GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Downloading music"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/08/05 at 09:45
Regular
"Mozzy"
Where is the best place to legally download music albums? I want to buy an album which is out today but I haven't got enough to go out and buy it, but I went on Woolworths' website and they have it available to download for £5.99, is this the best place to download it from because it's quite cheap for an album.

Anoter thing, if I want to copy the tracks onto a CD will I be able to do that? They are special files or anything? Just normal MP3 files, yeh?

Thanks.
Mon 29/08/05 at 09:45
Regular
"Mozzy"
Where is the best place to legally download music albums? I want to buy an album which is out today but I haven't got enough to go out and buy it, but I went on Woolworths' website and they have it available to download for £5.99, is this the best place to download it from because it's quite cheap for an album.

Anoter thing, if I want to copy the tracks onto a CD will I be able to do that? They are special files or anything? Just normal MP3 files, yeh?

Thanks.
Mon 29/08/05 at 10:13
"High polygon count"
iTunes is good, but only works if you have Windows XP. The files are in Apple's own proprietary format, and only playable in the iTunes software or on an iPod. But you can burn them to CD and rip to MP3. Prices from 79p per track or albums from around £6.99.

Then there's the Coke website - [URL]http://www.mycokemusic.com[/URL] - I've never bought from there, so I'm not sure of the format but I think it's MP3. Prices around 99p per track, I think.

Or there's Sony Connect - [URL]http://www.connect-europe.com[/URL] - who (obviously) have all the Sony artists. Prices from 89p per track.

If you want the actual CD at a lower price, try Play.com, cdwow.com or 101cd.com

Tell us what album, and I'll let you know the iTunes price.
Mon 29/08/05 at 10:23
Regular
"Mozzy"
Kanye West - Late Registration
Mon 29/08/05 at 10:30
"High polygon count"
Heh!

Well, iTunes and Sony Connect don't appear to have it yet! :-)

It's £7.99 on MyCokeMusic.

I'd go with the Woollies download!

It says that you can burn to CD or transfer it to supported portable players. But once you've put it on CD, you can rip it to any format you like. Go for it! :-)
Tue 30/08/05 at 21:22
Regular
"Mozzy"
Meh, decided to buy the CD instead. Thanks though.
Tue 30/08/05 at 21:27
Regular
I didn't think Woolies offered a downloaing system. Wow. Perhaps it's just the fact that my online buying experience is limited to eBay or perhaps downloading (although that isn't buying)

I'd have thought high-street stores like Woolworths offered the CD rather than the download, but I could be wrong

And while I'm "off on one" why is it that places have items cheaper on the Iternet?, after all, it's actually less effort for them to wrap it up from the shop and for you to cart it home than for them to cart it round to your house. It just makes no sense to me

And you've bothered to go to the store and be followed around by a leech named "Collin" who jumps with excitement and adds comments everytime you so much as glance across at a price tag. If we were in America I'd be suing, putting myself through that and paying more is ... is ... outrageous!

To top it all of "Collin" either bars your exit from the store by grovelling at your feet or the desperate Security Guard plants something expensive on you which you have to pay for

So, yes, I forget the topic and I'm hungry

/End
Tue 30/08/05 at 23:35
Regular
It's cheaper for companies running internet sites because they don't have the overheads of running retail outlets and they charge you for the postage.
Tue 30/08/05 at 23:38
Regular
I've gone off buying downloadable music.

I've tried a ew and the quality isn't good. tescodownloads.com even have songs with pops and crackles in the files.

Anything I want, I'll be buying and ripping from the original, uncompressed CD.

I've even seen sites using compression as low as 128kbps, that's just a disgustingly low quality rate for buying an original copy of a song.

Sony connect is just as bad using 132kbps Atrac3 files.

Dunno what iTunes uses, might be 128 or 192kbps AAC files.

Either way, I thought tescodownloads was the best I used for the 192kbps wma's, but like I said, I've had a few with pops and crackles in them.

It'll be proper CDs for me from now on.
Tue 30/08/05 at 23:44
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I just rip 192kbp/s files from original CD's. I find that's the best way.
Tue 30/08/05 at 23:47
Regular
Game wrote:
> I just rip 192kbp/s files from original CD's. I find that's the best
> way.

No no.

That can't be right.

Not something we agree on :D.

Although I really like Sony's Atrac3plus format for using on my PSP.

Sounds amazing, even at 64kbps, not sure how they've done it, but I can't tell the difference between 192kbps MP3 and 64kbps atrac3plus on my PSP with mdr-ex81 headphones.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.