GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oil"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/08/05 at 23:08
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Just a few thoughts.

Frankly, I’m rather worried about the price of oil.. Currently it is $67 a barrel. I remember a few months ago panic when it neared $50, huge headlines in the Mail “WHAT $50 A BARRELL WILL MEAN FOR YOU.” Typical crap from the Mail but there is no doubt that the price is getting worse and worse.

There have been no significant oil findings in years and that which is produced is simply not enough. With the booming economy of China the price is set to rise. Christ, China is so desperate for raw materials people are stealing manhole covers to smelt and sell. You could pour a million barrels into China and it’ll still need more.

As for oil prices in the future, “Goldman Sachs expects that a barrel of US light crude will still cost close to $60 at the end of the decade.”
However,

“While Merrill's global energy team also raised its forecasts for long-term US crude prices by 40%, it sees a more manageable price of $42 a barrel by 2009.”

So far this seems worse case scenario: “US commodities guru Jim Rogers has told Reuters that oil will prices will soar upwards to $100 a barrel.
"I don't know about the next quarter or even next year...but it will go to over $100 a barrel," he said.
Mr Rogers, who sees strong oil prices as being based on strong demand and shortage of supply, pointed out there have been no great oil discoveries in "more than 35 years".”

Personally I can’t envisage that without a huge backlash. We are already overcharged for fuel, thanks to tax. I know for a fact the price of a litre in Canada at the minute is $1.04 which works out to 48p. The average price here is 93p. I can only presume it is cheaper in the US. I’m worried about the price of fuel because getting started with a car is expensive enough with insurance, MOT, tax etc. without even taking fuel into account. Of course it’s all the strategy of the government to “encourage” you to use public transport. It would be a better strategy if you were actually provided with public transport but when you live in the middle of nowhere a car is the only option.

Heating our homes is also going to cost more with expensive oil. I don’t know what you lot use but we have oil powered central heating. I can foresee some colder days ahead, perhaps going back to coal will be cheaper? Again, worst case scenario.

Finally, alternative energy sources. These will not emerge any time soon. The reason being of course is that the oil companies own most of the patents! And when they buy them they are conveniently shelved. Do some research if you don’t believe me. I also remember my father telling me about when he was working in England, the company he worked for had an engineer who thought up an idea for a petrol/diesel/oil free car. The patent was bought by a petroleum company.

Let me say this post was only my take on the situation, and some small suspicions about the future. It’s entirely possible some inbred in West Virginia will stumble upon a huge oil bed the day after tomorrow. But it’s also possible the future where oil is concerned will be more bleak.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Oil prediction quotes taken from BBC website
Sun 21/08/05 at 17:05
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I suspect this is because companies who could invest in the technology aren't because oil companies have either paid them hefty sums to continue supporting them with petrol cars or the oil companies themselves have bought up patents as said before... Lets face it, the oil industry has a vested interest in making sure we continue to drive vehicles that run on oil, and do so as inefficiently as possible.
Sun 21/08/05 at 16:07
Regular
The problem with electric/alternative fuelled cars at the moment is the fact that they are

a) Expensive
b) Rubbish
c) Slow

One they get those three measures sorted, maybe the transport world will be able to convert over from the currently well established petrol/diesel system.

America has pretty good fuel prices, when we was there it was $2.20 per gallon instead of litre (they like their imperial measurements still).
Sun 21/08/05 at 13:35
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Yeah true, but in Northern Ireland the transport system is a shambles unless you live in a large town. Plus, we seem to be charged more for fuel. The only upside is, you can go down to the Republic and get it for 70p or so.
Sun 21/08/05 at 13:27
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
But as I (and you...) said, the patents to alternatives have been bought up by oil companies. The government can try and provide public transport, but much of it also relies on oil as well, so running costs are higher for that as well... And in many cases, people driving a car as opposed to getting public transport has nothing to do with there not being sufficient public transport, it's just more convenient for them.
Sun 21/08/05 at 12:30
Regular
"Not a Jew"
I disagree, I think the high taxing is unfair because we haven't been provided with a suitable alternative.
Sun 21/08/05 at 12:28
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Frankly, I don't think there's much wrong with taxing a lot for oil. At present, when most scientists believe global warming is the gravest threat we (humanity as a whole, not 'we' as a country or whatever...) currently face, maybe it's a good thing oil prces are looking to rise even further.

I doubt however the enourmous tax on oil by the government is for any such noble reasons, but meh. To be honest we shouldn't be allowing companies with vested interests buy patents to technology. What's the point of allowing someone to buy a patent when they have absolutely no intention of using it? It's ludicrous, and if governments arer serious about preventing climate change, they actually have to stand up to oil companies, but lets face it, they're not going to, oil companies are horrendously rich, and even if they don't actively bribe governments (which I wouldn't be suprised if they did) a drop in profits for the oil company is doubtless going to mean a drop in tax revenue for governments.

Apparently some company was looking for oil on the Isle of Wight (where I live)... Strange. But yeah, fossil fuels are going to run out sooner or later. May as well be sooner before we do further irreversible damage to our envirenment.
Sat 20/08/05 at 23:29
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Actually no, I didn't know that. Who introduced the inflationary charges anyway?
Sat 20/08/05 at 23:27
Regular
Did you know that the UK has the cheapest fuel prices in Europe BEFORE Tax is added, and the most expensive after.

Also, France and Belguim have already reduced Tax on their fuel to help their citizens, while it's looking like ours is going to be increased by a further 1.22p/litre next month.
Sat 20/08/05 at 23:08
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Just a few thoughts.

Frankly, I’m rather worried about the price of oil.. Currently it is $67 a barrel. I remember a few months ago panic when it neared $50, huge headlines in the Mail “WHAT $50 A BARRELL WILL MEAN FOR YOU.” Typical crap from the Mail but there is no doubt that the price is getting worse and worse.

There have been no significant oil findings in years and that which is produced is simply not enough. With the booming economy of China the price is set to rise. Christ, China is so desperate for raw materials people are stealing manhole covers to smelt and sell. You could pour a million barrels into China and it’ll still need more.

As for oil prices in the future, “Goldman Sachs expects that a barrel of US light crude will still cost close to $60 at the end of the decade.”
However,

“While Merrill's global energy team also raised its forecasts for long-term US crude prices by 40%, it sees a more manageable price of $42 a barrel by 2009.”

So far this seems worse case scenario: “US commodities guru Jim Rogers has told Reuters that oil will prices will soar upwards to $100 a barrel.
"I don't know about the next quarter or even next year...but it will go to over $100 a barrel," he said.
Mr Rogers, who sees strong oil prices as being based on strong demand and shortage of supply, pointed out there have been no great oil discoveries in "more than 35 years".”

Personally I can’t envisage that without a huge backlash. We are already overcharged for fuel, thanks to tax. I know for a fact the price of a litre in Canada at the minute is $1.04 which works out to 48p. The average price here is 93p. I can only presume it is cheaper in the US. I’m worried about the price of fuel because getting started with a car is expensive enough with insurance, MOT, tax etc. without even taking fuel into account. Of course it’s all the strategy of the government to “encourage” you to use public transport. It would be a better strategy if you were actually provided with public transport but when you live in the middle of nowhere a car is the only option.

Heating our homes is also going to cost more with expensive oil. I don’t know what you lot use but we have oil powered central heating. I can foresee some colder days ahead, perhaps going back to coal will be cheaper? Again, worst case scenario.

Finally, alternative energy sources. These will not emerge any time soon. The reason being of course is that the oil companies own most of the patents! And when they buy them they are conveniently shelved. Do some research if you don’t believe me. I also remember my father telling me about when he was working in England, the company he worked for had an engineer who thought up an idea for a petrol/diesel/oil free car. The patent was bought by a petroleum company.

Let me say this post was only my take on the situation, and some small suspicions about the future. It’s entirely possible some inbred in West Virginia will stumble upon a huge oil bed the day after tomorrow. But it’s also possible the future where oil is concerned will be more bleak.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Oil prediction quotes taken from BBC website

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.