GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox Live! Can somebody explain it 2 me!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/10/04 at 22:30
Regular
"Bah"
Ok so you have a cable/ broadband connection and then somehow you hook the xbox up to the computer or you run the xbox direct. Now what are the costs and i mean EVERYTHING that i would need to get my xbox live as im thinking of doing it so i can play halo 2 live to get ready for the EGC. Thanks
Steve
Tue 19/10/04 at 12:41
Regular
As you've probably read, the best way is to use an ADSL modem/router. This way you can use XBox Live! without the need to have you PC turned on at the same time. The bits you need are relatively cheap, and the process is very simple:

- Netgear DG834G ADSL modem/router (£90 - great for WiFi)
- Two ethernet cables
- Ethernet port on your PC (separate card on on the MoBo...doesn't matter)

Err, that's it, apart from an XBox Live! subscription pack of course! All you do is the following:

- Connect the router to the phone line (just as with any modem)
- Ethernet from the router to the PC
- Ethernet from the router to the XBox

You need the PC turned on to configure the router to connect to the ADSL line, but once you have that sorted out your PC is effectively redundant as far as XBox Live! goes.

Let us know how you get on.
Tue 19/10/04 at 06:34
Regular
Don't forget: USB Modems < All
Mon 18/10/04 at 22:49
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Depends if you want to be connected to the Internet on your PC at the same time as playing the Xbox Live.

Because your Ethernet cable from your pc will have to go into your Xbox insted of the PC, hence no Internet to the PC. This is called a Direct Connection.

If you want the Internet on your PC, at the same time as your playing Xbox Live, you will need to split your Internet connection. This is done by using a Router.
Mon 18/10/04 at 22:43
Regular
"Bah"
aha excellent thanks, sounds like a hell of alot of effort thou. i heard there was a way of dierect connecting the xbox but this doesnt seem to be described there?
Mon 18/10/04 at 22:38
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Read This.

[URL]http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php?threadid=104857&forumid=130[/URL]
Mon 18/10/04 at 22:30
Regular
"Bah"
Ok so you have a cable/ broadband connection and then somehow you hook the xbox up to the computer or you run the xbox direct. Now what are the costs and i mean EVERYTHING that i would need to get my xbox live as im thinking of doing it so i can play halo 2 live to get ready for the EGC. Thanks
Steve

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.