GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Not what it used to be"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/09/05 at 18:49
Regular
I was just thinking today about gaming in general. It was all sparked off by me going round to a mates house and seeing him playing his Xbox. I thought to myself, when was the last time I really played a game?

When I got San Andreas back in early June I played it and played it for a few weeks but after that I got a little stuck. Normally the allure of the game brings me back to it or when I'm bored I just go on my Xbox. Recently though I really haven't felt the urge to play a game in the same way I used to and even my Xbox has been acting up (its disc tray being very temperamental)

With the onslaught of another generation of consoles just around the corner I'm wondering whether or not I'm actually going to bother buying one. Although I'd play it a lot because of novelty value it'd soon become another dust-gatherer that caused me to fork out a fair amount of cash whenever I see a new game coming along. After all, new consoles have more games and higher prices.

Excluding San Andreas, I can't remember the last time I just sat and gamed in the room whilst the Sun drifted by outside. It shouldn't really make me forlorn that I can't get into a disc with some information on anymore, but, I enjoyed gaming for many years and it's something I devoted some time to. I will still go back and play my Xbox from time to time, but more nostalgically then anything else.

I still subscribe to OXM and read the magazines. Even that's not the same. I used to spend some hours reading the reviews, counting the days until games I wanted were out and putting money aside, I even played the demo discs for hours and entered the competitions. Now I barely ever put the disc on, if I do it's just to watch someone's Driv3r playback or PGR cone score.

Everything is subject to change. The outdoors is appealing, as it always has been, but now the indoor environments just can't hold their own against it even for brief periods of time anymore. I haven't played the discs as much since my old tv with VCR was replaced by a DVD-combi.

So, I'll still talk about games and my opinions and play the ones I already own but the future of my gaming is ... uncertain
Tue 06/09/05 at 13:30
"period drama"
Well, we're posting on an internet chat forum here - I think 'trivial' pretty much covers all the bases. If no-one responded to all thing trivial, then there'd be about 3 posts a day.

But I like posting here ... if I didn't, then I wouldn't.
And I like writing stuff in general ... if I didn't, then I wouldn't.

And that's that, unless you want to go into a big pointless 'few, long post vs. many short post' fight, which might provide a bit of lunchtime entertainment and some more mini-essay in response to trivial matters.

Live? Nah, not for me ... I've always seen the XB as a bit souless, but that's probably my ignorance shining through. We'll see how it hangs with the next batch, I suppose.

Oh my, I appear to be writing about what the topic intended. How bizzare.
But yes, at the moment, I feel no compulsion to play any games - well, I do play WoW for stupid amounts of time, but even that's not really all it's cracked up to be most of the time.

I suppose games are mostly for relieving stress, having a bit of time-out ... but during the summer-holidays for most, and while I doss around waiting for uni to start, there's no stress to relieve. Hell, I haven't worn my watch for the last 3 months, and I love it.
Maybe I'll need my little virtual stress-ball when I actually have some work to do - ah, and they're also a good way to avoid work entirely, which is always nice.

Ah, gosh darn, another essay I see. Think yourselves lucky, you just get so much of my precious time. Yeah, it's just give-give-give with me.
Big hugs now.
Tue 06/09/05 at 12:49
Regular
"8==="
See now we're back to 'oh dear' territory because you wrote another mini-essay.

Edit: And it was a genuine question, because the length of your replies to things I would deem 'trivial' are baffling so I was wondering what exactly was prompting you to write these things.

Plan on getting Live anytime soon?
Tue 06/09/05 at 11:54
"period drama"
:' )

Is this the part when we compare lives, and you get to show everyone how very superior your are? That's nice, I'm glad we're sharing.

Well, I usually just stimulate my penis when I see my name pop up, and when it's really late, I tend to melt the things lying about my desk with matches I collect from hotels and bars, then I google for "ugly people" and try to make myself feel better, fail miserably and almost (almost) slit my wrists. Then, when I get I bit to sleepy and my heady-weddy starts to drooop, I go snuggle in my big bed with all my toys and fall asleep safely, dreaming of kittens and rape-songs.

Did I win?

Now it's your turn! We can share our deepest thought and feelings, and every detail of our lives, and bond together on the Internet like all good friends do ... then feel better off for discussing our character flaws and having a good ol' chuckle.
Tue 06/09/05 at 01:36
Regular
"8==="

Tell me, what exactly do you do when you're posting?
Tue 06/09/05 at 01:16
"period drama"
See! Amazing!

yey
Tue 06/09/05 at 01:12
Regular
"8==="
and we're back to 'oh dear' again.
Tue 06/09/05 at 00:55
"period drama"
Nah, it's better without. Then we can say what we want and it's the other person's fault if they didn't understand, and, of course (your favourite, I believe) we can say something so very simple, but which can mean almost an infinite amount of things, none of which actually mean anything, and all of which are so, so terribly wrong.

God bless the Internet and all who sail in her.
Or mail in her, perhaps, if we want to crawl into a depressive ball of poorness.

I'd like that.
Tue 06/09/05 at 00:47
Regular
"8==="
Clearly I am "the man".

I think we need a really good way of blatantly showing tone of 'voice' on these forums.
Tue 06/09/05 at 00:44
"period drama"
<3

I think I may actually love you.
Tue 06/09/05 at 00:33
Regular
"8==="
and that's an 'oh dear' on so many levels.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.