GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"G-card that perfectly complements the processor?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/08/05 at 09:39
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi,

I've only just heard that you wont get the full power from an Nvidia 7800 if you've only got a 4000+ A64 processor. I only own a 3800+ one, so would it be wasting money if I went for it ? (I won't be buying a new processor for at least 3-4 years).

My real question is: what card wont be wasted on the processor due to it not being 'more' faster, and not being more slower? Maybe the 6800 Ultra wont be overkill for my Athlon? Oh I just remebered, the Ultra requires a better quality PSU, while the 7800 runs on a 350W one :S

That's all, thank you.
Thu 11/08/05 at 16:15
Regular
"bot"
Most modern games are shader limited, so even if the 7800GTX was CPU limited slightly, it's still going to outperform a 16-pipeline card.

I was looking at a CPU/GPU comparison thing a while ago and in some games performance (with 7800GTX) was the same on a 3000+ as it was on an FX57.
Thu 11/08/05 at 16:11
Regular
If you even find a graphics card which perfectly compliments anything, let me know :D.
Thu 11/08/05 at 16:09
Regular
"where's my tag?"
J Nash wrote:
> WickedWare wrote:
> My real question is: what card wont be wasted on the processor due
> to
> it not being 'more' faster, and not being more slower?
>
> ...huh?

lol.

I read that even a fast 4000+ will hold back the 7800 in a review somewhere. So I was wondering that if I bought a 7800 it would be identical to a 6800 Ultra because of the processor limiting it. And so I was wondering if I should save the money and get a card that's not too fast for my 3800+, and not too slow. Understand now? Sorry if the previous sentance confused you.
Thu 11/08/05 at 13:33
Regular
WickedWare wrote:
> My real question is: what card wont be wasted on the processor due to
> it not being 'more' faster, and not being more slower?

...huh?
Thu 11/08/05 at 13:30
Regular
"bot"
Just get the fastest graphics card you can afford.
Even if a 7800GTX is 'limited' by your 3800+ (it won't be) it'll still be faster than a 6800U on the same processor. The difference between a 3800+ and a 4000+ will be minimal.
Thu 11/08/05 at 09:39
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Hi,

I've only just heard that you wont get the full power from an Nvidia 7800 if you've only got a 4000+ A64 processor. I only own a 3800+ one, so would it be wasting money if I went for it ? (I won't be buying a new processor for at least 3-4 years).

My real question is: what card wont be wasted on the processor due to it not being 'more' faster, and not being more slower? Maybe the 6800 Ultra wont be overkill for my Athlon? Oh I just remebered, the Ultra requires a better quality PSU, while the 7800 runs on a 350W one :S

That's all, thank you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.