GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Luke, I am your father... I think..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/08/05 at 00:18
Regular
"You've upset me"
This is frightening. Recent research conducted at Liverpool University has indicated that as many as 1 in 25 men are raising someone elses child.

There are currently campaigns to introduce compulsory paternity testing for all births, the idea of which I abhor but can't seem to marshall the argument against.

Any thoughts?
Sun 14/08/05 at 00:18
Regular
"You've upset me"
This is frightening. Recent research conducted at Liverpool University has indicated that as many as 1 in 25 men are raising someone elses child.

There are currently campaigns to introduce compulsory paternity testing for all births, the idea of which I abhor but can't seem to marshall the argument against.

Any thoughts?
Sun 14/08/05 at 00:38
Regular
It shouldn't be illegal to raise someone elses kid as long as it's not against the consent of someone else.

It sucks for the kid, but if no-one ever tests them, no-one finds out (unless they already know). What's the problem?
Sun 14/08/05 at 14:03
Regular
"The definitive tag"
munn wrote:
> It sucks for the kid, but if no-one ever tests them, no-one finds out
> (unless they already know). What's the problem?

Morals and erm...that kind of...yeah, complete nonsense really. They don't ever need to find out. Always seems to cause a load of aggravation when it's done on a TV program.
Sun 14/08/05 at 16:20
Regular
Heh, I'd heard it was one in ten.

It's like prenuptual agreements, only even more difficult to broach:

"Honey, remember when I asked you to sign that contract, even though I'm not expecting to divorce you in two years? Well, it's not that I'm accusing you of sleeping around..."

Classy.

I think making the tests mandatory would just be a way for a bunch of pu**ies who suspect buy are too afraid to ask, to avoid having to actually deal with the issue. Or do all that tricky sneaking around behind her back.

So when I have a kid, I'll be all for it.

Next awkward question - would you want to know if your dad turned out to be someone else?
Sun 14/08/05 at 21:30
Regular
"That's right!"
I look too much like my dad to not be his, so I don't have too much to worry about.

Dunno about my brother, though, he obviously gets his looks from my mum, and my mum doesn't know who her real family is (she was adopted) If I were in that situation I'd want to know my roots.

The other week at work I said I'd want DNA tests before accepting ANY kid as my own. I was only joking but some of the girls thought that was hideous. I just think it's being realistic...
Sun 14/08/05 at 21:34
Regular
"The Red Shift"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> I look too much like my dad to not be his, so I don't have too much to
> worry about.

Same here. Everyone is always reminding me. Plus there's a scary picture of my Grandad on his side, which is actually identical to me when we were that age. Identical in everyway except attire.

> The other week at work I said I'd want DNA tests before accepting ANY
> kid as my own. I was only joking but some of the girls thought that
> was hideous.

Lol.
Sun 14/08/05 at 22:07
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
They conducted similar research at the University of Cork and came to the conclusion that 1 in 25 women were unsuspectingly raising children that weren't theirs.

On a side note I can't really see any difference. If my daughter turned out to be someone else's I'd still have raised her the same way, and if someone told me that my father wasn't my biological one I'd still thank him for at least being my father even if there was no genetic link.

I'd like to see the look on the Child Support Agency's face when I asked for all those payments back, though.
Sun 14/08/05 at 22:12
Regular
"That's right!"
Apparantly my half brother looks just like me... the poor guy.

He's probably about 30 by now and I've never met him, my dad hasn't seen him for about 25 years I think. Scary to think he could forget one of his own kids that easily.

Then again, he took after his mother and she was border line schizophrenic.
Sun 14/08/05 at 23:35
Regular
In fact, I'd be happy if I found out my dad wasn't my dad (if he knew), (though sad too). Whislt I'd know I wasn't related to me dad (sad), I'd be happy because he raised me no different from how he would raise his own.

Still, I look like 3 of my brothers a lot (one of my brohters, raised by my dad, isn't his child, yet he still treats him like a son, and my brother probably isn't all that bothered about his real dad), so unless my dad has been raising the some guys 4 children completely by accident, then it's unlikely.
Fri 19/08/05 at 18:28
"High polygon count"
If I ever become a father (unlikely as I can't stand kids), I'd certainly want to know if the little s**t was mine before I spent the estimated £180,000 raising the little bastid.

Plus, I'd like the opportunity to slap the little fecker's ho of a mother!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.