GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Films that need a re-make."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/06/01 at 19:18
Regular
I jus**t read that Spawn is going to have a re-make/sequel and to me this sounds like a pretty good idea. The Spawn s**tory is violent and complex and didn't translate well to the terrible kids special-effects film that got made. The re-make is going to be R rated and will concentrate on Spawn as the dark loner (in the same way as Tim Burton's Batman got rid of a whole hos**t of lesser characters). The clown, etc are being dumped in favour of a darker vision that s**ticks closer to Todd McFarlane's original creation.

This got me thinking about re-makes in general. Over recent years we have seen such pointless re-makes as Psycho (what a load of bull sh*t) and Get Carter.

Ring (the Japanese horror movie) has already been re-made in Taiwan as 'The Ring Virus' and looks likely to have a god-awful Hollywood re-make any time soon. This is jus**t not necessary. If more money had been spent marketing the film the firs**t time round it could have had a similar success to, the highes**t grossing subtitled movie of all time, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I think the only films that need to be re-made are ones that a) didn't live up to expectations the fis**t time round (ie. great plot ideas but bad script, actors or director), b) weren't as good as they could of been due to tough censorship (ie. many gritty 1950s film noirs were toned down at the scripting s**tage due to intense pressure from the Hays Production code) or c) when the director/ scriptwriter is able to put a new spin on things (ie. The Faculty by Robert Rodriguez is esssentially a re-make of The Body Snatchers).

There is absolutly no reason to re-make a film like Psycho that is s**till greaat today and despite it's age s**till captivates millions of viewers. The only reason that someone would remake Psycho is $$$$MONEY$$$$. Luckily though it wasn't a big success so if we're lucky we won't have to endure re-makes of 'Citizen Kane', 'Casablanca' or 'Gone With The Wind'!

Can anyone think of a film that desperately needs a new-improved re-made version?
Fri 08/06/01 at 19:18
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I think that when cartoons get made into films they are a big disapointment...

The Flintstones was ok I guess but is usually aimed at the same audience that the cartoons are 6 year olds.

I think Scooby Doo would be well mince!

Thats my pointless views on films for the day then!
Fri 08/06/01 at 18:28
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Burton has filmed 3 different endings so as to see which works best.

As for Scooby-Doo...man...talk about urinating on childhood memories.

Cast:

Shaggy - Matthew Lillard (scream, dead man's curve)
Fred - Freddy "dead eyes" Prinze Jr
Daphne - Sarah Michelle Gellar
Velma - some faceless actress/model/whatever

Scooby will be CGI and best of all..NO SCRAPPY DOO

No more do we suffer that little, irritating Joe Pesci type puppy.
Jesus, everyone I know would quite happily give that mutt distemper and rabies.
Fri 08/06/01 at 17:41
Apparently they're not having the statue of liberty scene in the remake of Planet of the Apes, which is a shame, that's one of the best bits.

Does anyone know anything about the Scooby Doo movie they're making, like who's in it? I've heard that Sarah whatshername from Buffy is in it, but don't know if it's true - I wonder if she'll be playing Scrappy Doo......!
Fri 08/06/01 at 12:55
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Can I?
Fri 08/06/01 at 12:51
Regular
Normally I would have said no way to a Apes remake... but I do like Tim Burton. It's going to be interesting to see his viewpoint of it...

I wouldn't have expected in a million years for him to take it on though. The contrast of Batman to Apes is quite huge... but the concept of Apes, I think, is the sort of thing Tim would have done anyway...

Sorry, babbling. Just got back from 3 hour essay exam. Can't feel most parts of my body.
Fri 08/06/01 at 12:42
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Don't know.

It's Tim Burton, and he usually makes quality, but at the same time the original is a classic and shouldn't really be tampered with.

As long as they keep "Get your hands off me you damn dirty ape" it'll be ok
Fri 08/06/01 at 12:40
Regular
"not dead"
On the subject of remakes, Planet Of The Apes.

What do you reckon, any good?
Fri 08/06/01 at 11:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
As long as Ladyboy DeCaprio is on the receiving end of the Banjo, I'll watch it.
Fri 08/06/01 at 11:49
Regular
"not dead"
What next, a remake of Deliverance, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck and Jude Law?
Fri 08/06/01 at 11:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
If anyone still thinks remaking classic movies is a good idea (King Kong anyone? ouch)

Go read the reviews of Rollerball.

Yep, I've held off on this one just in case it's ok.
But every single review is panning it, saying "Why on earth remake this? It sucks"

I love the original, James Caan is fantastic in it, but Chris Klein????

And, warning, they are remaking The Mean Machine (a classic 70's prison football movie with Burt Reynolds).

That will sink faster than the anchor on the Titanic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.