GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The real future of gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/06/01 at 20:26
Regular
Games will develop beyond our wildest imaginations, the creation of advanced AI will make it impossible to distinguish between human and computer players. You will no longer merely sit in your house bashing away at a controller....YOU will be the controller. You will occupy a station with sensors and monitors, and you will become inside the game, games such as unreal tournament will become a reality, with vast tournaments spanning the globe and advanced projection, projects the game directly into your brain giving ultimate realism as your movements in the station will control the movements of yourself inside the game. This will generate a new way in which games are made, thus more original games will be formed. The pain of every punch, kick and shot can be felt in viscious reality using electrical impulses and your character can be immobilised if hit in the leg for example. There will be a global advance in technology, however this will lead to gamers so rapped up in their virtual enviroment, they will become an underclass of hermits who choose their life in the games over reality....Shunned by society.
Welcome to your future....
Wed 06/06/01 at 10:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Super Gohan wrote:
> If one of them dropped out, it might be different. But even then, it
> is still unlikely that Sega will come out of retirement.

And, is
> there any other company who would want to join the console market.
> They would have to prove themselves against either Sony, Microsoft
> and Nintendo. Is there anyone.

I bet some other electrical retailer would have a go, like panasonic for example, although it would need to have a cool name if it were to take off, suchas...The "geometrical play box" (do you see?)
Tue 05/06/01 at 21:30
If one of them dropped out, it might be different. But even then, it is still unlikely that Sega will come out of retirement.

And, is there any other company who would want to join the console market. They would have to prove themselves against either Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. Is there anyone.
Tue 05/06/01 at 21:15
Regular
i meant if one of them droped out.
Tue 05/06/01 at 21:14
I very much doubt that SEGA will come out of retirement as they are now concentrating on becoming the largest software company in the world.
And with the way the console market is now, who would want to jump in and have a go at beating the three major powers in console gaming.
Tue 05/06/01 at 21:08
Regular
When and if there is a gap in the market somebody will always step in. Especailly in the console market which is worth mega-bucks. If one of the big-three do get knocked out i'm sure sega would come out of retirement and have one more shot at the big time.
Tue 05/06/01 at 21:01
The future may end up being exactly like you described it in your post Cookie Monster. But, if this is going to happen, it is going to be a long way off. And there is one main reason for this.

The big companies that are producing consoles, keep on expanding the consoles and making each one better than the previous one. Now then, if these companies jumped straight into producing consoles that gave us what was described in the original post, than these companies would be losing out on loads of money.
If, on the other hand, these companies only gradually progressed, with each console gradually getting better than the other, these companies would make more money, the money that they wouldn't have gained if they had jumped straight into producing virtual reality consoles and the like.

But, the future, although looking very bright and roset at the moment for gaming, could end up in disaster.
Looking at the present situation, we have three companies that are competing for the console crown, and if you ask me, anyone can win. But, this competition could get out of hand, more companies would be knocked out of the console market, like Sega have already, and then this would most likely lead to there being only one company left, which be boring, and it wouldn't give us a choice of what console to have.

The future could end up being anything, I just hope that these console wars don't lead to the destruction of the console market.
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:53
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
The Game wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:

Doesnt it get a little
> boring?

Nope, not in the slightest, I
> could play Mario 64 all day every day..... He is soooo funny and the
> game is very entertaining! Plus there is so much to do, just
> watching him sleep makes me laugh.... mind you, most things make me
> laugh!

Game

But i have mario 64 as well, and honestly and don't play it any more because it bores me, there is only so many coins you can collect before you want to throw a hammer at the screen.
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:51
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Yes but reality can be fun, and do you not think that the reason that your physical strength is poor because of videogames occupying your life and perhaps making you less likly to exercise? oh and i will try and find that book down at the local library.
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:51
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
cookie monster wrote:

Doesnt it get a little boring?

Nope, not in the slightest, I could play Mario 64 all day every day..... He is soooo funny and the game is very entertaining! Plus there is so much to do, just watching him sleep makes me laugh.... mind you, most things make me laugh!

Game
Tue 05/06/01 at 20:48
Regular
also in games you die....but still be happy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.