GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whats the best alternative to PS2?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/06/01 at 21:10
Regular
Somebody tell me what is the best alternative to PS2 as its to expensive for my 8 yr old?
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:01
The PS2 is probably going to drop in price closer to Christmas...Apparently if Microsoft and Nintendo have to battle it out, i.e. price cutting in November then the PS2 will probably drop in price to £200 at Christmas, although an earlier price decrease is on the cards...Ild expect £250 by september at least.

However a cheap alternatives right now are the N64, Playstation or Dreamcast. All have a number of great games, which can be picked up cheaply.
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:55
Great Site - cant see how you plug them into the TV though!

The Game wrote:
> TB wrote:
> Somebody tell me what is the best alternative to PS2
> as its to
> expensive for my 8 yr
> old?

Your best bet would be to try
> the below website.

http://www.classicradiators.co.uk

Have a
> look, they're all a little cheaper than the PS2, I would
> imagine!

Game
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:37
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
TB wrote:
> Somebody tell me what is the best alternative to PS2 as its to
> expensive for my 8 yr old?

Your best bet would be to try the below website.

http://www.classicradiators.co.uk

Have a look, they're all a little cheaper than the PS2, I would imagine!

Game
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:35
Sure why not? The PC has a lot of great games. Were you to have a hypothetically real 8 year old of course perhaps a PC does not have enough games to cater for their needs. Of course 8 year olds should be playing things on the N64 (Like Conker's Bad Fur Day, MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA). They do say Nintendo make the best kiddies games. You do get a wide range of choice on the PC though, but I can't think of any game that an 8 year old would like unless you don't mind them being exposed to scenes of violence. Anything without violence is likely to be too complicated. Black & White even has violence (but then it's got everything).
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:33
"possibly impossible"
The PC is okay, but would you feel safe with your child using it?

Actually, it's a good way of learning how to use a computer, and as long as you've backed everything up, you should encourage them to use it in order to do better at IT in school. I know there are at least a couple of posters here that could do with more leway when using their parent's PC as they are pretty competent and their parents should really trust them more.

However, there is the point that the PC isn't as easily accessable for games and doesn't always have the choice of arcade games that the Dreamcast or N64 has.

A Dreamcast has a lot of classic games and most of them are pretty playable, although you will have to watch the content of some games.

The N64 has some excellent games too and they come on cartidges, which are easier to insert than the other console's CDs.

The PS1 is quite popular as well and has a lot of games available quite cheaply (I recomend joining Special Reserve's club magazine if you haven't already for some great offers on slightly older games (under £10 for a lot of classics)

I personally think you can buy either one of these 3 and keep your 8 yr old happy, just find the best deal in a shop or from SR and choose the one with the most free games with it!
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:26
I have already got a PC - is is as good as the other machines if you get the same games?

gronti_v wrote:
> Buy a PC... No wait, that'll cost more. It'll be worth it though.
> Anyway it's not a very original excuse is it "it's for my 8
> year old really, no really". Yes yes no matter how much you
> say it we wont believe you, "it's for you isn't it sir".
> So you'll be forced to give in "*sigh* yes".
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:26
Regular
DC has got some pritty good games. Daytona looks pritty cool and its only £30. it also has some proper wicked games like MSR,shenmue and soul caliber
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:22
Regular
"I like cheese"
Dreamcast or PSX.
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:21
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I have Dreamcast and I wouldn't reccomend buying it. I made a terrible mistake getting it and I still think N64 is better. I think you should either buy a N64 because it's cheap although not many new games are being released (plenty of classy titles out anyway - more than DC), or wait for a GameCube. These apparently come out in the UK early next year so it's quite a long wait and they are going to be selling for $199 in America. This means it will probably cost around 200 quid here and it looks ace.

Dreamcast isn't that bad but there aren't enough good games out to make it a worthy purchase.

Nintendo products are always quality.
Mon 04/06/01 at 21:18
Buy a PC... No wait, that'll cost more. It'll be worth it though. Anyway it's not a very original excuse is it "it's for my 8 year old really, no really". Yes yes no matter how much you say it we wont believe you, "it's for you isn't it sir". So you'll be forced to give in "*sigh* yes".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.