GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mobile Phone Questions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/09/05 at 23:18
Regular
Q1a) Is www.mobileshop.com an OK place to buy from? (3)

1b) What happens when a contract finishes (ie, what happens after 12 months on a 12 month contract?) (4)

Threshold for achievement: 5/7
Mon 05/09/05 at 23:18
Regular
Q1a) Is www.mobileshop.com an OK place to buy from? (3)

1b) What happens when a contract finishes (ie, what happens after 12 months on a 12 month contract?) (4)

Threshold for achievement: 5/7
Mon 05/09/05 at 23:27
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
munn wrote:
> Q1a) Is www.mobileshop.com an OK place to buy from? (3)

Never used them before but they look fairly decent.
>
> 1b) What happens when a contract finishes (ie, what happens after 12
> months on a 12 month contract?) (4)

You either re new or terminate the contract. Usually most places will offer a free upgrade (ie a new handset or a better price plan) if you take out another 12 month contract, or you go off and find a better mobile network. You keep the handset but may loose the number.

> Threshold for achievement: 5/7
Mon 05/09/05 at 23:38
"slightlyshortertagl"
www.chatterbox.com is great, esp if you're not too fussed with the handset, you may be able to pull off 500mins/month, with no line rental for the first 12 months... and get a free PS2 in there with that.
Tue 06/09/05 at 00:11
Regular
AliBoy wrote:
> munn wrote:
> Q1a) Is www.mobileshop.com an OK place to buy from? (3)
>
> Never used them before but they look fairly decent.

1/3, not entirely helpful, but better than nothing, and good for my morale, cheers
They appear on most Kelkoo and "shopping.com" searches, so they must be good.

> 1b) What happens when a contract finishes (ie, what happens after 12
> months on a 12 month contract?) (4)
>
> You either re new or terminate the contract. Usually most places will
> offer a free upgrade (ie a new handset or a better price plan) if you
> take out another 12 month contract, or you go off and find a better
> mobile network. You keep the handset but may loose the number.

Marks TBA - can you keep the handset and change to a regular pay as you go or something just by buying a new sim card?
Tue 06/09/05 at 00:14
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
munn wrote:

> 1/3, not entirely helpful, but better than nothing, and good for my
> morale, cheers
> They appear on most Kelkoo and "shopping.com" searches, so
> they must be good.

Can trust them if they appear on kelkoo. :-)

> Marks TBA - can you keep the handset and change to a regular pay as
> you go or something just by buying a new sim card?

Depends, if the pay as you go sim is on another network you'd need to get the phone unlocked probably. Other than that you could use the handset with a pay as you go sim.
Tue 06/09/05 at 00:53
Regular
Cool.

One last question, is it worth getting insurance?

It's free for 3 months, but then it's 5.99 a month (54 quid before the contract ends), and it doesn't cover loss, and won't accept a claim if I'm under 18 (Which will be until January).

So i can't see the worth of getting it if I can't use it for 4 months (Mind you, I'll only pay for one before my birthday......).

Also, what's the deal with fees - do I get a bill through the post every month or what?
Tue 06/09/05 at 14:28
Regular
[URL]http://www.mobileshop.com/mobile-phones/o2/contract-mobile-phones/nokia-6230i.php/PNEWO2623I0001?kelkoo_mshop[/URL]

Should I buy that?
it all seems good, but I don't understand contract phones that well.

It'kll work out that I pay 20 quid a month for it for 12 months, but after 6 and then 12 months I'll get 40 quid cashback (So 80 overall if you can't add).

The only thing that seems to worry me about it is this insurance stuff and what happens when the contract finishes.

Surely I can keep the phone if I want and get a new sim card (as Aliboy implied, so that's alright), but i'm not sure abotu paying for the insurance as it's quite expensive over the period of a year (54 quid, but if I lose it after 4 or 5 months it's OK, if I lsoe it before then I can't claim as I'm only 17 though?)
Wed 07/09/05 at 03:25
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
> It'kll work out that I pay 20 quid a month for it for 12 months, but
> after 6 and then 12 months I'll get 40 quid cashback (So 80 overall
> if you can't add).

Try and look at it from a 12 month standpoint. The line rental for 12 months is £160 (thats £13.33 a month - more than a BT landline).

The free minutes and texts halves after 3 months. Bit of a honeymoon offer to be honest, you get 9 months with only 1000 minutes and only 100 texts - depends whether you talk and/or text a lot but I couldn't go with 100 texts a month. 12p a text after you use your free texts.

...it's amazing how bad you can make a "deal" look if you flip it the other way around.

> The only thing that seems to worry me about it is this insurance
> stuff and what happens when the contract finishes.

You might have to cancel the insurance in advance, and certainly after the 12 month contract. If there's an option to go without insurance and you're not Mr Butterfingers it might be £54 well saved - I know a lot of people who drop their phones on the floor, down the toilet etc (or claim to have) and have got a new phone fairly instantly.

Getting a good contract deal takes some doing, the best thing you can do is go down your local high street/shopping centre etc and spend a couple of hours comparing what's on offer, and seeing if that nice young man behind the counter is willing to give a bit more than what the offer says - you can always take your custom elsewhere, and they dont want that! No sir!
Wed 07/09/05 at 11:10
Regular
Aha, cheers.
I was planning in going into Glasgow today>
I'll probably visit the O2 shop, as I found a much better deal last night (Although I found a fantastic one somewhere else - they don't accept Visa Electron though (neither does mobileshop.com), hence I decided I'd go into Glasgow today.

Cheers for your help though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.