GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why games can't compare to life (well for now)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/06/01 at 18:36
Regular
I would just like to say this is NOT a report about computer games being bad for you or that you are wasting your life etc, etc.

The reason that this topic came into my head was through tradgedy in my life and I am afraid I cannot reveal what happened but lets just say it has changed my outlook on life but strangely enough it changed my outlook on computer games as well!

Basically this topic is about how life throws things into your life, whether they were expected or not. However computer games portray this but not to the extent that life does. Why? Because (my english teacher would have a fit knowing I started a sentence with 'because') once you have played and completed a game their aren't too many thrills left in it and there are rarely any new things you discover when playing the game again - In computer games there are rarely any unexpected events in the game (as a whole).

If games were as unpredictable as lives then the gaming industry would have reached its climax (in my opinion). Unpredictability is something that games will not be able to provide the gamer in my life-time but it is something I would like to see as it WOULD increase longevity in games ten-fold (at least).

In reality games that are unpredictable would probably upset some gamers by the fact that walk-through for games would be pretty useless. However it may inpire more conversation about games as there could be an infinite amount of possibilities to what happens in your game (I am not meaning just adventure games or sports games, I am talking about them ALL!) think about it, a person manages to run onto the track on a Formula 1 game, gun jams or drop your gun on Quake 832 (they'll be making them long after I die!).....the possibilities are endless and that is my point. Games with endless events that could occur but do not necessarily have to, perhaps by the time this "technology" is invented we will only need 1 game per genre as the games are so open ended however until then we'll have to make do with program controlled games that become monotonous.
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:24
Conventional Games as we know it cant be unpredictable, the games are designed by man and computers cant think for themselves so the game will be limited in its size(and storage capacity), and programming hours....These improvements will be gradual (i.e. genome soldier will commit suicide upon seeing Snake etc...) but no major suprises.

Although it would be nice if the guards cowered more when you had a big gun!
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:12
Its a nice whimsical idea, but ultiamately it is impossible for a game to be similar to life. You would never be able to complete a "life" game, because that wouldn't make sense, it would just keep on going for ever and ever and ever...

As for unpredictable games, it would be fascinating for a while but after that it would just be plain annoying-if you drop your gun in Quake you wouldn't think "wow, that's amazing", you would think "oh $h1t, I'm dead". Frustrating. And what if, in any type of game, the game threw an impossible situation at you e.g. too many enimies with rochet launcers when all you have is your bare hands in an FPS, or a jump that was just too big to be done in a platformer. You will have wasted your money.
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:05
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
What is wrong with barrels may I ask. I personally find barrels to be very exciting objects.
Mon 04/06/01 at 22:01
it'll have the same amount of suprises as the first Donkey Kong "oo look he threw a barrell what on earth will he do next... wow look another barrell how original, ohh ahh barrell!
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:43
Regular
....tsk not again..... sigh
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:41
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
unpredictable*
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:40
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hedeo Koshima is working on an "uppredictable" game.
Mon 04/06/01 at 18:36
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
I would just like to say this is NOT a report about computer games being bad for you or that you are wasting your life etc, etc.

The reason that this topic came into my head was through tradgedy in my life and I am afraid I cannot reveal what happened but lets just say it has changed my outlook on life but strangely enough it changed my outlook on computer games as well!

Basically this topic is about how life throws things into your life, whether they were expected or not. However computer games portray this but not to the extent that life does. Why? Because (my english teacher would have a fit knowing I started a sentence with 'because') once you have played and completed a game their aren't too many thrills left in it and there are rarely any new things you discover when playing the game again - In computer games there are rarely any unexpected events in the game (as a whole).

If games were as unpredictable as lives then the gaming industry would have reached its climax (in my opinion). Unpredictability is something that games will not be able to provide the gamer in my life-time but it is something I would like to see as it WOULD increase longevity in games ten-fold (at least).

In reality games that are unpredictable would probably upset some gamers by the fact that walk-through for games would be pretty useless. However it may inpire more conversation about games as there could be an infinite amount of possibilities to what happens in your game (I am not meaning just adventure games or sports games, I am talking about them ALL!) think about it, a person manages to run onto the track on a Formula 1 game, gun jams or drop your gun on Quake 832 (they'll be making them long after I die!).....the possibilities are endless and that is my point. Games with endless events that could occur but do not necessarily have to, perhaps by the time this "technology" is invented we will only need 1 game per genre as the games are so open ended however until then we'll have to make do with program controlled games that become monotonous.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.