GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"When graphics get too good"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/09/05 at 20:05
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
Seeing as the next generation of consoles is only a little way away I started to think about the graphical improvements that they would bring for the console market at least and something slightly disturbing struck me.When graphics eventually reach the point of being almost identical to what we see in reality(I'm talking way,way down the line)will we feel comfortable playing video games.

What I'm saying is that if video games eventually reach the point where it is as if you are playing 'real life' would we be comfortable playing.It would be unnerving playing games in this era as when you acted in the game it would look like the thing was real.Lets say in GTA.You walking down the street andhave to shoot in the game.The problem is that it would look real and that would sort of blur the line between video games and reality.I don't for one second think its going to turn people into killers but I know I wouldn't feel happy doing this even if it was in a game.If you saw someone dying after in being shot in the real world it would disturb you and mess your mind up a bit.

This would be different to movies because you would be responsible.I would not feel happy killing someone in a game if it Looked real.That is the key.Would you be comfortable doing that if it looked real.This applies to any game.Shooting,driving etc.The only exceptions I can think of are dance and singing and puzzle games.
Sun 04/09/05 at 18:50
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
Indeed.That makes me feel a hell of a lot better.
Sun 04/09/05 at 16:36
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Playboy the Mansion would be a lot better to play though
Sun 04/09/05 at 16:07
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
Sports games would be great but shooters would make some feel uneasy.
Sun 04/09/05 at 13:08
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Games where you kill could have an effect on certain people but non violent games such as football would be stunning!
Sun 04/09/05 at 11:36
"Genius!"
Your a bit short minded if a game would affect you like that? Your playing a game you control whatever you want, why would that affect you?
Sun 04/09/05 at 07:51
Regular
"Gamertag = Chavex"
Walrus wrote:
> Chavez XVI wrote:
> soldiers do this every day in real life!
>
>
> Would you want to be a soldier and have to shoot someone though?

No i would'nt....but its only a game, your choice wether you want to play it or not....
Sun 04/09/05 at 01:39
Regular
"Captain to you."
It's not so much about the graphics as the interface in which you view them, if you are playing a game on a monitor even if it looks perfectly real; you are not going to be affected by your actions as you are just looking at a screen.

If however it got to dare i say it 'matrix' level where you experience the game first hand then people could get confused/upset/distressed at the actions they have to perform.
Sat 03/09/05 at 21:34
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
Chavez XVI wrote:
> soldiers do this every day in real life!

Would you want to be a soldier and have to shoot someone though?
Sat 03/09/05 at 21:32
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Well, no, because even if the graphics look like real-life, it doesn't
> mean the situations portrayed therefrom will be life-like as well. A
> realistic-looking racer could have arcady-handling cars, over-the-top
> speed and crashes.

I meant that.If the graphics looked real it would boost the popularity of games that had over the top speed and crashes.
Sat 03/09/05 at 21:26
Regular
"Gamertag = Chavex"
I would'nt mind having real to life graphics. Its only a game your playing, and soldiers do this every day in real life!Nobody says anything about this though! The simple answer is, if you think it will upset you, dont get it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.