GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Fog"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/08/05 at 11:35
Regular
"That's right!"
I grew up watching John Carpenter films. From when I was about 7, staying up on holiday with my brother past 11 to watch The Thing, to watching Big Trouble In Little China and loving Lo Pang, (most of) John Carpenter's films are great (we can forget Ghosts of Mars)

I caught the end of The Fog when I was about 12, just the last ten/twenty minutes when it all comes together and everyone is getting attacked.

Some time last year I spotted it on DVD in HMV, brand new with a shiny box and a bonus disc; I couldn't refuse.

So I sat and was genuinely creeped out and shocked once or twice. This film was made when "have something happen to make them jump, turns out to be nothing, have them turn around THEN get killed" was still a new idea. Even now it works better than the countless "Oops, cat coming out of the cupboard, oh dear, I turned around and got stabbed" moments in every horror film today.

So when I heard they were remaking it I shuddered. I mean, how many GOOD remakes of films have there been? Especially of horror films. Savini's Night of the Living Dead had more gore but was less creepy, 2004's remake of Dawn of the Dead was pretty much the same deal - looks better, not as scary.

I watched the trailer for The Fog; looks like Nick has been replaced by Superman and is now about 20 instead of a "seen it all before" 30 something. The radio DJ is now Selma Blair, who I've not seen do anything except kissing Buffy and Ron Pearlman. There's not much else except lots of running through fog and screaming. Still, it looks decent (remember though, even Pearl Harbour looked watchable from the trailer) and doesn't LOOK like it's urinating all over the original.

So, again, I watched the original Fog (after the 2004 Dawn of the Dead which was better the second time around) and again I was genuinely creeped out by a lot of white smoke and men dressed in black (the guy who designed Robocop no less) And, of course, John Carpenter's "so simple a monkey could write it but so effective I wish I had" music.

No CGI, no blonde running around in her underwear (which the new ones seems to have covered) just creepy music and people being scared of fog.

Here's hoping the remake comes close to being as good...
Sun 14/08/05 at 11:35
Regular
"That's right!"
I grew up watching John Carpenter films. From when I was about 7, staying up on holiday with my brother past 11 to watch The Thing, to watching Big Trouble In Little China and loving Lo Pang, (most of) John Carpenter's films are great (we can forget Ghosts of Mars)

I caught the end of The Fog when I was about 12, just the last ten/twenty minutes when it all comes together and everyone is getting attacked.

Some time last year I spotted it on DVD in HMV, brand new with a shiny box and a bonus disc; I couldn't refuse.

So I sat and was genuinely creeped out and shocked once or twice. This film was made when "have something happen to make them jump, turns out to be nothing, have them turn around THEN get killed" was still a new idea. Even now it works better than the countless "Oops, cat coming out of the cupboard, oh dear, I turned around and got stabbed" moments in every horror film today.

So when I heard they were remaking it I shuddered. I mean, how many GOOD remakes of films have there been? Especially of horror films. Savini's Night of the Living Dead had more gore but was less creepy, 2004's remake of Dawn of the Dead was pretty much the same deal - looks better, not as scary.

I watched the trailer for The Fog; looks like Nick has been replaced by Superman and is now about 20 instead of a "seen it all before" 30 something. The radio DJ is now Selma Blair, who I've not seen do anything except kissing Buffy and Ron Pearlman. There's not much else except lots of running through fog and screaming. Still, it looks decent (remember though, even Pearl Harbour looked watchable from the trailer) and doesn't LOOK like it's urinating all over the original.

So, again, I watched the original Fog (after the 2004 Dawn of the Dead which was better the second time around) and again I was genuinely creeped out by a lot of white smoke and men dressed in black (the guy who designed Robocop no less) And, of course, John Carpenter's "so simple a monkey could write it but so effective I wish I had" music.

No CGI, no blonde running around in her underwear (which the new ones seems to have covered) just creepy music and people being scared of fog.

Here's hoping the remake comes close to being as good...
Sun 14/08/05 at 11:46
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> So when I heard they were remaking it I shuddered. I mean, how many
> GOOD remakes of films have there been?

Blame Carpenter himself. He's quoted saying that the only reason that the remake is going ahead is that he needs the cash.
Sun 14/08/05 at 11:47
Regular
It's already got young Superman in it, so that -10 points in my book.

I don't think they're gonna be able to capture the subtelty and what made the original so good. Though I did hear that John Carpenter and Debra Hill are looking over the project, so who knows?

The day they remake Halloween is the day I phone up my turrist mates and order in a nuke strike on America.
Sun 14/08/05 at 16:06
Regular
"That's right!"
Carpenter's always "needed the cash", apart from Halloween I don't think he's had a single finacially sucessful film (Thing and Big Trouble both bombed, and we all know what happened with Ghosts of Mars)
Sun 14/08/05 at 16:29
Regular
"You've upset me"
I'm expecting a remake of Play Misty For Me before long.
Sun 14/08/05 at 16:36
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Carpenter's always "needed the cash",

Yeah, but there's needing the cash, and admitting in an interview that the only reason he gave the go ahead is to make cash.

I love Carpenter. His Ghosts Of Mars commentary is incredibly funny. "I said to the cash every day we were making a good movie" "No John, you always said it was a piece of crap"
Sun 14/08/05 at 16:47
Regular
I still havn't seen The Fog or The Thing, and I really want to. I'll probably get them next time im in Blackpool, they're fairly cheap, surely.
Sun 14/08/05 at 20:22
Regular
"That's right!"
Great films.

I started watching Escape from New York with commentary before, but I've been knackered all day and ended up having a nap instead. I'll watch the rest of it soon enough...

Though I said that about Bladerunner, and that was a month ago.
Sun 14/08/05 at 20:38
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
J Nash wrote:
> I still havn't seen The Fog or The Thing, and I really want to. I'll
> probably get them next time im in Blackpool, they're fairly cheap,
> surely.

The Thing is his best IMHO, and an excellent movie.
Sun 14/08/05 at 20:48
Regular
"Not a Jew"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Great films.
>
> I started watching Escape from New York with commentary before, but
> I've been knackered all day and ended up having a nap instead. I'll
> watch the rest of it soon enough...
>
> Though I said that about Bladerunner, and that was a month ago.

I don't like watching films in parts. You always seem to lose the mood you were in and sometimes not bother watching the rest for whatever reason.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.