GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Summerslam 2005 Results Thread"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/08/05 at 00:46
Regular
Summerslam 2005
August 21st, 2005
Washington, D.C.
MCI Center
Attendance: 18,176

Heat
The Hurricane vs Chris Masters
Prediction: Chris Masters
Result: Chris Masters (1:56)
Match: 4/10 - Pretty naff, far too short to be anything good. Better than running overtime like they did at WrestleMania and us missing part of the event.

The event starts with America singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" to some navy guys on the entrance way. Meh - pretentious, self-indulgent "USA" chants afterward.

The promo airs for the PPV.

1. United States Title
Orlando Jordan (c) vs Chris Benoit
Prediction: Chris Benoit
Result: Chris Benoit (0:26)
Match: 2/10 - Benoit hits a German Suplex and nails a Crossface. A pile of crap, because it only lasted 26 seconds. Glad Benoit won the strap after the attrocious match at the GAB.

Eddie's wife tries to convince him out of the match. Eddie says he's still wrestling Rey.

JR and co talk about some more pretentious "God Bless America" crap. I wasn't really listening.

A promo airs for Matt Hardy vs Edge.

2. Edge vs Matt Hardy
Prediction: Matt Hardy
Result: Edge (4:48)
Match: 5/10 - Again, far too short, and a bloody horrible ending. Matt Hardy's bleeding too much, so they end the match. With all the hype, I can't believe how bad it was. And the only reason we couldn't see a 20-minute brawl is because WWE love their next PPV rematches...

Matt Hardy is helped backstage by officials.

We look outside the arena.

A promo airs for Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio.

Ladder Match for Dominic's Custody Papers
3. Rey Mysterio vs Eddie Guerrero
Prediction: Eddie Guerrero
Result: Rey Mysterio (20:19)
Match: 9/10 - First things first - is it me or is the child services bint a different woman? Anyway, AWESOME match for the most part. Had a few botches, but they still looked pretty good. A very tense final five minutes, I must say. Eddie's wife came in and pushed Eddie over when he was on the ladder, and somehow held him back as Rey got the briefcase. I can see it now - Eddie vs Mrs. Guerrero on Smackdown this week. Nice to see a match go to distance on this card, too.

Todd Pissham (>_>) interviews Chris Jericho backstage.

Olympic Gold Medal Match
4. Eugene (c) vs Kurt Angle
Prediction: Kurt Angle
Result: Kurt Angle (4:34)
Match: 6/10 - Some good technical stuff, but Eugene tapped before the match even had any momentum really going. Angle gets a chair out after the match, and Christy tries to protect him, but Angle pulls him away, stands on the chair and is re-awarded his medal as his music plays.

A promo airs for WrestleMania 21 on Fanatix.

The divas wash a limo with the "President of USA" sticker on, and it turns out to be Vince McMahon, who says "Why not?". We pan to the back, with a "McMahon for President" bumper sticker. Very amusing segment, if not a bit random.

5. Undertaker vs Randy Orton
Prediction: Randy Orton
Result: Randy Orton (17:17)
Match: 8/10 - A very strange end. A "fan" comes in, takes overly long to get subdued by security, then when Taker's attention is diverted, Orton nails him with the RKO for the win. We then see that the "fan" was predictably Cowboy Bob Orton. Pretty decent match.

A promo airs for Jericho vs Cena.

Bischoff preps Jericho for the match.

WWE Title Match
6. John Cena (c) vs Chris Jericho
Prediction: Chris Jericho
Result: John Cena (14:50)
Match: 8.5/10 - Some very good wrestling here. The crowd seemed really into it, and there was also a big crowd divide, too. "Let's go Cena/Jericho" chants from opposing crowd members was amusing. I really thought Jericho should've won, though, even though I want to see Jericho finally win the belt as a face (and not the 5-minute tosh with Trips in 2000).

A promo for Batista vs JBL airs. I'm telling you, that's the first and only time Funaki will be in a main event promo.

No Holds Barred World Heavyweight Title Match
7. Batista (c) vs JBL
Prediction: Batista
Result: Batista (9:06)
Match: 7/10 - Nothing particularly special. The ending was alright though - a Powerbomb on the steel ring steps for the win.

They so obviously shortened this match as to not run over the 3 hour mark, though. Oh how I miss the days when they didn't care about running over (*cough* WrestleMania 2000 *cough*).

A promo airs for Hogan vs HBK.

8. Hulk Hogan vs Shawn Michaels
Prediction: Shawn Michaels
Result: Hulk Hogan (21:24)
Match: 8.5/10 - Pretty decent match, ended with Hogan nailing the Big Boot (which HBK hilariously oversold), and the Leg Drop.

HBK then extended his hand, and Hogan shook it, begging the question - what are they doing with HBK!?!?

I'd give the event 8/10. It's a shame some of what could've been great was cack. Match of the night was Eddie vs Mysterio in my opinion.
Tue 23/08/05 at 13:40
Regular
"..."
Reefer wrote:
> TNA >>WWE at the moment.

Seconded.

Summerslam was a good WWE PPV in the current environment, but, it was inferior to all of the TNA PPVs which I've seen since they signed their new TWC deal.

Fortunately the casual fan will soon realise how great TNA is and abandon the WWE forcing them to actually put on good PPVs again...
Tue 23/08/05 at 12:35
Regular
Heh, when Batista didnt go for the pin after the first Batista Bomb I was expecting Brock to come out and deliver the F5 baby!

'Well, here comes the pain!' Was looking forward to that :(
Tue 23/08/05 at 11:58
Regular
"I like cheese"
Have to say, I really enjoyed SummerSlam. The first WWE PPV for a while where I've legitimately enjoyed almost all the matches, with the exception of Hardy vs Edge...what happened there?

Benoit vs Orlando was hilarious, good to see they must still rate Benoit. Then was Hardy vs Edge, don't know what was going on there.

Rey vs Eddie was awesome, in fact, it was so good that they actually had me interested in the storyline! I thought they managed to bring it all together really well in the end. It reminded me of the match between Vince and Shane a couple of years back where Shane won, and he and Linda had an emotional moment at the end and made me go "awwwww!" Hehe, so yeah, enjoyed that.

Angle vs Eugene was cool, nothing totally amazing but an enjoyable match nevertheless...and why was I so surprised that Angle won cleanly? Anyway, loved his 'medal ceremony' at the end. :D

Once again, Orton and Taker put on a good match. Decent ring psychology with Taker seemingly working on Orton's injured shoulder, whilst Orton targeted Taker's leg. Some cool spots throughout, and although it obviously wasn't the fastest match in the world, it had me hooked throughout. When it looked like Orton was gonna use the Tombstone I was on the edge of my seat, but alas, it wasn't to be. But, Orton gets the victory! Just Hogan to go now really!

Cena vs Jericho was excellent also, as was the crowd interaction. A hot crowd always helps. Shame about the results, perhaps, but Cena proved at SS that he's no slouch inside the squared circle. Little surprised that neither Bishoff nor Carlito interfered, but I spose a match with no run-ins is better than a match with any. However, this should have been the main event.

Fortunately, they kept Batista vs JBL short. Nice move to end it with, and it was the right result. Shame there was no Lesnar, though...

Hogan vs Michaels was pretty good too, though I was plugging for HBK all the way. I really thought he'd won it after the steel chair and Sweet Chin Music. Not entirely sure why Hogan won though...hey Shawn, I thought you said you weren't gonna lay down for him? HBK did oversell, but I get the feeling Hogan needs you to oversell...

So, in general, a really good PPV with the matches in the wrong order. Also needed a little more time, because (for once) it basically used up the whole 3 hours.
Tue 23/08/05 at 09:45
Regular
Summerslam = Great, if a little disappointing.

Firstly, Rey vs Eddie was freaking awesome. Match of the night, nothing was gonna beat that afterwards. Eddie botched one of the powerbomb's but he sure as hell nailed the second one, yeah baby!

Secondly, the crap, short matches. I thought Hardy, Edge was gonna be pretty naff what with it just being a singles match (Why not no dq or something? Idiots), and I was right. The only factor that saved it was the blood. Angle, Eugene should of been given waaay longer, as the finish seemed a bit unlikely. I mean, had Kurt even weakened the Ankle beforehand? I think not.

I didn't mind the 26 second match with Benoit, Jordan as Jordan sucks balls. Don't know where Benoit is heading but Jordan just sucks, so I don't care.

JBL, Batista was pretty tame and lame. Where the hell was Brock?! I wanted to see F5's damnit, not smelly Batista Bombs to Ring Steps. Bah, I want Brock...

The Taker, Orton match was just as good as their one at WM, except this one had a weak finish, bah. Still, a good solid brawling match.

Jericho, Cena was suprisingly good. Granted, the crowd made the action seem a little better than it was but there were some nice spots in that match - The Walls of Jericho, the finish, Cena doing a Top Rope Leg Drop heh... Pretty entertaining.

And Hogan, Michaels was a good match too. It didn't come anywhere near to the Rock, Hogan match at Wrestlemania, and it did take a while to get started. But after that, it was entertaining throughout. The ending was pretty good too I thought. It seemed all over after the chair shot, the Elbow Drop and the Sweet Chin Music, but then we got the ol Hulk heroic performance and the Leg Drop of Doom, aha, go Hulk. The shake of the hand was a bit strange though, do they want him to turn back Face again when he's clearly a better Heel?

So in all, Eddie vs Rey, Cena vs Jericho, Taker vs Orton, Hulk vs Michaels = good

JBL vs Batista, Hardy vs Edge, Angle vs Eugene = bad

Jordan vs Benoit = Benoit kicketh asseth, Jordan sucketh balls.
Mon 22/08/05 at 22:13
Regular
TNA >>> WWE at the moment.
Mon 22/08/05 at 22:10
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Sounded like the Washington crowd has been watching some TNA lately. WWE should take note
Mon 22/08/05 at 22:06
Regular
Yeah, me too. The best crowd interaction IMO was in Jericho/Cena.
Mon 22/08/05 at 20:21
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
After just watching a bit of it again while eating dinner i realised how much the crowd were booing Eugene and cheering Angle...must have been too tired to notice it last night.

Also was laughing at Hogans red moustache XD
Mon 22/08/05 at 10:22
Regular
"you've got a beard"
.... mates?? :D
Mon 22/08/05 at 10:14
Regular
"8==="
Yep and if that fails then if one of your mates has Sky/NTL and watched it then they could claim they had bad reception and 'hey presto' a free tape! :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.