familiarity with the development kits) a couple of the launch titles are absolutely jaw-dropping from a handheld perspective – have you seen Wipeout Pure? ‘Pure’ genius, that’s my verdict!

While PSP games aren’t cheap (Around £30-35) they’re great value for the most part. Taking a page from the GBA’s book, some of the games offer a ‘Game Share’ feature and the PSP’s built in Wi-Fi will surely encourage developers to get their games ‘online’ or Wi-Fi enabled! Wi-Fi is definitely the future and I for one will be glad to see the end of wired handheld multiplayer!

Included with the 2.0 firmware update was a basic web browser. It’s by no means competition for Firefox or IE, but on the go it’s pretty neat. The few hurdles the browser is yet to overcome is that of being (Macromedia) Flash compatible. With so many web-pages using flash nowadays, it’s definitely something SONY will want to add as soon as they can!

While games are the main reason you’d own a PSP, the PSP actually does a lot more. Not only can you store pictures, movies and text on there, but you can also store MP3’s, browse the web (as above) and also rumoured is the ability to use the PSP as a controller for the PS3 upon it’s arrival next spring. I think this’d be awesome. A major draw of the DS is that you can have your gameplay on one screen and then tactics or fine details on the other. Imagine playing Killzone 3 or Socom 4 on the PS3 and having details of supply-drops and enemy troop positions on your PSP. In the middle of a game on PS3, if you had a PSP connected, you could even change focus onto the PSP screen and do a mini-game in order to unlock a door or strategise your football team’s tactics! The options are near limitless if you hooked it up to a PS3!

Right, the games... My three favourites are Wipeout, Mercury and Lumines. Wipeout is everything a Wipeout game should be. I played Wipeout Fusion on the PS2 and it didn’t quite have the same sense of speed as the PSone incarnations. You were forever getting hit by rockets, quakes and the like and it wasn’t really about racing as much a Wipeout 3 was. The good news is that in the middle/later levels and on higher difficulties Wipeout is as much an adrenaline rush as it was back in the day – Yay!

Mercury is essentially Marble Madness reinvented. While it doesn’t really push the boundaries of what the PSP can do, it’s an excellent puzzle game. The basic premise, as you may know, is to get a certain amount of mercury to the end of the level. Stopping you are tricky mazes that will separate your mercury, cause you to spill some and also enemies that’ll sap your mercury! It almost feels like a tech-demo made into a game. There are things about the game that lack a touch of polish, but other than that it’s a decent game that has great pick-up and play value for when you’ve got 10-20 minutes to kill!

Lumines is off the wall, I haven’t figured it out completely and the 3-pages of English manual aren’t helping! The basic premise is to get blocks of 4 squares (2-up x 2-across) to keep the music playing or the beat going. It’s weird, but has a lot of potential. Think MTV Music Generator mixed with Tetris – so if this kind of thing is your bag, try it out!

My one gripe with the PSP - and it’s a sizable one - is the position of the analogue ‘stick’. The Analogue stick (if it can be dignified as such) which is nicer to use IMO than the D-Pad, is at the very bottom of the left-hand-side of the PSP and a nightmare to use with any decent control. You can lower your hand, but the PSP feels out of place and at £180 you certainly don’t want to drop it!!! The other buttons including the volume, brightness, ‘Home’ button, etc are all neatly arranged around the PSP so the design in general is fairly good. I guess one can only do so much with the layout of the buttons if you have a whopping 5”-odd screen, but if they’d switched the D-Pad with the Analogue-stick things would have been so much better – hold the PSP upside down, and you’ll see what I mean! Still, I guess I’ll get used to it!

I’m dead happy with my PSP. Not only is the best yet to come – I believe we’ll eventually be using MSN-type programs and playing people far away (through Gamespy Tunnel, maybe) but the games of the future should be a lot more polished. If you compare the first SSX on PS2 to something newer like God of War, it’s hard to believe they’re on the same console! With GTAs, GTs and all our favourite PlayStation franchises likely to be represented in portable form on the PSP, the future looks great - for now, although we can expect a few set-backs and/teething problems, games like WipEout Pure, Ridge Racer and Lumines are proof the the console has a solid foundation on which to build. The outlawing of ‘home brew’ stuff through the 2.0 firmware update is a shame (Playing all the SNES games through an emulator would be awesome!) but it’s not a huge loss and Wipeout and Tiger Woods will soon take your mind off it! With MP3 playback, the ability to rip and store your movies onto a memory stick and the whole host of other features the PSP is the ultimate mobile entertainment platform. Sure it’s expensive, but it’s definitely worth it in my opinion. Not only have SONY got their foot in the door with the PSP, they’ve actually entered the room and taken a seat right next to the big N.

My advice to the sceptics? [URL]http://specialreserve.co.uk/psp[/URL] !!

PS: If the idea of Pro Evolution Soccer, Grand Theft Auto or SSX on PSP doesn’t sell it to you, then nothing will!

So how about you guys? How was it for you?
Tue 06/09/05 at 23:16
Regular
"es argh"
Ho ho ho the 1.5+ and 2.0 firmware downgrade comes out soon.

Not that I'm all that fussed, I don't seem to of missed out on anything apart from playing old Nintendo games, but you never know.

But if it becomes quite useful then I hope someone cracks 2.0 as the newer games, methinks, requires 2.0. the constant downgrading would be mnuuuh.
Tue 06/09/05 at 21:10
"High polygon count"
Young at heart!

Mentally, I'm probably young enough to be your unborn brother...
Tue 06/09/05 at 20:51
Regular
"Mozzy"
34 years old? You're old enough to be my dad.
Tue 06/09/05 at 20:14
"High polygon count"
Ivona Tinkle wrote:
> The outlawing of ‘home brew’ stuff through the 2.0 firmware
> update is a shame (Playing all the SNES games through an emulator
> would be awesome!

This would be about the only point I disagree with.

'Home brew' is a good idea in theory, but there are two issues I have with it - one is major, the other minor.

The major issue is that, if people can hack the operating system to run their own software, what's to stop some unscrupulous git from distributing code that wipes the flash memory and trashes your shiny new PSP?

The minor issue is... I honestly don't see why someone would spend £180 to buy a state-of-the-art system and play old SNES/GBA games on it. Okay, the SNES wasn't portable, but if you want to play GBA games, buy a GBA - it's cheaper. At 34 years old, I've often been starry-eyed about the games I played as a kid. And I've got emulators for my PC, but the truth is that when it comes to playing the retro games, no matter how good they were back in the day, they're utter rubbish now. Certainly not worth paying out £180 to play.
Tue 06/09/05 at 12:26
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
Ivona Tinkle wrote:
> My advice to the sceptics? [URL]http://specialreserve.co.uk/psp[/URL]!!

Hey! No linking to our competitors' si... er, hang on.

No, this isn't a staffie in disguise.
Tue 06/09/05 at 11:21
Regular
I'm fairly new here, so sorry if this is a bit rough round the edges. But anyway...

I guess the release of a SONY handheld was inevitable. Nintendo’s dominance of the console market came to an end in the PlayStation era and SONY weren’t going to stop there. It looks like Nintendo’s formerly undeniable two-handed grip on the handheld console market is beginning to slip too thanks to SONYs little black beauty.

My first impressions are good. If, like me, you’ve got no dead pixels on your machine, then count your blessings, some weren’t as fortunate! Regardless of SONY’s Apple-like ability to create slick, sexy products I was still wowed by the PSP. The screen, the casing, the buttons, the way the background colour changes according to the month of the year - it’s all very special!

At £180, the PSP isn’t cheap. You could get a Gameboy Advance AND a Nintendo DS for the price. Also, with over 5,000 Gameboy games in the back catalogue, you’d be hard pushed not to find a decent alternative to all the PSP launch titles! Still, one thing that you can’t deny the PSP does well is graphics - while not quite to the same standard as the PS2 (probably due to developers’ lack of familiarity with the development kits) a couple of the launch titles are absolutely jaw-dropping from a handheld perspective – have you seen Wipeout Pure? ‘Pure’ genius, that’s my verdict!

While PSP games aren’t cheap (Around £30-35) they’re great value for the most part. Taking a page from the GBA’s book, some of the games offer a ‘Game Share’ feature and the PSP’s built in Wi-Fi will surely encourage developers to get their games ‘online’ or Wi-Fi enabled! Wi-Fi is definitely the future and I for one will be glad to see the end of wired handheld multiplayer!

Included with the 2.0 firmware update was a basic web browser. It’s by no means competition for Firefox or IE, but on the go it’s pretty neat. The few hurdles the browser is yet to overcome is that of being (Macromedia) Flash compatible. With so many web-pages using flash nowadays, it’s definitely something SONY will want to add as soon as they can!

While games are the main reason you’d own a PSP, the PSP actually does a lot more. Not only can you store pictures, movies and text on there, but you can also store MP3’s, browse the web (as above) and also rumoured is the ability to use the PSP as a controller for the PS3 upon it’s arrival next spring. I think this’d be awesome. A major draw of the DS is that you can have your gameplay on one screen and then tactics or fine details on the other. Imagine playing Killzone 3 or Socom 4 on the PS3 and having details of supply-drops and enemy troop positions on your PSP. In the middle of a game on PS3, if you had a PSP connected, you could even change focus onto the PSP screen and do a mini-game in order to unlock a door or strategise your football team’s tactics! The options are near limitless if you hooked it up to a PS3!

Right, the games... My three favourites are Wipeout, Mercury and Lumines. Wipeout is everything a Wipeout game should be. I played Wipeout Fusion on the PS2 and it didn’t quite have the same sense of speed as the PSone incarnations. You were forever getting hit by rockets, quakes and the like and it wasn’t really about racing as much a Wipeout 3 was. The good news is that in the middle/later levels and on higher difficulties Wipeout is as much an adrenaline rush as it was back in the day – Yay!

Mercury is essentially Marble Madness reinvented. While it doesn’t really push the boundaries of what the PSP can do, it’s an excellent puzzle game. The basic premise, as you may know, is to get a certain amount of mercury to the end of the level. Stopping you are tricky mazes that will separate your mercury, cause you to spill some and also enemies that’ll sap your mercury! It almost feels like a tech-demo made into a game. There are things about the game that lack a touch of polish, but other than that it’s a decent game that has great pick-up and play value for when you’ve got 10-20 minutes to kill!

Lumines is off the wall, I haven’t figured it out completely and the 3-pages of English manual aren’t helping! The basic premise is to get blocks of 4 squares (2-up x 2-across) to keep the music playing or the beat going. It’s weird, but has a lot of potential. Think MTV Music Generator mixed with Tetris – so if this kind of thing is your bag, try it out!

My one gripe with the PSP - and it’s a sizable one - is the position of the analogue ‘stick’. The Analogue stick (if it can be dignified as such) which is nicer to use IMO than the D-Pad, is at the very bottom of the left-hand-side of the PSP and a nightmare to use with any decent control. You can lower your hand, but the PSP feels out of place and at £180 you certainly don’t want to drop it!!! The other buttons including the volume, brightness, ‘Home’ button, etc are all neatly arranged around the PSP so the design in general is fairly good. I guess one can only do so much with the layout of the buttons if you have a whopping 5”-odd screen, but if they’d switched the D-Pad with the Analogue-stick things would have been so much better – hold the PSP upside down, and you’ll see what I mean! Still, I guess I’ll get used to it!

I’m dead happy with my PSP. Not only is the best yet to come – I believe we’ll eventually be using MSN-type programs and playing people far away (through Gamespy Tunnel, maybe) but the games of the future should be a lot more polished. If you compare the first SSX on PS2 to something newer like God of War, it’s hard to believe they’re on the same console! With GTAs, GTs and all our favourite PlayStation franchises likely to be represented in portable form on the PSP, the future looks great - for now, although we can expect a few set-backs and/teething problems, games like WipEout Pure, Ridge Racer and Lumines are proof the the console has a solid foundation on which to build. The outlawing of ‘home brew’ stuff through the 2.0 firmware update is a shame (Playing all the SNES games through an emulator would be awesome!) but it’s not a huge loss and Wipeout and Tiger Woods will soon take your mind off it! With MP3 playback, the ability to rip and store your movies onto a memory stick and the whole host of other features the PSP is the ultimate mobile entertainment platform. Sure it’s expensive, but it’s definitely worth it in my opinion. Not only have SONY got their foot in the door with the PSP, they’ve actually entered the room and taken a seat right next to the big N.

My advice to the sceptics? [URL]http://specialreserve.co.uk/psp[/URL] !!

PS: If the idea of Pro Evolution Soccer, Grand Theft Auto or SSX on PSP doesn’t sell it to you, then nothing will!

So how about you guys? How was it for you?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.