GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Strong Armed Domain Renewal"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/08/05 at 00:53
Regular
Is this standard practice? It seems pretty shifty to me

I've just had a domain name fizzle out of its registration period, since I wasn't using it.

Today I get an 'invoice' from Nominet for £94 for its renewal, a proper full-on bill, along with an insistant 'payment is due within 30 days'.

Now call me touchy, but I don't appreciate this kind of sales stunt. It actually looked like they had already renewed it without my consent, and now were demanding money, which at £100 put my pulse rate up a little.

Also, I know it's a tactic of professional fraudsters to send out bogus invoices to businesses, many of whom will pay simply because nobody really has a full grasp on what they actually owe people or what work/services they've contracted for.

Now to me, this kind of 'invoicing' is little better than that kind of fraud. Especially with the absurd prices they're discussing.

Am I just being a bit of a mong, or does this seem a little out of line to anyone?
Fri 26/08/05 at 16:53
So there aren't any advantages in renewing through Nominet than your initial domain provider?
Thu 25/08/05 at 14:05
"High polygon count"
I had one through from Nominet recently for renewal of my wookieemonster.com domain, which I'm giving up. I've had them before, and the first one is quite scary.
Thu 25/08/05 at 12:11
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
> Tyla, where do you get the impression that 123-reg bump up their
> prices on renewals for .uk addresses?
>
> I've been a customer of theirs for a long time, and that's never
> happened to me. I've always renewed for the standard 2 years at the
> same price I registered (£6 or so).
>
> I've only ever got a letter and invoice from Nominet when I haven't
> renewed a domain name.

Admittedly, I haven't used them in 5 years or so, but had 2 domains with them back then which renewals were handed by Nominet at Nominet prices. Look slike they have changed the way they do things. I've been with DC since then with everything.

Oddly enough I received a renewal notice of a .com I have atm... £200!! Almost died!
Thu 25/08/05 at 11:13
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Tyla, where do you get the impression that 123-reg bump up their prices on renewals for .uk addresses?

I've been a customer of theirs for a long time, and that's never happened to me. I've always renewed for the standard 2 years at the same price I registered (£6 or so).

I've only ever got a letter and invoice from Nominet when I haven't renewed a domain name.
Thu 25/08/05 at 09:12
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Dr Duck The Stampede wrote:
> Thanks Danny and MM.
>
> I'm still surprised they use this kind of approach.

Standard practice for Nominet. Standard prices too (which I have told people about before in previous posts). Usually you can get the person you registred it with to renew it for the same price as before, that is unless you went with someone like 123-Reg, then your kinda fubard and will have to pay Mr Nominet their asking price.

The thing people tend to forget about these firms doing doins for £1.99/year when you register them is they are on a bulk buy at a huge discount to the resgistrar. After you initial "cheap" year, you are subject to paying the full price for your domains which can be expensive.
Wed 24/08/05 at 23:49
Regular
Thanks Danny and MM.

I'm still surprised they use this kind of approach.
Wed 24/08/05 at 10:06
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
There was a fake Nominet renewal scam at one point, I'm sure of it. I got one of these (genuine) ones too, but just rang FREEOLA and renewed over the phone for their regular prices - not Nominet's higher fees.
Wed 24/08/05 at 09:51
Regular
"Fruit makes you far"
Hi,

This is standard practice by Nominet - the controlling authority for UK domain names. They are a not-for-profit organisation so they will not be sending you this paperwork for commercial reasons.

As a domain name registrant they have a responsibility to ensure that you do not accidently lose a domain name and to satisfy this responsibility they must send you this notification separate to any contact from Get Dotted (or whoever your domain provider was).

It's actually a 'Proforma Invoice' which in this case means that it is giving you notification of the amount if you wish to renew still. The reddish colour section should explain all this and the fact that you don't need to renew it if you don't want to.

Regards,
Danny
Wed 24/08/05 at 00:53
Regular
Is this standard practice? It seems pretty shifty to me

I've just had a domain name fizzle out of its registration period, since I wasn't using it.

Today I get an 'invoice' from Nominet for £94 for its renewal, a proper full-on bill, along with an insistant 'payment is due within 30 days'.

Now call me touchy, but I don't appreciate this kind of sales stunt. It actually looked like they had already renewed it without my consent, and now were demanding money, which at £100 put my pulse rate up a little.

Also, I know it's a tactic of professional fraudsters to send out bogus invoices to businesses, many of whom will pay simply because nobody really has a full grasp on what they actually owe people or what work/services they've contracted for.

Now to me, this kind of 'invoicing' is little better than that kind of fraud. Especially with the absurd prices they're discussing.

Am I just being a bit of a mong, or does this seem a little out of line to anyone?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.