GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm getting DS'd!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/10/04 at 00:12
Regular
Okay, okay, I’ll be first to admit that being a Nintendo fan, there is no way I wont be getting the Nintendo DS. It will be mine, with tonnes of games and I’ll be playing away on all my Game Boy Advance and DS games until I wear out the touch screen…in which case I’ll buy another! I’ll be playing the first new Super Mario Bros game since the 1990s and I’ll find out how viewtiful Joe can get on two small screens!

I wont, however, even consider getting the Sony PSP. Why would I want something with more functions than a battery life? I have a Mini-Discman to play my music on. I have a DVD player to play movies on. And I’ll have a Nintendo DS to play innovative games on. So what else does the PSP offer me? PS2 graphics? Bah. If I want PlayStation 2 graphics I’ll buy Ratchet & Clank and play it on my PS2 right now. I want a handheld to provide me with fun and entertainment. So far my Game Boy Advance and SP have kept me entertained with the fifty+ games I have from Game Boys past to present and I’ll still be able to play at least half of those on the DS once released. What does the PSP offer me that’s different? Memory cards.

So as far as I am concerned, there is no ‘console war’ between the handhelds. I couldn’t give two monkeys if the PSP actually does sell more than the Nintendo DS. The PSP offers me nothing of value and so I wont be getting one. Got a problem with that? Take it up with Sony. After all, it’s their fault I don’t want one.

Anyway, with a GameCube, Xbox and Game Boy Advance SP to run, I’m already getting excited with all the final games of the year due to be released for each system. So, for a short time at least, my excitement over the DS is in its mere infant stages. I want Paper Mario 2, Donkey Konga, Tales of Symphonia, Pro Evolution Soccer 4 and Halo 2 first! However, reading the tidbits of information I find on the internet, my interest in DS is growing on a daily basis. With the thought of playing Super Mario 64 again stuck in my mind, I’ve found myself whistling various Mario tunes in work, and am even on the lookout for a soundtrack CD!

What I’m currently interested in is hooking up my DS to a WiFi connection once I get the equipment installed. I want to play against others around the world from within the range of my home computer’s receiver. I’ll be able to beat people the other side of the world at Mario Kart, play some Four Swords (if the multiplayer allows) with a Link from three different continents and be able to use a more advanced system of text and picture messaging than the latest mobile phones! That is, advanced in that it’ll be free and international (assuming that Pictochat is WiFi compatable).

But that’s not all that’s exciting me about the DS. I want to feel the games. Control with my fingers. I’m a little sceptical as to how this is going to work to an effect that it doesn’t become a chore, however it is a new experience I’ve never had in a game, so I welcome it! I also want to be able to control my games with voice recognition. Sure, a small number of Xbox games have that ability, but they haven’t implemented it too well, with most of the commands resulting in, “Moving into position.” I also want to be able to walk into a shop and have demos automatically download to my DS so I can see what they’re like before I buy! Too many handheld games have I bought and not played after the first day. The fact that extra content could also be downloaded in the same way at special events, cinemas, and various other situations is enough to get me interested too. Queuing up all day to get a Mew back in 1999 (I think it was)? Never again with wireless downloads.

I haven’t had a handheld excite me so much since I was a young teen holding my machine and pressing the buttons. Now I’ll be stimulating the sensitive area, as well as making it go via noises! I can’t wait to try it out and am glad that there’s just so many decent console games due out before then.

The trouble is, with so many quality titles due out for GameCube, Xbox, Game Boy Advance and DS, how am I then going to afford Zelda GC? Please send your donations to…
Tue 19/10/04 at 00:12
Regular
Okay, okay, I’ll be first to admit that being a Nintendo fan, there is no way I wont be getting the Nintendo DS. It will be mine, with tonnes of games and I’ll be playing away on all my Game Boy Advance and DS games until I wear out the touch screen…in which case I’ll buy another! I’ll be playing the first new Super Mario Bros game since the 1990s and I’ll find out how viewtiful Joe can get on two small screens!

I wont, however, even consider getting the Sony PSP. Why would I want something with more functions than a battery life? I have a Mini-Discman to play my music on. I have a DVD player to play movies on. And I’ll have a Nintendo DS to play innovative games on. So what else does the PSP offer me? PS2 graphics? Bah. If I want PlayStation 2 graphics I’ll buy Ratchet & Clank and play it on my PS2 right now. I want a handheld to provide me with fun and entertainment. So far my Game Boy Advance and SP have kept me entertained with the fifty+ games I have from Game Boys past to present and I’ll still be able to play at least half of those on the DS once released. What does the PSP offer me that’s different? Memory cards.

So as far as I am concerned, there is no ‘console war’ between the handhelds. I couldn’t give two monkeys if the PSP actually does sell more than the Nintendo DS. The PSP offers me nothing of value and so I wont be getting one. Got a problem with that? Take it up with Sony. After all, it’s their fault I don’t want one.

Anyway, with a GameCube, Xbox and Game Boy Advance SP to run, I’m already getting excited with all the final games of the year due to be released for each system. So, for a short time at least, my excitement over the DS is in its mere infant stages. I want Paper Mario 2, Donkey Konga, Tales of Symphonia, Pro Evolution Soccer 4 and Halo 2 first! However, reading the tidbits of information I find on the internet, my interest in DS is growing on a daily basis. With the thought of playing Super Mario 64 again stuck in my mind, I’ve found myself whistling various Mario tunes in work, and am even on the lookout for a soundtrack CD!

What I’m currently interested in is hooking up my DS to a WiFi connection once I get the equipment installed. I want to play against others around the world from within the range of my home computer’s receiver. I’ll be able to beat people the other side of the world at Mario Kart, play some Four Swords (if the multiplayer allows) with a Link from three different continents and be able to use a more advanced system of text and picture messaging than the latest mobile phones! That is, advanced in that it’ll be free and international (assuming that Pictochat is WiFi compatable).

But that’s not all that’s exciting me about the DS. I want to feel the games. Control with my fingers. I’m a little sceptical as to how this is going to work to an effect that it doesn’t become a chore, however it is a new experience I’ve never had in a game, so I welcome it! I also want to be able to control my games with voice recognition. Sure, a small number of Xbox games have that ability, but they haven’t implemented it too well, with most of the commands resulting in, “Moving into position.” I also want to be able to walk into a shop and have demos automatically download to my DS so I can see what they’re like before I buy! Too many handheld games have I bought and not played after the first day. The fact that extra content could also be downloaded in the same way at special events, cinemas, and various other situations is enough to get me interested too. Queuing up all day to get a Mew back in 1999 (I think it was)? Never again with wireless downloads.

I haven’t had a handheld excite me so much since I was a young teen holding my machine and pressing the buttons. Now I’ll be stimulating the sensitive area, as well as making it go via noises! I can’t wait to try it out and am glad that there’s just so many decent console games due out before then.

The trouble is, with so many quality titles due out for GameCube, Xbox, Game Boy Advance and DS, how am I then going to afford Zelda GC? Please send your donations to…
Tue 19/10/04 at 08:16
Regular
Well as the release dates for the DS and Zelda GC are a good 8 months apart... I'm sure you won't struggle TOOOOO much.
Tue 19/10/04 at 10:09
Edgy wrote:

>
> But that’s not all that’s exciting me about the DS. I want to feel
> the games. Control with my fingers. I’m a little sceptical as to how
> this is going to work to an effect that it doesn’t become a chore,
> however it is a new experience I’ve never had in a game, so I welcome
> it!

Trust me, the "fun" wears off quickly. And that's with using a top quality touchscreen, not sure how much "innovation" is present wiggling a stylus/finger over a small screen.
Tue 19/10/04 at 13:07
Regular
It's not the novalty of it, for the "fun factor" it's for the new types of games that are spawned because of it.
Tue 19/10/04 at 13:48
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Zelda GC > all of them!
Tue 19/10/04 at 16:21
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Not really excited about the new Zelda but I thought it isn't coming out until Q4 2005.
Tue 19/10/04 at 16:39
Regular
"gsybe you!"
How can you not be excited by the new Zelda?
Tue 19/10/04 at 17:03
Regular
It's not so much the money I'll have to spend on the console itself. But the games for the 4 consoles and PC I already have as well as the games for the DS.

It all costs money :P

Still, it wont stop me getting them.

I'll just cut down on third party crap :D
Tue 19/10/04 at 17:25
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Cyclone wrote:
> How can you not be excited by the new Zelda?

Well, to be fair, I haven't got a GC but that isn't the reason. Zelda games just aren't my type of game, they're good but I dont get very excited over them.

And before you ask, no - I haven't bumped my head lately.
Tue 19/10/04 at 17:27
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Edgy wrote:
> It's not so much the money I'll have to spend on the console itself.
> But the games for the 4 consoles and PC I already have as well as the
> games for the DS.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's hard when you have all three consoles because you dont want to buy loads of games for one and hardly buy any for the other two. Thats why I sold my Cube, there were no games that REALLY interested me and it just seemed to be just sitting there not wanting to be played so I sold it and got a GBA SP with a whole bunch of games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.