GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Graphics help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/09/05 at 18:17
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Tried to install a new game on my PC today and after the installation i was greeted by a message saying

*failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system, Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer*

So at that point i figured all i had to do was get Directx 9.0 as i've just recently reformatted my hard drive to put Windows XP on and i wouldn't have it on yet, however after downloading it and going through the set up screen all it did was instantly say it had installed all the components. I thought that was weird as usually it takes a while for the bar to go across as it's downloading and applying stuff.

Sure enough i try the game again and it says the same thing. So i decide to try and install another game hoping it would load up and install Directx 9 for me. Then i get greeted by another error message saying it can't load the game up.

So i check my device manager and apparently i don't have a graphics card, however i can change display and colour settings and i can also play Football Manager 2005 fine. So as i'm useless at hardware problems i can't figure out what the problem is, surely if my computer will load up Football Manager 2005 there's a graphics card somewhere about
Sun 04/09/05 at 19:40
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Got it working now, pretty much what you said it was Gerrid. Got my friend to help me by remote assistance over msn and he got it working.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Much appreciated
Sun 04/09/05 at 09:22
Regular
"the burning sky"
Yeah, it doesnt necessarily matter where you've got it plugged in. I uninstalled my GFX card (not physically), but my monitor was still plugged into the graphics card and it continued to function...
Sun 04/09/05 at 00:30
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Ah yes I remember why I was having trouble now, I didn't have any drivers for my card and WME decided it didn't want to recognise my gfx card.

Anyway, I think it's almost certain that your reformat has caused your onboard gfx to override your card. So, like Chipp says, search for new hardware and install the drivers and whatnot, and everything should be fine.
Sun 04/09/05 at 00:20
Regular
"Captain to you."
gerrid wrote:
> but I'm sure someone here will know how to reinstall a graphics card.

Put card in, install drivers, go to bios turn off onboard graphics and boot up windows.
Sat 03/09/05 at 23:56
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Chippxero wrote:
> If it was running off onboard he would have had to plug his monitor in
> to the onboard port.

Not necessarily. Sometimes it recognises the GFX card as a PCI bridge and can still run the monitor from where it's plugged in. It happened to me when I reformatted. I wasn't around when my dad tried to fix it, but he phoned up ntl and they helped him sort, which was nice of them. Unfortunately that means that I can't be a great deal of help, but I'm sure someone here will know how to reinstall a graphics card.
Sat 03/09/05 at 23:53
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Ah ok, i think that may be the case as like i said when i look in device manager i apparently don't have a graphics card plus that would explain why i can play Footie Manager but nothing else.

Drat now i've got to go searching for the install disk

Maybe not then after Chip's post hehe
Sat 03/09/05 at 23:52
Regular
"Captain to you."
If it was running off onboard he would have had to plug his monitor in to the onboard port.
Sat 03/09/05 at 23:47
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Just a guess here, but after reformatting your computer are you sure you reinstalled your graphics card? Because if your motherboard has onboard graphics and Windows is feeling stupid, it won't recognise what you've got stuck in your AGP slot and will automatically revert to your onboard graphics.

When you look in your system or display settings, does it mention your graphics card? If not then you're probably running off onboard graphics. That would suffice for Premier Manager, but not for anything else. You'll need to, basically, reinstall your graphics card if this is the case.
Sat 03/09/05 at 22:19
Regular
"Captain to you."
It may take up to an hour to do, but well worth it.
Sat 03/09/05 at 22:18
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
cheers

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.