GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UMD movies"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/09/05 at 16:18
"High polygon count"
I don't have any yet, but what do they contain? Is it the movie only, or are there any menus/extra features as with DVD?

I didn't really see the new format taking off, but having seen the picture quality (on the PSP demo disc), now I'm not so sure! It really is superb. I can't help but wonder if there will be third-party UMD players available in the future. For a movie on the move, it's better than a portable DVD player. But a portable DVD player has the edge, simply because you already own the disc to play in it.

Anyway, what I'd like to see in future is some form of combo available when buying a DVD. A combined DVD/UMD pack would be ideal, either at no extra cost, or for a few quid extra. Or maybe some form of coupon to send away for the UMD version.

If I had the choice of buying a DVD for £13.99 or a DVD+UMD combo for £15.99, I would take the combo pack.

It is a great format, and I'd love for it to succeed. However, currently a UMD movie is no use unless you have a PSP, and to be honest, I can't see many people buying a movie on both formats at the same price.

Yes, I know you can rip a DVD and put it on a Memory Stick, but there are people who are not technically minded enough to do so. There will even be PSP owners who don't have PCs, so for them it isn't an option.

In my opinion, Sony need to push UMD hard by either 'giving them away' with the DVD version, or at least drastically reducing the price of UMD movies to around a fiver.

Chances of any of this happening? Probably very slim. But we can hope.
Thu 01/09/05 at 20:26
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
£19.99, that's what Gamestation are selling UMD movies for. Can't see them flying off the shelves.
Thu 01/09/05 at 16:39
"period drama"
I still really can't see too many film companies releasing films on UMDs as well. I suppose it depends just how popular the PSP becomes ... if it reaches PS2-levels of selling, then it would be a nice little earner to put the films out on UMD.
Thu 01/09/05 at 16:31
Regular
UMD movies and music at a fiver, then I'd buy them :).

I think these companies need to remember that they are of lower quality than DVD, and not watchable on TV, so they should be cheaper.

At least I've got a region 1 model where UMD prices are around £12 instead of £17.
Thu 01/09/05 at 16:18
"High polygon count"
I don't have any yet, but what do they contain? Is it the movie only, or are there any menus/extra features as with DVD?

I didn't really see the new format taking off, but having seen the picture quality (on the PSP demo disc), now I'm not so sure! It really is superb. I can't help but wonder if there will be third-party UMD players available in the future. For a movie on the move, it's better than a portable DVD player. But a portable DVD player has the edge, simply because you already own the disc to play in it.

Anyway, what I'd like to see in future is some form of combo available when buying a DVD. A combined DVD/UMD pack would be ideal, either at no extra cost, or for a few quid extra. Or maybe some form of coupon to send away for the UMD version.

If I had the choice of buying a DVD for £13.99 or a DVD+UMD combo for £15.99, I would take the combo pack.

It is a great format, and I'd love for it to succeed. However, currently a UMD movie is no use unless you have a PSP, and to be honest, I can't see many people buying a movie on both formats at the same price.

Yes, I know you can rip a DVD and put it on a Memory Stick, but there are people who are not technically minded enough to do so. There will even be PSP owners who don't have PCs, so for them it isn't an option.

In my opinion, Sony need to push UMD hard by either 'giving them away' with the DVD version, or at least drastically reducing the price of UMD movies to around a fiver.

Chances of any of this happening? Probably very slim. But we can hope.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.