GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sense of acheivement"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/06/01 at 21:46
Regular
This topic must have appered here a million times, but why do we need cheats in games? Years ago we used to have to complete a game the normal way, and although I myself will use cheats in games, it does take away the sense of acheivement.

One problem I have with this is all the cheat cartridges that are sold. Games companies put these codes in so that they can be found out and used to make gamers lives easier. All these Xplorer cartridges do is to exploit the laziness of the younger gamers to replace their short level of concentration. If there are no cheats in a game, then using a cartridge debunks the point of developers puting cheats in.

If I have to use cheats in a game, then I save two copies of the game, so at least I know how good I am.
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:35
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I completely agree with you gronti. Its nice to finally meet someone of a like mind.
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:19
I've nothing against cheats. I don't use them except for the fun built in ones in console games and perhaps the odd PC game. I don't use them to complete a game and I'm happy. They can be there if they want, but as far as I'm concerned they are just to add to any fun once you've completed the game (or level if it's a similar system to that of Goldeneye).
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:11
I am in total agreement with the sentiments in this topic.

A little while ago I started a similar topic about printing cheats in magazines - unfortunately, the response was 'If you don't like them, don't use them'. Fair enough I suppose, but they should take away the temptation.

I reckon a lot of it is a ploy by software companies to make sure youngsters finish games more quickly and want something new. Hence the release of frequent rubbish games.

I made a suggestion that there be a Q&A section, so that help is only given to a specific part of a game (preferably instead of a cheats section). Don't know if this would be popular though. Too many people are winning GAD through this option
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:10
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
My mate uses cheats all the time but I never do because I feel that if I have cheated, I have not completed it properly. I only cheat after I complete the game a couple of times.
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:57
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I think the idea used in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (and probably loads of other games that I don't know about) was great. It made you work for the cheats and once you had them you couldn't use them on levels you hadn't completed yet. This was an extra reward for gamers and it gave a lot more lastablity to these games as even after you'd finished it, you knew you hadn't cpmletely completed it until you had every cheat (something I managed to do in Goldeney but never Perfect Dark). Ok, sure, Rare released push button cheats for goldeneye but it was quite a few years after its release so that gamers who really were having difficulty still got to see the whole game so they didn't waste their money buying a game that they only got to see the first few levels of.

Another great thing about releasing cheats ages after a games release is that even after you are finished with it you go back to it to try out the new cheats. A perfect example is Rogue Squadron. I had given up on getting all gold medals because I couldn't get a gold on one single mission, Moff Seerdons Revenge. However, one day, whilst on the internet I saw a cheat that let you unlock a new spaceship, the naboo starfighter (or something like that).
This gave me a new hope (get it) and now I have successfully got all gold medals.
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:54
Regular
I like Goldeneye's system of making you work hard to EARN the right to mess around with cheats.

Even then, there's still some people who cheat cartriges to get those cheats without playing the game.

When I make games I'm going to put in a little code so whenever someone tries to use a cheat cartrige, it melts down the electronics on the inside of the cheat device.

This will be accompanied by an FMV sequence of the games character smashing the cheat cartrige with a hammer.

Even Grix might like THAT FMV sequence :-D
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:48
Join my tribe...er I mean, campaign about cheats - look for the post and you'll see my complete agreance.
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:46
This topic must have appered here a million times, but why do we need cheats in games? Years ago we used to have to complete a game the normal way, and although I myself will use cheats in games, it does take away the sense of acheivement.

One problem I have with this is all the cheat cartridges that are sold. Games companies put these codes in so that they can be found out and used to make gamers lives easier. All these Xplorer cartridges do is to exploit the laziness of the younger gamers to replace their short level of concentration. If there are no cheats in a game, then using a cartridge debunks the point of developers puting cheats in.

If I have to use cheats in a game, then I save two copies of the game, so at least I know how good I am.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.